Tag Archive: passport problems

9 Sept 30

My friend’s dog tore his brand new passport apart, three months before he was scheduled to leave for Singapore.  He cried like a little boy while collecting the scraps of paper that was once his primary travel document.

How do you get a replacement for your damaged passport?  Read this.

First off, we need to define what damaged passport means.  According to the Department of Foreign Affairs, your passport is considered damaged or mutilated when:

  • The data page or any information on it is torn or damaged to the point of unreadability.
  • A damaged passport microchip that is no longer machine-readable.
  • One or more pages have been torn out or missing.
  • Passport cover no longer attached to the booklet.
  • The booklet is unstitched, severely damaged by water, or with visa stamps that have bled out.
  • Passport picture is tampered and no longer clear/visible.

If your passport exhibits any of the above descriptions, you can consider it as damaged and therefore, needs to be replaced.  The DFA treats the replacement of damaged passports as new applications and so anyone seeking to have a damaged passport replaced must go through the same process as when you are applying for a new one.  Here’s how:

  1. The first thing you need to do is to get an appointment online and pay the corresponding passport fee to confirm your slot.
  2. Submit a notarized Affidavit of Explanation as to how, when, and where your passport was damaged or mutilated.
  3. Bring an original and photocopy of the first and last pages of the damaged passport.
  4. Prepare P350 as a penalty fee for the damaged passport.

You are also encouraged to bring an original copy of your PSA birth certificate especially if your personal details are hardly recognizable in the damaged passport.  You can get a copy online and have it delivered to your home at www.psahelpline.ph.

There shall be a 15-day clearing period within which your application will go through verification and your old passport records will be tracked and reviewed.

There you have it.  The process and requirements may be a bit different but rest assured that the DFA can have your damaged passport replaced.

Just the same, take care of your passport and other important IDs and documents.  Keep them in locked drawers or plastic containers to keep them safe from pets, pests, flood, and maybe even fire.  Always have duplicates available in your office as well so you would have a ready reference in case you lose the original ones.

Thanks for dropping by!






Jan 04 (1)

Your PSA birth certificate is a primary requirement when applying for a passport with the DFA.  Without it, it would be nearly impossible to get the rest of the application process done.

Unfortunately, there are some people who really do not have their civil registry documents on file at the PSA.  When they request for a copy, they receive a Negative Certification, indicating that they do not have any records or theirs may have gotten lost during or after the war.

How do you apply for a passport if you do not have a birth certificate?

Let us show you how:

If you were born in or after January 1, 1950, you need to submit the following:

General Requirements:

  1. Personal appearance at your chosen DFA branch.
  2. Confirmed appointment (done online at www.passport.gov.ph/appointment)
  3. Accomplished application form.
  4. Valid picture ID with photocopy.
  5. Supporting Documents


  1. Apply for the delayed registration of birth at the local civil registry office at the applicant’s place of birth.
  2. Submit the following documents:
    • Authenticated Negative Result of Birth Certificate from the PSA.
    • Supporting public documents with the correct date and place of birth such as:
      • Form 137
      • Voter’s registration record
      • Baptismal certificate with readable dry seal.
      • National Commission on Muslim Filipinos (NCMF) certificate with photo and readable dry seal (for Muslim applicants).

If you were born in or before December 31, 1949:

General Requirements:

  1. Personal appearance at your chosen DFA branch
  2. Confirmed appointment (done online at www.passport.gov.ph/appointment)
  3. Accomplished application form
  4. Valid picture ID with photocopy
  5. Supporting documents


  1. Certificate of Non-availability of Record from the Philippine Statistics Authority.
  2. Notarized Joint Birth Affidavit of Two Disinterested Persons
  3. Any public document with the correct full name, and date and place of birth such as:
    • Baptismal Certificate with readable dry seal
    • National Commission on Muslim Filipinos (NCMF) Certificate with photo and readable dry seal (for Muslim applicants).

If you are unable to secure a copy of your birth certificate from the PSA, proceed right away to the LCR of the city or municipality where you were born.  There are a multitude of reasons why your birth records may not be available at the PSA, you just need to find out why so you would know what to do next.  The LCR would be able to tell you what you need to do in order to have your birth records documented, or corrected, or reconstructed, whatever the case may be.

If you have questions about birth certificates, send us a message and we will do our best to find the answers for you.




Chips And Nibblers (1)

Closet Queen



09 - 18.jpg

In the first week of September (2017), the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) announced that it has opened more appointment slots for Pinoys seeking to apply for a new passport or have their old ones renewed.  The additional slots came from the 1,200 reserved (daily) slots for travel agencies and DFA employees.

Yes, even DFA employees have to adjust to the new mandate so that only their immediate family members are extended the privilege of an assured appointment with the DFA.  Immediate family members include parents, spouse, children, siblings, grandparents, grandchildren, and parents-in-law.  The courtesy lanes remain open for senior citizens, persons with disabilities, pregnant women, solo parents, children below seven yearls old, and Overseas Filipino Workers.

More good news from the DFA came in late last week when they announced the redesigned online appointment system.  Here are the highlights of the new and improved online passport appointment system:

  • Fully-booked dates are shown in red while available slots are in green.
    • This makes searching for an available date and time easier rather than clicking on each and every date.
  • Feedback mechanism activated.
    • This ensures that applicants are informed of any concerns on their application and how they can resolve the problem.
    • These include discrepancies on provided information, documents submitted.
    • Applicants are given ample time to prepare for the lacking requirements ahead of time, instead of finding out about the problems just when they are about to claim their passports.
  • Automatic reminder for people who are exempted from making online appointments:
    • Senior Citizens
    • Persons with Disabilities
    • Pregnant women
    • Solo parents
    • Children seven years old and below
    • OFWs

The reminder was put in place because most of the time, even if the applicant is entitled to use the courtesy lane, they still apply for an appointment online and wait in line for their turn.  With the reminder, they would know right away that they can proceed to a DFA office, freeing up the appointment slots that they would otherwise book.

The DFA promised to deploy more improvements, not just on the online application system, but in all aspects of their services to the public.  They said that their utmost concern are the comfort and security of people who visit their offices everyday, from the head office in Aseana to all satellite and consular offices and foreign posts.

If you have questions about the DFA online appointment system, send us a message and we will do our best to find the best answers for you.




Chips And Nibblers (1)

Closet Queen


DFA Imposes 30

Setting an appointment with the DFA to apply for a new passport or have an old one renewed, is free of charge.  All you have to do is log on to the www.passport.com.ph website, choose a DFA branch nearest you, and block off your preferred date and time for the passport application.  It is a convenient means to secure your slot with the DFA and save yourself from waiting in line like before.

The DFA receives an average of 15,000 passport applications daily.  Sadly though, only about 53% of the appointments are fulfilled while the rest simply do not show up.  Essentially, the dates and hours these “no-shows” blocked off are wasted when it could have accommodated other passport applicants.  Since there are no fees involved in setting an appointment, anybody can just block off a schedule and then simply ignore it later on.  If they fail to make it to their original appointment, they can easily set another one, no sweat.  As a result, hundreds of applicants are left with no choice but to wait for as long as two months to be accommodated by the agency.

To address this issue, the DFA announced that those who will fail to show up for their set appointments will be barred from re-applying for 30 days.  This move aims to discourage applicants from taking their appointments for granted and not waste the available slots on the website.

The policy takes effect on June 1, 2016.

Help spread the news to your families and friends.



Passport for Dual Citizenship

In yesterday’s blog, we talked about the possibility of re-acquiring Filipino citizenship after becoming a naturalized citizen of another country. Such Pinoys have dual citizenship.

Today’s blog will focus on how a Filipino with dual citizenship can apply for his Philippine passport. Yes. They can have two passports – one from the country where they were naturalized and one from the Philippines.

Here’s how:

  1. Prepare the documentary requirements you will be needing; below is the list as published in www.passport.com.ph:
    • Duly accomplished passport application form
    • PSA Birth Certificate in Security Paper (SECPA) or
    • Certified True Copy (CTC) of Birth Certificate issued by the Local Civil Registrar (LCR) and duly authenticated by the PSA. Transcribed Birth Certificate from LCR is required when entries in PSA Birth Certificate are blurry or unreadable.
    • If born abroad, Report of Birth Duly Authenticated by PSA.
    • Valid picture IDs and supporting documents to prove identity.
    • Identification Certificate of Retention or Re-acquisition.
    • Oath of Allegiance
    • Order of Approval
  2. List of acceptable IDs (at least 1 of the following):
    • Government –issued picture IDs such as the following:
      • Digitized SSS ID
      • Driver’s License
      • GSIS E-card
      • PRC ID
      • IBP ID
      • OWWA ID
      • Digitized BIR ID
      • Senior Citizen’s ID
      • Unified Multi-Purpose ID (UMID)
    • Other acceptable picture IDs such as the following:
      • Old college ID
      • Alumni ID
      • Old Employment IDs

You may proceed to the DFA Aseana for your Philippine passport application. Their address is: ASEANA Business Park, Bradco Avenue corner Macapagal Boulevard, Paranaque City. Best to inform the guard of the building that you are applying for a Philippine passport as a dual citizen so they can direct you to the office where you may transact.

Dual Citizenship

When a natural-born Filipino acquires citizenship through naturalization in a foreign country, he essentially “renounces” his Filipino citizenship. In August 2003, such Pinoys were given the option to re-acquire their Filipino citizenship by virtue of Republic Act No. 9225. They can file for a petition to re-acquire their Filipino citizenship, subject to the approval of the Consul General (if petition was applied abroad) or by the Commission of Immigration (if petition was applied in the Philippines). Once approved, they are granted dual citizenship – in their home country, the Philippines and in the country where they were naturalized.

What are the Benefits of Having Dual Citizenship?

a. They may now acquire real properties in the Philippines.

The new Philippine Constitution states that aliens (foreigners) are prohibited from owning real properties in the Philippines. The term “foreigners” or “aliens” include Filipinos who have acquired foreign citizenship through naturalization.

When you are granted dual citizenship, you essentially “re-acquire” your natural-born Filipino identity – you are again a Filipino citizen and therefore now have the right to own real properties and have these listed under your name.

b. Right to engage in business or practice profession.

This works best for Filipinos who intend to make the Philippines their place of retirement. Their dual citizenship will allow them to engage in businesses or maybe even seek employment.

c. Right to travel with a Philippine passport.

A blue passport (if you are a naturalized U.S. citizen) tells you that “you own the world” (it’s written on the attached letter when your US passport is delivered to you). And quite figuratively, you do! You can come and go to over 170 countries and territories without a visa or with visa on arrival – just hop on a plane and take off!

So what would you want a Philippine passport again for?

If you sought to re-acquire your Filipino citizenship, chances are, you are looking at staying in the Philippines for an extended period, invest on a business, work, or study here. And a Philippine passport will help you achieve these goals easier as it serves as a valid identification and reference of your citizenship (albeit reacquired).

d. Right to have citizenship benefits extended to one’s spouse/children.

A Filipino’s foreign spouse may be issued an immigrant visa so he / she can stay in the Philippines for good. Their children are likewise automatically awarded Filipino citizenships. Unlike when Filipinos migrate to the U.S. (for example), they will have to work and wait until they are able to successfully petition for the entry and residency of their children to the U.S. When a Pinoy reunites with his mother country, his immediate family is included in the picture without too much paperwork.

e. Right to vote and or hold public office.

These have become national topics as of late. If you wish to know more about these rights Balik-bayan Pinoys, you may visit the website of the Commission of Filipinos Overseas: http://www.cfo.gov.ph/

I would like to share with you the processes involved in re-acquiring Filipino citizenship; you can file your petition here in the Philippines or in the country where you are currently residing (and holding citizenship). Hope you find these of value.

Dual Citizenship 1

Dual Citizenship 2

What are the requirements when filing for re-acquisition of Filipino citizenship?

Here is the list provided in the CFO website (www.cfo.gov.ph)

  • Duly completed verified petition (R.A. 9225 Form No. 1)
  • Notarized Oath of Allegiance
  • Two (2) recent 2” x 2” colored photographs of the applicant (over white background)
  • Application fee
  • Proof as natural-born Filipino citizen, an original and photocopy of at least one of the following:
  • Photocopy of foreign passport
  • Photocopy of certificate of naturalization or an original affidavit stating how foreign citizenship was acquired.
  • Two (2) self-addressed and stamped legal-sized envelopes

Kung mahal mo, babalikan mo is a famous #hugotline from a popular teleserye in the Philippines. We know how much this means to us Pinoys, wherever we are in the world. There will always be a heartstring being tugged in us, no matter how far we’ve gone, pulling us back to where we came from.

Tomorrow, I will focus more on Pinoys with dual citizenship and how they can apply for a Philippine passport. See you then!

Bonjour. Mabuhay.

Got this bit of news update regarding passports. Read on:

Measures to address the recent delay in the processing and releasing of passports have been implemented, the Department of Foreign Affairs-Office of Consular Affairs (DFA-OCA) said following the recent increase in passport applications and other technical concerns.

“The DFA will extend up to one year the validity of the current expiring passports of applicants who have urgent travel. The extension will be free of charge while applicants are waiting for the release of their new electronic passports (ePassports),” the state agency said in a statement.

Overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) and applicants who need their passports on emergency circumstances (e.g., medical concerns, death in the immediate family) are advised to go to the Passport Director’s Office for assistance. The office is located at the ground floor of the DFA-OCA at the Aseana Business Park along Macapagal Avenue, it added.

The DFA-OCA has extended its work hours and opened its services on Saturdays. Passport processing services are now available until 8:00 p.m. on weekdays and from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Saturdays.

The DFA said applicants must file for their passport applications at least 12 weeks before their intended date of travel.

“The DFA is exerting all efforts and is committed to resolve the delays at the soonest possible time, and requests the public’s patience and understanding, particularly those who applied at its Regional Consular Offices (RCOs),” it added.

For additional information, the public may call the DFA-OCA at telephone nos. (02) 737-1000 and (02) 556-0000, send an email to oca@dfa.gov.ph or visit the Department’s website at http://www.dfa.gov.ph. (www.gov.ph)


%d bloggers like this: