The Manila City Hall Series: How to Secure an Affidavit to Use the Surname of the Father under RA 9255 Part 5 of 16

Manila City Hall_5

An illegitimate child, using his mother’s last name as his family name, may be permitted to use his father’s last name by virtue of an Affidavit to Use the Surname of the Father or AUSF.  This includes children born whose births are yet to be registered at the LCR and were born on or before August 3, 1988.

Here are the steps to be taken when filing an AUSF at the Manila City Hall.  Kindly take note that fees and schedules of interview may vary depending on the municipality; the following were lifted from the website of the Manila City Hall and are applicable to parties transacting there.

What You Need To Bring:

(a). Latest certified copy of birth certificate of the child.

(b). Valid ID of Father and Mother (original and photocopy).

(c). Community Tax Certificate (Cedula) of Father.

(d). Original and photocopy of child’s baptismal certificate.

(e). Certified true copy and original school records showing the names of the parents.

(f). If child’s mother is deceased, submit certified copy of Death Certificate (latest copy).

(g). If child is of legal age, submit a valid ID.

Note: Both parents must accompany the child (even if child is of legal age) during the interview.

Additional requirements for the father in case he does not expressly recognize filiation with the child.  This is applicable in cases when the father could not be present during the filing of the AUSF (residing abroad, deceased, physically incapable):

(a). Employment records

(b). SSS/GSIS records

(c). Insurance

(d). Certificate of Membership in any organization

(e). Statement of Assets and Liabilities

(f). Income Tax Return (ITR)

Submit all documents to the Manila City Hall.  Please note that all applications are subject for evaluation.

Interviews for RA 9255 are conducted every Monday only.  Below are the filing fees:

P420.00 (with Paternity)

P520.00 (without Paternity)




Published by MasterCitizen

I collect citizen facts and the usual stuff that might be important for a Pinoy's everyday life....Subscribe to get updates, opinions, and news.

23 thoughts on “The Manila City Hall Series: How to Secure an Affidavit to Use the Surname of the Father under RA 9255 Part 5 of 16

  1. Good day..
    Paano po ang process ng case ko.
    Naka register po ako sa apelido ng nanay ko
    Tapos po gusto ko po gamitin ang apelido ng tatay ko. Kasal po ang parents ko.
    Nagtanong nako sa munisipyo namin korte na daw po. Kung gusto ko daw maayos 70k daw ang ggastusin ko.. Oh my god..
    Tapos nag try po ulit ako na ayusin ulit yan na po ung sinabi nila RA9255 kasama ko n po father ko para sa mga ect..nag hintay po ako 2yearsnag bayad ako ng 1500 sa munisipyo, pwera pa mga ibang ginastos ko ung mga nagpa notary.. After 2years negative daw. Kailngan ko na daw po talga ipa korte..thank u and god bless

  2. Paano po kung rehistrado na ung bata. Sa nanay nakaapelyido. Hindi po kasal mga magulang. Sa Ospital po ng Sampaloc ipinanganak noong May 28,2011. Gusto po sana ipaa
    pelyido sa tatay

  3. Hello,mag ask Lang ako regarding sa case ko. I got pregnant but we lost communication with the baby’s father. So when I registered the child it was under my surname. But later on we got back and wanted our child to bring the father’s surname…What shall we do then as he is foreign and is living in he’s country now? Hope u guys can suggest what to do… Thanks and God bless!

  4. Sir ung apo q po pinanganak s korea d gnamit ung fam name ng father (kc iba po ginamit nyang name nung ngabrod xa at dun n nka kuha ng ka live in.)kya ung apilyedo po nya eh ung s ina.nung umuwi n po cla s pilipinas ngpkasal n po sila.ang problema d p rin naililipat ung aoelyido ng ama s anak nya.lumapit pi kmi s abogado at gumawa po xa ng certificate of acknowledgement at cert.of legitimacy n pinabigay po s local civil registrar d2 po sa amin.hangang ngayon po wla p rin nangyayari.ano pk mabuting gawin.mgaaral n po ung bata s pasukan.kailangan n ang birth certificate.slamat po

  5. makakakuha parin po ba ako ng passport all my valid id’s and school records gamit ko surname ng father , then late ko nadiscover na sa birth certificate ko lastname ng mother ko ang nakaregister..pinaayos ng father koyung birth cert ko pero naabutan ako ng bagong R.A, i was born 1991 so acknowledge ako ng father ko but still d ko parin magagamit surname niya.

    1. Hi Zeng,

      Ang susundin kasi sa passport mo ay yung apelido mo sa birth certificate mo. Pwede naman yun gamitin mo sa pag apply ng passport kaso pag hiningan ka ng IDs, ang makikita na gamit mong apelido ay apelido ng father mo. Dun ka magkakaron ng problema.

      Depende sa DFA kung ano ang hihingin nilang mga requirements pa mula sa iyo. Usually na nirerequire sa ganyang case is Affidavit of One and The Same Person.


  6. Hi Sir Good Day lang po, ask ko lng po if need npo ipapetition to use the surname of the father, do you have idea po ba how much is the lowest acceptance fee ng isang attorney? Or can you recommend an attorney n mababa lang po acceptance fee, except for PAO, galing po ksi kmi last week s civil registry ng manila pra po ipaayos ung name ko, sbi d nadaw po nila cover yung mga pinanganak ng 2004pababa, sbi daw po need nadaw po ipaCourt ung case ko, then nung nag inquire po kmi sa isang attorney 30,000 daw po acceptance/attorney’s fee, then iba pa po ung gastusin for advertisement, and meron p pong kung ano ano pa.. sna po may marecommend kyong law firm or attorney n pwede pong makatulong..

      1. Sir ang sabi po sa LCR need na nga daw po sa ipa court, hindi nadaw po kasi nila cover ung pinanganak ng 2004 pababa, and hindi rin po kasi married yung parents ko, kaya po naghahanap na ako ng murang attorney, matutulungan nyo po ba ako, do you have idea po ba yung pinaka affordable ng acceptance fee..

    1. hello po same kasi tayo ng situation naayos mo na po ba yung sayo and how much po lhat nagastos..

      hoping for your response po salmat

      1. Hindi ko prin po to naaayos, ang sbi nga po need na ipacourt, 😭 As of the moment wla pa po ako nakaka usap n attorney, and problem ko rin po yang pagkuha ng passport.. patay nrin po ba tatay mo? Natry mo npo ba mag tanong or lumapit s attorney, update nyo rin po ako pag may progress npo sainyo..

  7. Pano ayusin pag walang brtcrtfct record sa NSO at s Municipal wla din . 31y/o n po me. Anu po nga requirements. At gamit ko po name sa fathr ko. And wala n po me contact s parents ko.

  8. Wat f d father is foreigner and nt marid yet.but d.father is.willing to.change d surname of.d child into his name?wat wud b d requirements?tbe chd is born here n d.phil and wen d child is born

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: