How To Correct Interchanged Middle and Last Names In A PSA Birth Certificate

Before you sign your child’s certificate of live birth, make sure you double-checked all the entries including name spellings and dates. Any incorrect entry in the certificate will reflect on the PSA-certified copy of the document and will take time, money, and a lot of effort to have it corrected in the future.

A common problem encountered by birth certificate owners is the interchanging of their middle and last names. To correct this, the owner (or any other person duly authorized by law) must file a petition for correction of clerical error (RA 9048) at the LCR where the birth was registered. Below is the complete guide and requirements needed when filing this type of petition.

Who shall file

  • Owner of the record
  • Owner’s spouse, children, parents, siblings, grandparents, guardian, other persons duly authorized by law or by the owner of the document sought to be corrected

Where to file

If born in the Philippines

  • The petition shall be filed with the LCR of the city or municipality where the birth was registered.
  • When the petitioner had already migrated to another place within the Philippines and it would not be practical for such party to appear in person with the civil registrar of the place of birth, the petition may be filed with the civil registry office where he/she is currently residing.

If the petitioner was born abroad:

  • File the petition at the Philippine Consulate where the birth was reported.

Supporting documents:

  1. Certified machine copy of the birth record containing the entry to be corrected.
  2. Not less than two private or public documents upon which the correction shall be based like baptismal certificate, voter’s affidavit, employment record, GSIS/SSS record, medical record, business record, driver’s license, insurance, land titles, certificate of land transfer, bank passbook, NBI/police clearance, civil registry records of ascendants.
  3. Notice/Certificate of Posting
  4. Payment of filing fees. Please consult with the LCR for the most updated fees to be paid for this type of petition.
  5. Other documents which may be required by the concerned civil registrar.

You are welcome to send me your questions about birth certificate corrections but if you are seriously considering having yours corrected, the best people that can provide you with the most accurate and helpful answers are the employees and staff of the LCR office. Pay them a visit and ask them all the things you want to know about a petition for correction. Do not transact with fixers, for your peace of mind. Fixers do not only charge exorbitant fees, they may also compromise your personal data. Transact only with legitimate employees of the city hall or municipal hall. Always ask for an official receipt when paying fees and fines.

Stay safe.


Philippine Statistics Authority


Published by MasterCitizen

I collect citizen facts and the usual stuff that might be important for a Pinoy's everyday life....Subscribe to get updates, opinions, and news.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: