Middle and Last Names Were Interchanged

What if you found out that your last and middle names were interchanged so that you are actually carrying your mother’s maiden last name as your last name?  How do you correct these kinds of errors in your NSO Birth Certificate (now PSA Birth Certificate)?

This error is considered an error in encoding and can be rectified by filing a petition for correction of clerical error.  Here’s what you need to do:

Prepare the following documents:

  1. Certified machine copy of the birth record containing the entry to be corrected;
  2. Not less than two (2) private or public documents upon which the correction shall be based like Baptismal Certificate, Voter’s Affidavit, Employment Records, GSIS/SSS records, medical records, business records, driver’s license, insurances, land titles, certificate of land transfer, bank passbook, NBI / Police Clearance, civil registry records of ascendants;
  3. Notice / Certificate of Posting;
  4. Prepare payment of P1,000 as filing fee.  If the petition is filed abroad, filing fee is USD 50.00 or equivalent value in local currency.
  5. Other documents may be required by the civil registrar.

The following may file the petition:

  • Owner of the record
  • Owner’s spouse
  • Children
  • Parents
  • Siblings
  • Grandparents
  • Guardian
  • Other person duly authorized by law or by the owner of the document sought to be corrected;
  • If owner of the record is a minor or physically or mentally incapacitated, petition may be filed by his spouse, or any of his children, parents, siblings, grandparents, guardians, or persons duly authorized by law.

The petition must be filed at the Local Civil Registry (LCR) office of the city or municipality where the birth was registered.  If the petitioner has moved to a place that is far from the place of birth, the petition may be filed at the LCR of his current location.  If the owner was born abroad, the petition must be filed with the Philippine Consulate where the birth was reported.

Source: http://www.psa.gov.ph/civilregistration/problems-and-solutions/interchanged-middle-and-last-name