Change of First Name

Liezel is a 34-year-old mom who has been using two first names all her life.  All her documents and transactions show her first name as Maria Liezel: on her marriage contract, on her children’s birth certificate, her land titles, and tax declarations.  Even her bank accounts and driver’s license show her name as Maria Liezel.  However, on her PSA birth certificate, her first name is indicated only as Liezel. No Maria or Ma.

  1. Is this considered a clerical error?
  2. Does she need to have her name on her children’s birth certificates corrected to make it consistent with what is reflected on her birth certificate?

According to the Philippine Statistics Authority website (, such errors can be corrected under R.A. 10172 (Civil Registration Laws).  Liezel’s case is not considered as clerical error (the missing Liezel from her first name).  What she needs to do is have her name on her birth certificate changed from Liezel to Maria Liezel under R.A. 10172.

To process this, Liezel needs to do the following:

  • Submit a petition for change of first name.  This shall be in the form of an affidavit, subscribed and sworn to before any person authorized by law to administer oaths.
  • The affidavit shall set forth facts necessary to establish the merits of the petition, showing affirmatively that the petitioner is competent to testify to the matters stated.
  • The petitioner shall state the particular erroneous entry or entries, which are sought to be corrected and / or the change sought to be made.
  • The petition shall be supported with the following documents:
    • A certified true machine copy of the certificate or of the page of the registry book containing the entry or entries sought to be corrected or changed;
    • At least two (2) public or private documents showing the correct entry or entries upon which the correction or change shall be based;
    • Other documents which the petitioner or the city or municipal civil registrar or the consul general may consider relevant and necessary for the approval of the petition.
  • The petition for change of first name shall be published at least once a week for two consecutive weeks in a newspaper of general circulation.
  • Petitioner shall submit a certificate from the appropriate law enforcement, agencies that he has no pending case or no criminal record.
  • The fees to be collected for this type of petition shall be determined by the city or municipal civil registrar.  Indigent petitioners are exempted from paying the said fee.