How To Put The Full Middle Name On A PSA Birth Certificate (If Only The Middle Initial Was Written)

If only your middle initial is what is written in your PSA birth certificate, you can say that your birth certificate is erroneous. You must have your PSA birth certificate corrected so that your middle name is correctly spelled out and can be clearly read.

You can have your birth certificate corrected under the provisions of RA 9048 or a Petition for Correction of Clerical Error. Here are the things you need to know (and do!) if you need to have your middle name on your birth certificate spelled out:

Who shall file:

  • The owner of the birth certificate
  • The owner’s spouse, children, parents, siblings, grandparents, legal guardian (whatever the case may be)
  • Other persons duly authorized by law or by the owner of the document.

Where to file:

  • If the owner of the birth certificate was born in the Philippines, the correction must be filed at the LCR (Local Civil Registry) office of the city or municipality where the certificate was registered.
  • If the owner no longer resides in his birth place, he may file the correction at the LCR of the city or municipality where he currently resides.
  • If the petitioner was born abroad, the correction must be filed at the Philippine Consulate where the birth was reported.

Documents to be presented:

  • Certified machine copy of the birth record containing the entry to be corrected;
  • Not less than two private or public documents upon which the correction shall be based like baptismal certificate, voters affidavit, employment record, GSIS/SSS record, medical record, business record, driver’s license, insurance, land titles, certificate of land transfer, bank passbook, NBI/police clearance, civil registry records of ascendants;
  • Notice/Certificate of Posting;
  • Payment of fees (consult the LCR for the most updated fees for these types of corrections);
  • Other documents which may be required by the concerned civil registrar.

If you plan to file a petition for correction on any of your PSA certificates, visit your LCR first and gather as much information as you can. Some documentary requirements and fees may vary depending on the simplicity or complexity of your case. Always make sure to transact only with LCR staff and employees — never with fixers. Always demand your official receipt for any payments you make for your petition. The LCR will also advise you if your case can be handled by a mere petition or if you need to see a lawyer.

Good luck!


Philippine Statistics Authority


Published by MasterCitizen

I collect citizen facts and the usual stuff that might be important for a Pinoy's everyday life....Subscribe to get updates, opinions, and news.

2 thoughts on “How To Put The Full Middle Name On A PSA Birth Certificate (If Only The Middle Initial Was Written)

    1. You may check the Citizen’s Charter that are prominently displayed at government offices such as the LCR. Kung hindi po naka paskil ang kanilang CC (which is highly unlikely), you may coordinate with the LCR staff who will be attending to your correction and ask for a timeline. Lahat po ay pinapayuhang mag follow up sa kanilang LCR tuwing may correction or modification na gagawin sa kanilang civil registry document para matutukan ang completion ng changes na nire-request ninyo.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: