Tag Archive: PSA Delivery

9 Sept 17

We covered this topic last year but thought it would be good to write about it again since we receive a lot of questions about changing one’s name in his or her passport.

Married Filipinas are not mandated by law to use their husband’s last name – whether in their IDs, transactions and yes, even in their passports.  Women have the option to retain their maiden last name even after they are married.

If you are married and wish to use your husband’s last name in your passport, you need to present a copy of your PSA marriage certificate to the DFA when you renew your existing passport.

On the other hand, if you have been using your husband’s last name in your passport and have decided to switch back to your maiden name, you can only do so under two circumstances:

  1. If your marriage has been annulled or
  2. If you have been widowed.

In both cases, you need to present supporting documents to the DFA before you are issued a passport with your maiden last name in it.  If your marriage was annulled, you must present an annotated copy of your PSA marriage certificate, one that bears the court order or finality of the annulment.  If you are a widow, you need to present the PSA death certificate of your spouse.

So ladies, remember that once you decide to use your married name in your passport, you cannot simply go back to using your maiden last name anytime. So think about it before you change your last name in your IDs.





9 Sept 12

Now here is a valid question that newly-annulled parents often ask us.  So we endeavored to gather the facts to try and answer this rather sad question (one of the saddest, if not the saddest). Our research led us to www.smartparenting.com.ph where the same question was raised and the answer was provided by one Atty. Nikki Jimeno.  We just wish to acknowledge and give them credit for the insightful article they published on their website.

Read on:

If the annulled couple’s marriage was proven to be void from the beginning, then their children are generally considered illegitimate.  What this actually means is that in the annulment process, it was proven that the marriage that the ex-couple had was essentially fake – and it is as if they were never married at all.  Therefore, their children are essentially born out of wedlock – illegitimate.

According to the Family Code of the Philippines, the following marriages are considered void from the beginning:

  • Contracted by any party below 18 even with the consent of parents or guardians;
  • solemnized by any person not legally authorized to perform a marriage unless either or both parties believed in good faith that the solemnizing officer had the legal authority to do so;
  • solemnized without a marriage license except those expressly exempted by law to secure a marriage license;
  • bigamous or polygamous marriages;
  • contracted through mistake of one of the contracting parties as to the identity of the other;
  • incestuous marriages as defined in Article 37 of the FC; and
  • void marriages by reason of public policy (i.e. between step-parents and step-children, between adopting parent and adopted child).

If, however, the marriage was valid but was later declared void due to the psychological incapacity of one or both of the spouses under Article 36 of the Family Code, the children are still considered legitimate.  This is because their parents’ marriage was legitimate, duly registered and acknowledged by the state and did not violate any provision in the Family Code.

Does my child need to drop his father’s last name after my annulment?

If you want your son to continue using his father’s last name, that is alright and permitted by law.  Illegitimate children are permitted to use their father’s last name as long as the biological father acknowledged his paternity over the child.  Only his birthright was affected by the annulment.


I want my child to be a legitimate child.

An unwed mother can adopt her own child and make his status legitimate, according to RA 8552 of the Domestic Adoption Act of 1998.  You need to seek the father’s consent and he must be willing to lose his parental authority over the child.  Essentially, your child will have to drop his biological father’s last name and use your maiden last name instead.


Source: www.smartparenting.com.ph


9 Sept 2b

Last week, we discussed the basic information about the Employees’ Compensation Program or ECP.  Most private employees are not aware that there is an ECP that works like insurance for employees and workers that is why we decided to feature this topic.

Today, we will continue with more information such as who can be identified as beneficiaries of an employee under the ECP and how to file EC claims.  All these information are lifted from the ecc.gov.ph website.

Read on.

  1. In case an employee dies, who shall receive the income benefits to which he is entitled to?

Benefit recipients are the employee’s beneficiaries.

  1. Who are the employee’s beneficiaries?

The beneficiaries shall be either primary or secondary and determined at the time of the employee’s death.

The following beneficiaries shall be considered primary:

  1. The legitimate spouse living with the employee at the time of the employee’s death until he remarries; and
  2. Legitimate, legitimated, legally adopted or acknowledged natural children, who are unmarried, not gainfully employed, not over 21 years of age, or over 21 years of age provided he is incapacitated and incapable of self-support due to physical or mental defect which is congenital or acquired during minority.

The following beneficiaries shall be considered secondary:

  1. The legitimate parents wholly dependent upon the employee for regular support;
  2. The legitimate descendants and illegitimate children who are unmarried, not gainfully employed, not over 21 years of age, or over 21 years of age provided he in incapacitated and incapable of self-support due to physical or mental defect which is congenital or acquired during minority.

Primary beneficiaries shall have a priority claim to death benefits over secondary beneficiaries.  Whenever there are primary beneficiaries, no death benefit shall be paid to his secondary beneficiaries.

  1. When shall EC claims be filed?

EC claims must be filed within the period of three years from:

  • In case of sickness, from the time the employee was unable to report for work;
  • In case of injury, from the time of the incident;
  • In case of death, from the date of death.

The filing of disability or death benefits either under the SSS law or the GSIS law within three years from the time the cause of action accrued would stop the running of the prescriptive period.

  1. Where are EC claims filed?

All EC claims may be filed by the claimant at his option in the GSIS regional office (for employees in the public sector) or SSS branch (for employees in the private sector), nearest to his place of work or residence.

As employees, especially those in the private sector, must make sure that the employer is regularly paying the employee’s EC contributions.  This is the best way to ensure that you can claim from the ECC later on.


Source: www.ecc.gov.ph


8 Aug 22 (1)

My friend remembers that one of the most challenging things she had to accomplish for her wedding was securing a marriage license.  She recalls having a handful of questions about it but not being able to find anything of value online.  She ended up visiting the Quezon City hall where she finally got a list of the things she needs to prepare, the fees she needs to pay, and answers to her FAQs.

Her experience inspired me to write today’s blog and I hope that this too can help other would-be brides and grooms in preparing for their wedding (at least on getting the marriage license part, haha!).  Here are the questions she had in mind then; I turned them into FAQs!

Can I apply for a marriage license in Metro Manila even if my wedding will be held in Baguio?  I work in Manila and have lived her (temporarily) for seven years.  I was born and raised in Baguio.

Yes, you can.  Actually, you can apply for a marriage license at any of the following areas:

  • Where you or your fiance reside.
  • At your or your fiance’s hometown.

Just remember that when applying for a marriage license, you need to personally appear at the city hall or municipal hall – you cannot send a representative to secure the license for you.

You can use the marriage license anywhere in the Philippines.

What are the requirements I need to prepare?

  1. Duly accomplished marriage license application form (four copies).
  2. PSA birth certificates of the bride and groom.
  3. PSA Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR)
  4. Certificate or proof that you have completed the required marriage counseling or seminar. There are some cities and municipalities that require the couple to attend the marriage counseling and the family planning seminar even if you have attended this before. Always check with the city hall and don’t be surprised if this is part of their requirements.
  5. Government-issued IDs such as your passport, UMID, Voter’s ID, SSS or GSIS, etc.
  6. Of course, your personal appearance.

Any other additional requirements I should know of?

Some city halls may require you to submit additional documents so it is best to have the following ready as well:

  1. Baptismal certificate
  2. Residence certificate/Tax certificate/CEDULA

Prepare photocopies of your documents as the city hall is sure to ask for copies for their records.

How do I file for a marriage license?

Once you have all the documents ready, you can file your application at the city or municipal hall of your choice.

Marriage license fees range between Php 280 to Php 350.  You can verify at the Treasurer’s office before you begin your transaction, just to be sure.

You will be issued a receipt after payment; this shall also serve as your claim stub.  Normally, a marriage license is released within 10 days after filing and payment.

Your marriage license is valid only for 120 days from the date of issue.  If you do not get married within the prescribed period, you will have to go through the entire process of securing a marriage license again, including the seminars.

If this article helped you share it with someone too!


6 June 28

January 2020 (and onwards) may just be the best time to give birth after SSS announced that maternity benefits for eligible SSS female members could reach up to P70,000 by next year.  According to the SSS, the recently implemented new minimum and maximum monthly salary credit for members and as a result, the usual maternity benefit which was only at P32,000 could double up to P70,000.  This is another good news from the SSS after the approval and implementation of the Expanded Maternity Leave Act that guarantees female members of 105 days of paid maternity leave, among other privileges.

How to avail of the SSS Maternity Benefit?

  • Female SSS members with complete monthly contributions.
  • Female SSS members who have paid contributions of not less than 3 months within the 12-month period before the date of delivery or miscarriage.
  • Member must submit a duly accomplished Maternity Notification Form or the SSS Form MAT-1 with proof of pregnancy (ultrasound, doctor’s report).
  • Employed members may submit the SSS Form MAT-2 for maternity reimbursement so the employer can provide the salary credit due from SSS. This should be given to the employee by the time she goes on maternity leave.
  • Voluntary, work-at-home, and separated members may only submit the SSS Form MAT-1 and the cash allowance shall be given directly to the member.

To know how to compute for your SSS Maternity Benefit, you can read this blog we released in May 2017.







6 June 27

The National ID has been the subject of a lot of reports ever since the President signed this into law last August 2018.  Recently, the government announced that the pilot run for the registration and issuance of the ID shall begin on September 2019, driving some to scamper for copies of the required documents and IDs – foremost of which is your PSA birth certificate.

I agree that this has become a controversial issue as some groups think that having this kind of system will only put an individual’s right to privacy at risk.  What with the proliferation of cases of identity theft and online scams, your personal details could be used without your consent and your privacy be compromised.  I wasn’t comfortable with the idea myself.

Anyhow, I trust that the government understands the pros and cons of the National ID system and I am now one of the many who are looking forward to its full implementation in September.  And so before we finally let the government collect our personal details, here are some important facts, gathered from a report of the Rappler, that we all need to know regarding the National ID:

  1. The PhilSys (Philippine Identification System) is the government’s central identification platform. It is a means to simplify public and private transactions with the use of just one ID.
  2. It is expected to greatly improve the delivery of government services especially for Pinoys who lack proper government-issued identification cards.
  3. It aims to eliminate the need to present other forms of identification when transacting with the government and private sector.
  4. It can open up opportunities especially for the poor and marginalized and will make public service delivery more efficient.
  5. It also aims to reduce corruption and curtail bureaucratic red tape, prevent fraudulent transactions, and ease doing business in the Philippines.

What will I get upon registration?

  • All Filipino citizens and aliens shall register in the system.  Babies born after the law takes effect shall be registered upon birth.
  • Each registered person shall be given a PhilSys number (PSN) that is randomly generated, unique, and permanent.
  • You will be issued a physical identification card that will also serve as an official government-issued identification document.  This can be used in various transactions that may require proof of identification.


Where can I use my PhilID or PSN?

  • Applying for social welfare and benefits.
  • Applying for services offered by the GSIS, SSS, PhilHealth, Pag-IBIG, and other government agencies.
  • Applying for passport and driver’s licenses.
  • Tax-related transactions.
  • Registration and voting identification purposes.
  • Applying for schools, colleges, universities, and other learning institutions.
  • Applying for employment and other related transactions.
  • Opening bank accounts and other transactions with banks and financial institutions.
  • Verifying criminal records and clearances.
  • Other transactions defined in the IRR.

Are you also looking forward to getting your very own National ID? I know I am.  Keep following us for more information on the National ID’s pilot run and if you have questions, feel free to send us a message here or a private message in our Facebook page.

Source: www.rappler.com



6 June 26_1

Did you know that employment figures improved in April (2019) and that more people had better job opportunities this year compared with April of 2018?

The Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) recently reported the employment rates and it is encouraging to know that some 74,000 Filipinos landed jobs in the second quarter of this year.  Good news, eh?

We summarized the rest of the employment statistics for better appreciation. Read on below:

More men are unemployed than women.

  • Of the total unemployed persons, 62.7% are men, 37.3% are women.
  • 43.8% are from the 15 to 24-year-old age group
  • 30.9% are from the 25 to 34-year-old age group.

Among the unemployed persons in April 2019, 23.8% are college graduates, 10.7% are college undergraduates, and 26.4% completed junior high school.

Regions with the most number of unemployed residents:

  • ARMM – 9%
  • NCR – 6.3%
  • Ilocos Region – 5.9%
  • Bicol – 5.8%

Regions with the highest employment rates:

  • Cordillera Administrative Region – 97.1%
  • Cagayan Valley – 97%
  • Davao Region – 96.9%
  • Caraga – 96%

Workers were grouped into three broad sectors:

  • The services sector – 58.5%
  • Agriculture – 22.3%
  • Industry – 19.7%

Employed persons fall into any of these categories:

  1. Wage and salary workers – those who work in for private households, private establishments, government or government-controlled corporations, and those who work with pay in own family-operated farm or business. They make up 63.3% of the total employed population.
  2. Self-employed workers without any paid employee – 27.6% of the total employed in April 2019.
  3. Employers in own family-operated farm or business
  4. Unpaid family workers – 6.4% of the total employed in April 2019.

Of the total employed persons in April 2019, 67.6% are full-time workers or those that work for 40 hours or during the reference week while 31.3%  are part-time workers or those that work less than 40 hours per week.

Underemployment Statistics

Underemployed individuals are those that are employed but are still actively looking for other opportunities to make ends meet.

  • Underemployed individuals comprise 13.5% of the total workforce.
  • Underemployed persons who work for less than 40 hours in a week accounted for 60% of the total underemployed in April 2019.  This number is higher than the 52.6% that registered in the same month last year.

Labor Force Participation Rate

This is the number of people that are available for work as a percentage of the total population.  According to the PSA’s report, this is at 61.4% this year; a lot more impressive than last year’s 60.9% or January 2019’s 60.2%.

For more information on Philippine statistics, visit the PSA website www.psa.gov.ph and click on Statistics.


6 June 20_2

May forever!  With the mobile number that you are using, that is.

Thanks to a new law signed by the President last February, us Pinoys now get to keep our mobile numbers even when we decide to change service providers or switch from prepaid subscription to postpaid subscription, at no cost.  This is covered by the RA 11202 or the Mobile Number Portability Act.

The Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) has been released but will officially take effect on July 2, 2019.  By then, mobile subscribers may already apply for the Mobile Number Portability (MNP) to secure their mobile numbers.

How do you qualify for the MNP?

  1. The subscriber must not have an outstanding financial obligation with the donor provider.
  2. The mobile number used in a device is not locked to any mobile service provider.
  3. 60 calendar days must have elapsed from the date of activation of the ported number.
  4. No pending request for transfer or assignment of the mobile number.
  5. No order form a court of law stopping the mobile number porting.
  6. Not blacklisted by a service provider due to previous fraudulent activities.

How to apply for MNP?

  1. A subscriber who intends to avail of the MNP service shall first request from donor provider a 9-digit unique subscriber code (USC) which is valid for 15 days.
  2. The subscriber shall submit his or her porting application to the recipient provider. This can be done by the subscriber himself or through an authorized representative, or online. This can also be done through SMS using a 5-digit access code.
  3. The telco must transmit the clearance to the other company preferred by the subscriber within 24 hours upon receipt of the application.
  4. The porting process should be completed within 48 hours after a telco receives the application as long as the subscriber has no outstanding financial obligation or has not been rejected.

Postpaid and prepaid subscribers of the same mobile network may also use the MNP service and the same qualifiers shall apply.  This, too, must be processed by the network within 24 hours.

The MNP service shall be implemented at no cost to mobile service subscribers.






6 June 13

Are you planning to work abroad as an OFW?

Many Filipinos have found good employment and earning opportunities abroad, whether as a professional or a skilled worker.  Filipinos are known for being industrious, trustworthy, and hardworking that is why it is not surprising to know that wherever there is a job to be done in any part of the world, a Filipino is almost always in the payroll.

There are, however, certain countries where Pinoys are not allowed to seek employment.  The Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) identified these countries and we are sharing the list below for your reference.  If you are applying for an overseas job through an agency, make sure you are not offered a job at any of these countries.  Bear in mind that some recruitment firms will try to make you believe that it is safe to work in these areas even if it is included in the banned list.  Please do not fall for such claims.  Always deal with legitimate agencies and recruitment firms.

Countries where the deployment ban is imposed due to unstable security:

  1. Afghanistan
  2. Somalia
  3. Sudan (except Khartoum and the Kenana Sugar Plantation in the White Nile)
  4. Rwanda
  5. Burundi
  6. Iraq
  7. Syria
  8. Yemen
  9. Chechnya

Countries where only OFWs with existing employment contract are allowed to return:

  1. South Sudan
  2. Libya
  3. Ukraine

The country with the poor working condition and local economic situation

  1. Palau (specific ban for domestic workers)

 Countries not certified by the Department of Foreign Affairs

  1. Afghanistan
  2. Chad
  3. Cuba
  4. North Korea
  5. Haiti
  6. Mali
  7. Mauritania
  8. Niger
  9. Palestine
  10. Somalia
  11. Zimbabwe
  12. South Sudan

If you have questions regarding a job opportunity you are being offered or are not sure if the country where you will be deployed is safe for Filipino workers, call the POEA at (072) 722 1144.  You may also regularly visit their website for updates at www.poea.gov.ph.

Reference: www.poea.gov.ph


6 June 11

The Department of Science and Technology (DOST) is now accepting applications for the 2020 undergraduate scholarship program.  Grade 12 students who wish to pursue degrees in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM), as well as non-STEM students who belong to the top 5% of their graduating class, are also welcome to apply.

All applications must be submitted and acknowledged by the DOST on or before September 6, 2019; the nationwide examination will be held on October 20, 2019.

What are the requirements for the application?

The application form for the said scholarship may be downloaded from the www.sei.dost.gov.ph website.  This form is not for sale and can be reproduced.  Fill out all fields on the form and attach a 1×1 photo of the applicant on the upper right-hand corner of the front page.

  1. Personal Information (Form A of the application form)
  2. Household Information Questionnaire (for RA 7687 Applicants only)
  3. Certificate of Good Moral Character (Form C of the application form)
  4. Certification of Good Health (Form D of the application form)
  5. Principal’s Certification (Form E1 of the application form and for applicants from the STEM strand)
  6. Principal’s Certification (Form E2 of the application form and for applicants from the NON-STEM strand)
  7. Certificate of Residency (Form F of the application form and for RA 7687 applicants only)
  8. Parents’ Certification (Form G of the application form and must have no pending application for immigration).
  9. Applicant’s Certification (Form H of the application form).
  10. Signed Declaration by Applicant and the Parents/Legal Guardian (Form I of the application form).
  11. Photocopy of PSA birth certificate of the applicant.
  12. Parent/s 2018 Income Tax Return /W2/Employment Contract for OFW/BIR Certificate of Exemption for filing of ITR/Municipal or Barangay Certificate of Indigency (for RA 7687 Applicants only).
  13. Electric Bills for 3 consecutive months in 2019 (for RA 7687 Applicants only).
  14. Affidavit of Guardianship (if with legal guardian)
  15. Certificate of scholarship in high school (if applicable)
  16. High School statement of account (if applicable)

What are the benefits/privileges for DOST scholars?

Tuition and other school fees P40,000 per academic year
Book allowance P10.000 per year
MS/PE uniform (1st semester of the first year only) P1,000
Group insurance Premium
Transportation Allowance (for those studying outside the home province) 1 economy-class roundtrip fare
Monthly living allowance P7,000 per month
Summer allowance (if required per curriculum)

Tuition and other school fees

Book allowance P500 (to submit OR)
Monthly allowance 2 months
Graduation clothing allowance P1,000

What are the criteria for eligibility?

  1. The applicant must be a natural-born Filipino citizen;
  2. If the student is under RA 7687, poor, talented, and deserving and belongs to a family whose socio-economic status does not exceed the set values of certain indicators;
  3. Member of the STEM strand senior high school graduating class, or a member of the top 5% of the Non-STEM strand senior high school graduating class;
  4. A resident of the municipality for the last 4 years as attested by the barangay chairman;
  5. Of good moral character and in good health; and a qualifier of the 2020 S&T Scholarship Examination.

 How to apply for scholarship?

You may secure a copy of the application form at the Science Education Institute, 2nd level, Science Heritage Bldg., DOST Cmpd., General Santos Avenue, Bicutan, Taguig.

The form is also available at DOST Regional offices, Provincial Science and Technology Centers (PSTC) or Offices of the Congressmen and Senators.  Or can be downloaded at www.sei.dost.gov.ph.

You may submit the accomplished form at the Science Education Institute or DOST Regional Office/PSTC nearest the applicant’s school or home address.

The deadline for filing of application is on September 6, 2019, while the date of examination is on October 20, 2019.

For more information about the DOST scholarship, you may visit their website at www.sei.dost.gov.ph or call their office numbers at (02) 839-0083, (02) 837-1333, (02) 837-2071 local 2382.

Reference: www.sei.dost.gov.ph


%d bloggers like this: