Tag Archive: SSS

06 - 20 (1)

After getting married, the next thing the couple needs to attend to are the updating of their IDs and other public documents, from their old civil status to that of married.  For women, they also have the option to change their maiden last name and begin using their husband’s last name in their IDs and government documents.  Take note that changing the woman’s last name is not mandatory; women have the option to keep their maiden last name for as long as they want.

To help newlyweds get started on this rather daunting task, we are sharing the following information, requirements, and processes involved in updating your marital status and changing your last name:


  1. Bring a photocopy of your PSA Marriage Certificate and the original for verification.
  2. Advise the customer service personnel that you wish to change your marital status; you should be given a blank Membership Form.
  3. Your marital status should be accomplished while you wait; you will also be issued a new Philhealth ID.
  4. This can be done at any Philhealth office or satellite office.
  5. Updating of status and changing of name is free of charge.

II. Bank Records

  1. Bring a copy of your PSA Marriage Certificate; bank personnel normally photocopy the documents within bank premises.
  2. Bring valid IDs.  Banks like BDO and Eastwest prefer IDs that already bear your married name.
  3. Advise bank teller that you want to update your marital status and change your last name.  Most banks do not charge any fees for such updates.


  1. Bring the original and photocopies of your PSA Marriage Certificate and valid IDs.
  2. Advise frontline personnel that you wish to update your marital status and last name.  You will be given an MCIF (Members Change of Information Form) for you to fill out.
  3. This can be done at any Pag-IBIG branch office near you.
  4. Updating your information is free of charge but if you wish to get a Loyalty Card, prepare Php 100.00.
  5. Updating of member’s information can be accomplished while you wait.


  1. If you are employed, advise your employer that you wish to update your SSS data.  You will be given a Member’s Data Amendment Form (E4).  Fill it out and submit to your HR.
  2. Attach a photocopy of your PSA Marriage Certificate, SSS, ID, and an authorization letter for your employer to process this on your behalf.
  3. Updating your SSS details is free of charge but requesting for a new ID (UMID) will cost you Php 300.00.  The new ID may take a two to three months before it is issued to you.

V. Passport

  1. Confirmed appointment date and time; you may secure an appointment online at www.dfa.gov.ph
  2. Download a copy of the form online, accomplish it in your handwriting, but do not sign until you are in front of a DFA personnel.
  3. Get a complete list of required documents and IDs from the DFA website; double-check that you have all requirements on the day of your appointment.

VI. Driver’s License

  1. Bring the original and photocopy of your PSA Marriage Certificate and your current or expired license.
  2. Submit a duly accomplished Application for Driver’s License.
  3. This may be done at any LTO branch and should be accomplished within the day.  Be at the office early.







Chips And Nibblers (1)

Closet Queen



05 - 12

This article is for our mom-to-be followers who are wondering if they are qualified to claim for maternity benefits from the SSS.  Often, expectant mothers who only recently began making SSS contributions, or those who missed a month or two prior to their delivery dates, are worried that they would not be able to claim assistance from SSS.

We lifted the official computation and other guidelines from the SSS website to help all female SSS members understand how maternity benefits are determined.

Read on!

The SSS Maternity Benefit

  • For normal delivery and miscarriages: 100% of member’s average daily salary credit multiplied by 60 days.
  • For caesarean section delivery: 100% of member’s average daily salary credit multiplied by 78 days.

Benefit Computation

  1. Exclude the semester of contingency (delivery or miscarriage).
    • A semester refers to two consecutive quarters ending in the quarter of delivery.
    • A quarter refers to three consecutive months ending March, June, September, or December.
  2. Count 12 months backwards starting from the month immediately before the semester of contingency.
  3. Identify the six highest monthly salary credits within the 12-month period.  The monthly salary credit means the compensation base for contributions and benefits related to the total earnings for the month.  The maximum covered earnings or compensation is Php 16,000.00 effective January 1, 2014.
  4. Add the six highest monthly salary credits to get the total monthly salary credit.
  5. Divide the total monthly salary credit by 180 days to get the average daily salary credit.  This is equivalent to the daily maternity allowance.
  6. Multiply the daily maternity allowance by 60 (for normal delivery or miscarriage) or 78 days (for caesarean section delivery) to get the total amount of maternity benefit.

Below is an example:

Let’s say the SSS member will give birth on December 2017, how do we determine the amount of maternity benefit she can expect from SSS?

  1. The semester of contingency is from July 2017 to December 2017.
  2. The 12-month period before the semester of contingency would be from July 2016 to June 2017.
  3. Assuming the six highest monthly salary credits are Php 15,000 each, then the total monthly salary credit would be Php 90,000.00 (Php15,000 x 6).
  4. The daily maternity allowance would be Php 500.00 (Php 90,000 / 180).
  5. To get the total amount of maternity benefit: multiply the daily maternity allowance by the number of days based on the type of delivery:
    • For normal delivery and miscarriages: Php 500 x 60 = Php 30,000.00
    • For caesarian section delivery: Php 500 x 78 = Php 39,000.00

Important Reminders:

  1. The SSS maternity benefit is paid to a female member for the first four deliveries and miscarriages only, by virtue of the Social Security Act of 1997 (RA 8282).
  2. Employed members shall receive the full amount of the maternity benefit within 30 days from the date of filing of the maternity leave application.  This will be given in advance by the employer (who shall then be reimbursed in full by the SSS).
  3. If the employee member gives birth or suffers a miscarriage and the required number of contributions have not been properly remitted by the employer, or if the employer fails to notify the SSS, the employer will be required to pay damages to the SSS.  Such damages shall be equivalent to the benefits that the employee should have been entitled to.
  4. Separated / voluntary / self-employed members shall be paid directly by the SSS.
  5. A female member cannot claim for sickness benefit for a period of 60 days for normal delivery or miscarriage and 78 days for caesarean delivery.  No member can be entitled to two benefits for the same period.

The moment you have confirmed that you are pregnant, notify your employer right away.  If you are a voluntary member, file the necessary papers at the SSS immediately.  This will secure the validity of your claim, whether you carry the child to full term or suffer a miscarriage (anything can happen).  It also pays to create an online SSS account so you can monitor your and your employer’s monthly contribution.

We hope this article helps all new and future mothers!

Source: www.sss.gov.ph

Chips And Nibblers (1)

Closet Queen




Kung ang isang Senior Citizen ay hindi tumatanggap ng pension mula sa SSS o sa GSIS, maaari siyang mag apply sa DSWD para mapabilang sa Social Pension Program.  Narito ang mga requirements:

  1. Dapat ay 60 years old pataas ang edad ng aplikante.
  2. Dapat ay hindi tumatanggap ng pension ang aplikante mula sa SSS o sa GSIS.
  3. Kailangang may Certificate of Indigency ang aplikante mula sa barangay kung saan siya nakatira.

Ang mga aplikante ay ia-assess ng isang social worker mula sa DSWD; kapag pumasa, ipapadala sa DSWD ang kanilang endorsement para sa final approval.

Kapag na-aprubahan ang application for pension, makakatanggap ng Php1,500 na pension tuwing tatlong buwan (quarterly) o Php500 monthly.  Kailangan lamang mag hintay ng qualified pensioner hangga’t may mabakanteng “lugar” para sa kanila.  Ibig sabihin nito, ang lahat ng maa-aprubahang aplikante ay ilalagay sa wait list; habang nasa wait list, hindi muna sila makakatanggap ng pension.  Kapag may pumanaw na na DSWD pensioner o natanggal sa listahan dahil hindi na nakabilang sa indigent pensioner’s list, ay saka pa lamang mag-uumpisang tumanggap ng pension ang mga nasa wait list.

Hindi din malinaw kung ang tatanggapin bang pension ng mga nasa wait list ay lump sum ng mga pension na hindi nila natanggap habang sila ay naghihintay o mag uumpisa lamang ang bilang kapag sila ay natanggal na sa wait list.

Maaaring mag submit ang mga nais mag  apply sa DSWD Social Pension sa kahit na anong DSWD office sa buong bansa.

Source: http://kickerdaily.com/posts/2016/07/indigent-senior-citizens-without-sss-gsis-pension-can-apply-for-dswd-social-pension/



When my uncle was granted citizenship in the U.S. by virtue of a petition filed by his daughter who is a natural born U. S. Citizen, he also elected to change his first name.  So from being a Jose Paulo de Guzman Asuncion, he is now Mark Arthur de Guzman Asuncion.

He recently celebrated his 65th birthday and is now taking an extended vacation in the Philippines.  He is technically “retired” from private employment in the U.S. but still has the option to continue working for smaller firms.

Last Monday, he requested me to help him order copies of his and my aunt’s birth certificates and two copies of their marriage certificate.  Of course, I ordered online at PSAHelpline.ph because I know they can get it done in 2 to 3 days max.  He told me to have it delivered to his home address in Quezon City and list him as the recipient.

I did as he requested and was able to successfully submit all orders in less than 15 minutes.  I went to a nearby 711 store to pay for the documents (yes! 711 accepts PSAHelpline.ph payments!) and told my uncle to just wait for the courier within the week.  I also reminded him to prepare his IDs as these will be asked of him before he receives the documents.

Later that evening while we were having dinner, my uncle showed me all the IDs he has in his envelope.  It was then that I realized that he no longer had any IDs that bore his old first name, Jose Paulo.  From his driver’s license, to his Senior Citizen ID, to his passport, he is identified as Mark Arthur De Guzman Asuncion.  Since he is declared as the owner of the ordered documents, and his name on his PSA birth certificate is Jose Paulo, he needs to show the courier a valid ID with his name listed as Jose Paulo.

We launched a major search operation in his old cabinets and desk drawers; I asked the helper to find any old IDs that do not have expiration dates and bear his name as Jose Paulo.  After turning his entire bedroom upside down, we finally saw one!  The last SSS ID he had before he left for the U.S. in 2002 was neatly kept in a box and still looked as good as new!  And, it does not have an expiration date!  Of course, his name on this ID is Jose Paulo De Guzman Asuncion.

When the PSAHelpline.ph courier arrived yesterday with the documents, my uncle was eagerly waiting by his porch with his SSS ID.  He handed this to the courier who carefully studied the ID and my uncle’s face.  The courier smiled and said: “Parang di po kayo tumatanda!”

So yes, you can use an old ID when receiving your ordered PSA documents, just as long as these are non-expiring IDs like your SSS.

My uncle, having stayed in the U.S. for 14 years, is used to quick, efficient, and hassle-free transactions.  And I must say that he was really impressed with the online ordering and delivery services of PSAHelpline.ph.  He could not believe how far the PSA has gone from being an overly crowded office with people lined up everywhere, to having an online portal where Pinoys can easily request for their documents and have these conveniently delivered wherever in the country.

He also loved being told that his photo on his old SSS ID looked like it was taken just yesterday.



Are you currently receiving pension from the Social Security System (SSS), as a retiree or a beneficiary?  Have you recently undergone your Annual Confirmation of Pensioners (ACOP)?  Did you know that the ACOP schedule has been changed from contingency month to the birth month of the SSS member?

To ensure continuous release of your monthly SSS pension, you need to undergo the ACOP program every year.  Here is the list of procedure and documents needed when reporting at the SSS for ACOP; take note too of the defined exemptions, depending on the pensioner’s physical condition.


How to Comply:

The pensioner has to report to any SSS branch, EXCEPT if the pensioner is 80 years old and above.  In such cases, the pensioner only needs to accomplish the ACOP form and attach required documents.  These documents should then be submitted to the nearest SSS branch through a representative or email to member_relations@sss.gov.ph.

Required Documents (depending on the pensioner’s age and physical condition):

If the Pensioner can report personally:

  1. Accomplished and signed ACOP form.
  2. SS card or two valid IDs, both with signature and at least one with photo.

If the Pensioner is incapacitated or 80 years old and above and resides in the Philippines:

  1. Accomplished and signed ACOP form.
  2. Photocopy of SS card or two valid IDs, both with signature and at least one with photo.
  3. Sketch of residence.

If the Pensioner is confined in an institution:

  1. Accomplished and signed ACOP form.
  2. Photocopy of SS card or two valid IDs, both with signature and at least one with photo.
  3. Certification from applicable institution confirming Pensioner’s confinement.

If the Pensioner resides abroad:

  1. Accomplished and signed ACOP form.
  2. Photocopies of SS card, valid passport, or any two valid IDs issued by the host country government unit/agency where photo and signature are shown.
  3. Complete physical examination report done within 3 months prior to the last day of compliance and certified by a physician indicating his license number and clinic address.
  4. Laboratory or other diagnostic examination results applicable to disability.



How to Comply:

If the pensioner receives his pension thru a bank, he or she has to report to the designated bank; if pension is received thru checks or a guardian, the pensioner needs to report to any SSS branch.

Required Documents (depending on the pensioner’s age and physical condition):

If the Pensioner can report personally:

  1. Accomplished and signed ACOP form.
  2. SS card or two valid IDs, both with signature and at least one with photo.

If the Pensioner is incapacitated or 80 years old and above and resides in the Philippines:

  1. Accomplished and signed ACOP form.
  2. Photocopy of SS card or two valid IDs, both with signature and at least one with photo.
  3. Sketch of residence.
  4. Certificate of existence from the Barangay Chairman.
  5. Medical Certificate done within three months prior to the last day of compliance and certified by a physician indicating his license number and clinic address.

If the Pensioner is confined in an institution:

  1. Accomplished and signed ACOP form.
  2. Photocopy of SS card or two valid IDs, both with signature and at least one with photo.
  3. Certificate from applicable institution confirming pensioner’s confinement.

If the Pensioner resides abroad:

  1. Accomplished and signed ACOP form.
  2. Photocopies of SS card, valid passport or any two valid IDs issued by the host country governmental unit / agency where photo and signature are shown.

Source: https://www.sss.gov.ph/sss/appmanager/pages.jsp?page=acopad


How To Apply for an SSS OFW Housing Loan


Filipinos seize work opportunities abroad in the hope that they can double their income and be able to provide handsomely for their loved ones in the Philippines.  Foremost in an Overseas Filipino Worker’s agenda is to purchase a house and lot, a family vehicle, and secure their children’s educational funds.  The Philippine government has consistently provided ways and means to help OFWs realize their goals.  One such support is by providing socialized and low-cost housing through the Social Security System (SSS).

You will be surprised to know that the SSS offers a maximum housing loan amount of Php 2,000,000.00, and may be shared among three qualified SSS members, related within the first civil degree of consanguinity or affinity.  This means that if both husband and wife are OFWs, they can apply for a joint housing loan and share in the amortization.

For everybody’s information, we have summarized the list of requirements and procedures when applying for an SSS OFW Housing Loan.  You may also visit the SSS website at www.sss.gov.ph for more information regarding this loan offer.

Who are Eligible Borrowers?

OFW Member is qualified to borrow if he meets the following eligibility requirements:

  1. Member is a certified Overseas Filipino Worker;
  2. Member is a voluntary OFW member of SSS;
  3. Member has at least 36 months contribution and 24 continuous contributions in the period prior to application;
  4. Member is not more than 60 years old at the time of application and must be insurable.  Members aged 60 years at time of application will have a maximum loan term of 5 years;
  5. Member was not previously granted an SSS housing loan;
  6. Member has not been granted final SSS benefits;
  7. Borrower and spouse is updated in the payment of their SSS loan(s), if any.

The spouses of an existing borrower may still qualify for an SSS housing loan if the loan of the existing borrower was obtained prior to the date of marriage and the loan is not delinquent.

What are the Loan Purposes?

The allowable purposes for a loan are as follows:

  1. Construction of a new house or dwelling unit on a lot owned by the applicant free from lien/encumbrances;
  2. Purchase of a lot and construction thereon of a new house or dwelling unit; and
  3. Purchase of an existing residential unit which may be a house and lot, a condominium unit, or a townhouse.

The property subject of the loan must be occupied by the owner-borrower or his/her immediate family member upon purchase of the unit.

What are the Requirements and Procedures?

The member may file the application at the nearest SSS cluster branch or at the Housing and Business Loans Department, 5/F SSS Building, East Avenue, Quezon City.

The following documents should be submitted upon filing of application:

  1. Original copy of the following:
  • Mortgagor’s Application for Housing Loan with 1”x1” ID pictures of Principal Applicant and Spouse;
  • Certificate of Loan Eligibility (CLE) and P100 service fee;
  • Certification from POEA / DOLE / OWWA / SSS Foreign Representative Office or Philippine Embassy / Consular Office
  • Deed of Sale or Contract to Sell with statement of latest balance for purchase of lot or house and lot;
  • Appraisal Report from Home Guaranty Corporation accredited appraisal companies;
  • Certificate of Acceptance and Occupancy duly signed by the borrower if house is 100% complete at the time of loan filing;
  • Duly notarized Special Power of Attorney (if filing is through a representative).

2. Original and Photocopy of the following:

  • Latest Contract of Employment and latest Employer’s Certification duly authenticated by Philippine Consulate;
  • Owner’s copy of the TCT / OCT / CCT;
  • Certified true copy of TCT / OCT / CCT issued by the Register of Deeds;
  • Latest Property Tax Declaration and Realty Tax Receipt.

3. Other documents:

  • Lot plan with vicinity map duly signed and sealed by Registered Surveyor or Geodetic Engineer (blue print).
  • Building plans / specifications / picture of the house (blue print);
  • A set of twelve postdated checks covering twelve monthly installments and shall be repeated every twelve months thereafter until the loan is fully paid.
  • Tax Mapping / Subdivision Plan
  • Affidavit of Undertaking to continue paying monthly SSS premium contributions for the duration of housing loan.

4. Notes:

  • Present original and submit one (1) photocopy of required documents for authentication purposes;
  • Applicant and spouse must be up-to-date in the payment of all existing loan accounts with SSS subject to verification by the SSS;
  • SSS reserves the right to require additional documents if deemed necessary;
  • Application Fee – ½ of 1% of loan amount or P500 whichever is higher but to exceed P3,000.00 to be deducted from the first loan release;
  • Inspection Fee – P500 for both within and outside Metro Manila.

Source: https://www.sss.gov.ph/sss/appmanager/pages.jsp?page=dhofwapply



My sister, a private school teacher, gave birth in January 21, 2016 to a healthy baby boy.  I am not sure if her case can be considered a premature delivery since she gave birth three weeks earlier than her scheduled due date.  Nonetheless, her delivery was uneventful and the baby came out healthy and strong.

Less than two months after she gave birth, my sister suffered from a severe case of skin asthma.  It got so bad that she was even prohibited by her doctor to carry or cuddle her baby.  She also had difficulty breathing at night and whenever she is exposed to smoke and dust.  She was confined in the hospital for five days until her rashes cleared out.

A few days after she was discharged from confinement, she filed her sickness benefit claims from the Social Security System (SSS).  Unfortunately, her claim was denied.  This was puzzling to us as she just recently received her maternity benefits from the SSS; she had no difficulty filing and claiming the proceeds.

We tried calling the SSS but no one seems to be able to give us a plausible answer.  I did my own research and these are my findings:

  1. A female SSS member who has successfully claimed her maternity benefits is no longer eligible to claim other types of benefits within a specified period:
    • A female who gave birth through normal delivery, or had a miscarriage, cannot file for sickness benefits claim within 60 days after childbirth or miscarriage.
    • A female who gave birth through caesarean section cannot file for sickness benefits claim within 78 days after childbirth.
  2. By law, an SSS member may only receive / claim one benefit at a given time.

My sister was able to claim her maternity benefits shortly after her baby turned one month old.  This was the reason why her claim for sickness benefits was denied by the SSS.

When we got hold of this information, my sister was able to clarify her concern better with the SSS.  She was then able to confirm that due to her maternity claim, she is not eligible for sickness benefits claims until after the 60-day prescription period.

Most SSS members may not be aware of this policy and it is best that claimants clarify minor details in their claims in order to avoid confusion later on.

Now you know.






SSS Loan Restructuring Program How To

Do you have an outstanding loan with the SSS that is left unpaid for several years now?  Are you worried that the principal and interest rates have accumulated over time and you may not be able to pay the amount anymore?

The SSS has good news for you!  They have recently launched the their Loan Restructuring Program to help members with past due loans.  In our previous post, we detailed the qualifications needed when applying for a loan restructuring program.  We have since received numerous inquiries on how to file the application as well as the list of documentary and ID requirements.

We are sharing our research to you today and encourage everyone who have outstanding obligations with the SSS to apply for the condonation program.  This is your chance to regain a good membership standing with the SSS and secure your future benefits.

What you need to bring:

(a). Original copy of any one of the primary IDs or documents (or)

(b). Original copy of any 2 secondary IDs or documents

(c). At least one of the IDs must have 1 with photo, and both with signature

Primary IDs or Documents:

  1. SSS card
  2. Unified Multi-purpose ID (UMID)
  3. Driver’s License
  4. Passport
  5. Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) card
  6. Seaman’s Book (Seafarer’s Identification and Record Book)

Secondary ID Cards or Documents:

  1. Alien Certificate of Registration
  2. Certificate of Licensure or Qualification Documents from Maritime Industry Authority
  3. Certificate of Muslim Filipino Tribal Affiliation issues by National Commission on Muslim Filipinos
  4. Company ID Card
  5. Firearm License card issued by PNP or Philippine National Police
  6. Fishworker’s License issued by BFAR or Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources
  7. GSIS or Member’s Record or Certificate of Membership
  8. Health or Medical Card
  9. PagIBIG or Home Development Mutual Fund Member’s Data Form
  10. ID card issued by Local Government Units (LGUs). Examples in Barangay, Municipality, or City
  11. ID card issued by professional association recognized by PRC
  12. Marriage Contract or Certificate
  13. OWWA Card or Overseas Worker Welfare Administration
  14. PHIC Card or Philippine Health Insurance Corporation
  15. NBI Clearance or Police Clearance
  16. Postal ID Card
  17. School ID Card
  18. Seafarer’s Registration Certificate issued by Philippine Overseas Employment Administration
  19. Senior Citizen Card
  20. Taxpayer’s Identification Number (TIN) Card
  21. Voter’s Identification card or Voter’s Affidavit or Certificate of Registration

Step 1. Request for a copy of your Statement of Loan Balances from the nearest SSS branch.  OFWs may request for a copy from the SSS foreign office.

Step 2. Accomplish a copy of an Affidavit of Residency as supporting document for your home address or work address.  This is to attest to the fact that your area is within a covered calamity area stricken by a previous (natural) disaster.

Step 3. Prepare a copy of a duly accomplished Loan Restructuring Program.  Write “Not Applicable” or “N/A” for information that are not applicable to you.  Affix your initials on any erasures.

Step 4. If a representative is filing this form, submit the following:

  1. Original copy of Special Power of Attorney (SPA)
  2. Photocopy of 2 valid IDs each of the member-borrower and the filer (or representative).

Step 5. Bring the duly accomplished forms to the SSS branch.  For Death, Total Disability, or Retirement benefit filers (who wish to avail of the reconstructuring program), include the DDR claim application form.

An SSS personnel will advise you on the next steps to be taken after you have submitted your application.  This offer is open until April 27, 2017 only.

If you wish to make a follow up on your filed applications, you may contact SSS through the following:

Call Center : 02-920-6446 to 55



Website: https://www/sss.gov.ph



SSS Pension

As paying members of the Social Security System (SSS), we are all looking forward to that day when we can just sit back, relax, and wait for our monthly pension to arrive.  We count the years until we are prepared to retire from our jobs and finally be able to take that much needed vacation, spend quality time with our children, and no longer be bothered by “work”.  We look forward to that day when we can finally ask ourselves, “What do I do with all these free time on my hands?”

But the question we should all be asking at this point is, how much must I expect as monthly pension from the SSS and will that be enough to sustain my needs as I approach my senior years?

To help you determine your monthly pension, here is a guide lifted from the SSS website and a recent article from the Manila Bulletin.


Are you under the Compulsory or Voluntary program of the SSS?

The Compulsory program covers employers and their employees, as well as self-employed individuals.  Their contributions are automatically deducted from their monthly salaries and remitted by their employers to SSS.

Voluntary members are OFWs, non-working spouses of SSS members, and members who have separated (resigned) from their jobs.  They pay their monthly contributions “voluntarily” by going to SSS offices or accredited payment centers.

Apart from the two programs, SSS also encourages its members to establish a separate savings account under the SSS Personal Equity and Savings Option (PESO) to add to their retirement funds.  This is a tax-free investment fund that can earn income based on interest rates of five-year Treasury yields.  At a minimum amount of Php 1,000 per month, a qualified SSS member is able to basically double his SSS savings.


A member’s pension is determined based on the number of credited years of service (CYS) and the number of dependent minor children.

There are three formulae that the SSS uses to compute for a member’s pension; the monthly pension will be the highest amount resulting from any of the three formulae.

  1. The sum of = Php 300.00 + 20% of the Average Monthly Salary Credit (AMSC) + 2% of the AMSC for each Credited Year of Service (CYS) in excess of 10 years, OR
  2. 40 % of the AMSC, OR
  3. Php 1,200.00 if the CYS is at least 10 but less than 20.
  4. Php 2,400 if the CYS is 20 or more.

Note: The AMSC is determined by the SSS based on your monthly compensation.  Salaries from Php 15,750 and above are assigned an AMSC of 16,000.


Using formula number 1, here is a sample computation for an individual who:

  1. Is earning Php 30,000.00 monthly
  2. Has worked and contributed to the SSS for 40 years

Monthly Pension (MP) = P300 + (20% of AMSC) + (2% of AMSC x 30 years (40 years – 10))

MP = Php 300.00 + (20% x 16,000.00) + (2% x 16,000 x 30 years)

MP = Php 300 + 3,200 + 9,600

MP = Php 13,100.00


There are two ways to determine if you are qualified for SSS retirement benefits:

a. You are 60 years old and are no longer working or have ceased to be self-employed.  You have made at least 120 monthly contributions before the semester of retirement.

b. You are 65 years old – may be employed or not – and have made at least 120 monthly contributions before the semester of retirement.


There are also two ways to receive your retirement benefits:

a. Lifetime monthly pension – receive your pension monthly through the bank that you pick as your designated bank.

b. Lump sum – receive the first 18 months of your pension at a discounted rate determined by the SSS.  Your monthly pension will begin on the 19th month.


Be ready with the following IDs and documents when filing for your retirement benefits:

  1. Retirement claim application form (SSS Form DDR – 1);
  2. DDR Saving Account form;
  3. Certificate of Separation from last employer (for members less than 65 years old);
  4. Passbook (if pension);
  5. Certified true copies of birth or baptismal certificate of dependent children;
  6. Certificate of cessation of business or practice of profession (for self-employed less than 65 years old);
  7. Certified true copy of marriage certificate (if with dependent children);
  8. Proofs of filiation for illegitimate dependent children; and
  9. SSS digitized or E-6 (acknowledgment stub) with two valid IDs, one of which has a recent photo.

For a more thorough and accurate computation of your retirement benefit, visit the nearest SSS branch.





SSS Educational Loan

If you need additional funds for your children’s college tuition fees, you may seek help from the Social Security System (SSS) through the SSS Educational Loan Program.  This is open to SSS members who meet the following criteria:

(a). Payments for existing salary/housing loan amortization must be updated.  Overdue amount must not exceed three (3) monthly loan amortizations;

(b). Member must have paid at least thirty-six (36) monthly contributions, three (3) of which should be within the last twelve (12) months prior to the date of application of the loan;

(c). Member’s last posted Monthly Salary Credit must be Php15,000 or below while actual monthly basic salary must not be more than Php25,000.

Amount of Loan a Qualified Member may Apply For

The loan amount is determined primarily by the type of course the member or beneficiary is taking up.

(a). Degree Courses – Maximum of Php20,000.00 per semester/trimester/quarter term or actual tuition/miscellaneous fees, whichever is lower, rounded off to the next higher Php100.

(b). Vocational/Technical Course (minimum of 2 years) – Maximum of Php10,000 per semester/trimester or actual amount of tuition/miscellaneous fees, whichever is lower, rounder off to the next higher Php100.

A 6% interest per annum based on diminishing principal balance shall be applied on the loan amount.  For unpaid loan amortizations, a 1% penalty shall be applied per month.

Who can be covered by the program?

The proceeds of the educational loan can be used by the following:

(a). Member-borrower

(b). Member-borrower’s legal spouse

(c). Child of SSS member (including illegitimate)

(d). Siblings of unmarried SSS member (including half-brother/sister)

A married member-borrower are allowed to apply for up to two (2) beneficiaries, including himself.

What are the required documents for application?

(a). SSS ID or two (2) valid IDs.

(b). Accomplished application form.

(c). Assessment/Billing statement issued by the school of member/beneficiary.

(d). Proof of monthly salary/income.

(e). Income Tax Return or affidavit of income (for self-employed/voluntary paying).

You may download a copy of the Educational Assistance Loan form here.





%d bloggers like this: