Another common birth certificate problem encountered by Filipinos is an incorrect entry in the Gender field. Women are marked as “male” and men are marked as “female”. Having this kind of error corrected can be daunting if you are not armed with the prescribed step-by-step process and list of documentary requirements.
Below is the process implemented by the Manila City Hall for filing for correction of gender under RA 10172. Note that since this was lifted from the website of the city of Manila, some requirements, fees, and processes may not be applicable when filing the same at a different city or municipality.
(a). Latest certified machine copy and one photocopy of the birth certificate to be corrected, issued by the Manila Civil Registrar.
(b). Latest PSA copy and one photocopy of the birth certificate to be corrected.
(c). Medical certificate issued by the Manila City Health Officer as to the true gender of the document owner and same has not undergone sex change or sex transplant.
Applicants can get their referral slip at the Administrative Division, look for Ms. DEL NAVATA. Proceed to the Office of the Manila City Health Officer at Room 132, Ground Floor, Manila City Hall. Fee for medical is P100.00 only.
(d). Ultrasound and one colored photo (whole body).
(e). Elementary school records (Form 137/school certification). In case the petitioner/document owner never entered school, an Affidavit attesting to the facts shall be submitted.
(g). Baptismal certificate and other documents issued by religious authorities. In case where the petitioner/document owner has no baptismal certificate or similar documents, an Affidavit attesting to the facts shall be submitted.
(h). Certificate of employment indicating that the document owner has no pending administrative case, if employed.
(i). Affidavit of non-employment indicating that the document owner has no pending civil or criminal case or no criminal record, if not employed at the time of filing the petition.
(j). Affidavit of self-employment indicating that the document owner has no pending civil or criminal record, if self-employed at the time of filing of the petition.
(k). Certification issued by the Office of the Dean of Student Affairs, if the document owner is a college student.
(l). Certification issued by the Guidance Counselor if the document owner is in grade school or high school.
(m). NBI and Police Clearance, clearly indicating that the purpose of which is for the correction of sex/gender. This is not required if the document owner is between 0 to 7 years old.
(n). If the document owner is MARRIED:
- Latest PSA copy and certified machine copy of Marriage Certificate
- One copy of latest PSA birth certificate of children.
- Two copies of birth certificate of children issued by the LCR.
- Documents that will show proof of the correction being sought like Employment Record, Income Tax Return, Personal Data Sheet, duly certified by the HRD.
- Voter’s records.
- Two photocopies of valid ID of the petitioner and the document owner.
- SPA (Special Power of Attorney) is not allowed.
- The document owner shall file the petition personally except when he is a minor, physically or mentally incapacitated.
- In case the document owner falls under any of the above conditions, petition may be filed by spouse or any of the document owner’s children, parents, siblings, grandparents, guardians, or persons authorized by law. The document owner must appear at the city hall during the filing of the petition.
What to Expect:
(a). After completing all the requirements, proceed to the information counter and get a number for the pre-interview. Only applicants with complete requirements will be allowed for the pre-interview.
(b). Publication of the petition for two (2) consecutive weeks in a newspaper of general and national circulation (list of newspapers will be provided during the final interview).
(c). Steps to follow will also be provided during the Final Interview.
(d). Processing of the petition is four (4) months. Will commence on the date the petition is received by this office.
(e). Payments are as follows:
- Registration fee – P3,000.00
- Certified photocopy – P230.00 for single petition and P350.00 for double petition
- Transmittal fee – P210.00 for single petition and P330.00 double petition
Payment for publication and notary of the petition form are not yet included.