Tag Archive: Passport Application Requirements

9 Sept 20

The answers are both yes and no.

The DFA recently announced that the PSA birth certificate is no longer a requirement when getting your passport renewed.  While this is true for passport renewal transactions, it does not apply to other cases of passport transactions with the DFA.

The PSA birth certificate remains to be a major requirement for all other passport transactions; below is the list of other transactions with the DFA this is still a requirement:

  1. First-time passport applications.
  2. When having a damaged or mutilated passport replaced.
  3. Applicants that are included in the DFA watchlist.
  4. Renewal of the brown and green old Philippine passports that has no complete middle name of the owner.
  5. Changes in personal information such as for married women or if changing from married name to maiden name.

Be properly guided, friends!






7 July 31

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) will begin accepting the PhlPost ID (postal ID) as a primary ID when applying for or renewing your passport, beginning today, August 1, 2019.  This should be good news for most of us who have limited government-issued IDs (especially for those who do not have a driver’s license or a PRC ID).  Personally, I only have my passport, TIN, and SSS ID; and before I even got my passport, I only had my SSS.  So for those who have yet to apply for an SSS ID, or a Driver’s License, or any other major government-issued ID, your postal ID can now come in handy when transacting with the DFA.

Here is the list of other acceptable valid IDs for passport applications:

  • Social Security System ID
  • Government Service Insurance System ID
  • Unified Multi-purpose ID
  • Land Transportation Office Driver’s License (student permits will be accepted if in card format).
  • Professional Regulatory Commission ID
  • Overseas Workers Welfare Administration e-card.
  • Commission on Elections voter’s ID or Voter’s Certification from the election officer (with dry seal).
  • Philippine National Police firearms license
  • Senior Citizen ID
  • Airman license (issued August 2016 onwards)
  • School ID (if applicable)
  • Current valid ePassport (for renewal of ePassport)

If you want to know how to get a Postal ID, read this blog.

For more information on passport application and renewal, here are some of my previous blogs you can visit:

Passport Application: What You Need to Bring to the DFA Consular Office 

What Are The Requirements for New Passport Application? 

DFA Passport Appointment: No Show, No Refund 

Birth Certificates No Longer Required for Passport Renewal (and Why You Still Need To Get A Copy of Your PSA Birth Certificate)

List of Requirements for Renewal of Passport






3 Mar 06

When my mom requested for a copy of her PSA birth certificate a few years back, we got a Negative Report instead.  This means that she does not have a birth certificate reported to the PSA.  When we sought the assistance of the LCR in Cabanatuan (where she was born), we were advised that her birth certificate was among those that were destroyed during a fire at the municipal hall in the ‘90s.  They do not have any back-up files.

How does a person who does not have a birth certificate, apply for a passport?  Read this.

  • If the applicant was born AFTER 1950:
    • He or she must file for late registration with the Local Civil Registrar (LCR) or Consular Office with jurisdiction over the place where he or she was born.
    • Upon release, he or she must submit the original copy of the PSA authenticated late registered Birth Certificate with the requisite supporting documents and IDs that pre-date the late registration.
  • If the applicant was born ON or BEFORE 1950:
    • He or she must submit original copies of his PSA authenticated certificate of No Birth Record and Affidavit of Two Disinterested Persons attesting to his or her identity.

The above requirements (based on the year when the applicant was born) shall be included to the rest of the documents and IDs required by the DFA for first-time adult passport applicants. If you missed our blog on the updated requirements for new passport applications, just click here.

See you again tomorrow for our next feature article on passport requirements for individuals with unique cases in their birth certificates.

Reference: www.passport.gov.ph

Chips And Nibblers (1)

Closet Queen


This blog is sponsored by PSAHelpline.ph.

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/PSAHelpline.ph/

Place your PSA birth certificate orders online at http://www.PSAHelpline.ph or through our FB Chat Messenger at @PSAHelpline.ph

3 Mar 05

In yesterday’s blog, we have established that the DFA requires a copy of the applicant’s PSA birth certificate if it is his first time to apply for a passport.  Likewise, if the female applicant wishes to change her maiden last name to that of her husband’s she needs to submit a copy of her PSA marriage certificate, whether applying for the first time or renewing her passport.

In this week’s posts, we will feature the UNIQUE REQUIREMENTS for passport application, particularly the supporting documents that DFA requires for special cases.  This is for individuals with Late Registered Birth Certificates, or those whose birth details were reported beyond the reglementary period set by the Local Civil Registry and PSA.

Read on.

In addition to the core requirements we featured yesterday (refer to this blog), the following supporting documents must be presented if you have a Late Registered Birth Certificate.

  1. If your Birth Certificate was registered at least ten (10) years ago, the application will be treated as a regular application and no additional supporting documents will be required.
  2. If your Birth Certificate was registered less than ten (10) years ago, you must submit IDs that pre-date the late registration.
  3. If you do not have IDs that pre-date the late registered Birth Certificate, you must produce current IDs and secure an NBI clearance to support your passport application.

These are lifted from the www.passport.gov.ph website.  Take note that the DFA may still require additional documents depending on how your case will be evaluated.

Tomorrow, we shall feature the passport requirements for individuals who do not have birth certificates or report of birth.

See you again tomorrow!

Source: www.passport.gov.ph

Chips And Nibblers (1)

Closet Queen


This blog is sponsored by PSAHelpline.ph.

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/PSAHelpline.ph/

Place your PSA birth certificate orders online at http://www.PSAHelpline.ph or through our FB Chat Messenger at @PSAHelpline.ph

3 Mar 04

Due to the recent updates in the documentary requirements for passport application and renewal, my relatives (especially the seniors!) had a hard time figuring out whether they should bring copies of their PSA birth certificates and PSA marriage certificates on their appointment date.  Some were saying they must bring their PSA civil registry documents, while others were saying they may skip that part and just bring their valid IDs.

The best place to get the best answers would, of course, be the website of the Department of Foreign Affairs.  So in today’s blog, I will be sharing with you the most updated list of documentary requirements, accepted IDs, and supporting documents that the DFA accepts for FIRST TIME PASSPORT ADULT APPLICANTS.


  1. Confirmed Online Appointment
  2. Personal appearance
  3. Accomplished Application Form
  4. Original copy of PSA Birth Certificate on Security Paper
    • Married Females (who are using their spouse’s last name) must also submit an original copy of PSA Marriage Certificate on Security Paper or Report of Marriage.
    • Local Civil Registrar copy may be required if PSA Birth Certificate is not clear or cannot be read.
  5. Any of the following valid IDs with one photocopy.

Note: If the female applicant opts to retain her maiden name, the PSA Marriage Certificate is no longer required.

*Additional requirements may be required.  Please refer to the section below for additional requirements for Adult New Applications.


  1. Social Security System (SSS)/Government Service Insurance System (GSIS) Unified Multi-purpose Identification (UMID) card.
  2. Land Transportation Office (LTO) Driver’s License.  Student Permit may be accepted if in card format.
  3. Professional Regulatory Commission (PRC) ID.
  4. Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA)/Integrated Department of Labor and Employment (iDOLE) card.
  5. Commission on Elections (COMELEC) Voter’s ID or Voter’s Certification from the Election Officer with Dry Seal.
  6. Philippine National Police (PNP) Firearms License
  7. Senior Citizen ID
  8. Airman License (issued August 2016 onwards)
  9. School ID (if applicable)
  10. Current Valid ePassport (for Renewal of ePassport)
  11. For applicants based overseas, they may use their host government-issued IDs showing their Philippine citizenship. (Example: Residence Card)

Important Reminder: The Department may require additional supporting documents as may be necessary.

The DFA requires various supporting documents depending on the applicant’s case.  For example, you do not have a PSA birth certificate and could not retrieve a Report of Birth from the LCR of your birth certificate.  Or yours is a Late Registered birth certificate or a female applicant’s marriage has been dissolved and she wants to use her maiden surname in her passport.

To get the list of supporting documents based on these differing cases, follow our blog and Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/MasterCitizen/

See you again tomorrow!

Chips And Nibblers (1)

Closet Queen



This blog is sponsored by PSAHelpline.ph.

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/PSAHelpline.ph/

Place your PSA birth certificate orders online at http://www.PSAHelpline.ph or through our FB Chat Messenger at @PSAHelpline.ph


1 jan 15 (1)

And just an hour after my previous blog, the DFA announces its brand new directive that birth certificates are no longer required for ALL types of passport renewals.  Yes, even for passports issued in 2009 or earlier and all non-epassport types.

Just to be clear though, the PSA birth certificate is still a documentary requirement when applying for your passport for the first time.  Also, the PSA marriage certificate shall still be required if a female passport applicant wishes to use her married last name in her passport, or are renewing an old passport that is in her maiden name and would now want to use her married last name.

To be sure, always keep an updated copy of your PSA birth certificate and marriage certificate, especially when transacting with government agencies that often require proofs of identification.

For questions about passport application and renewal requirements, send us your messages!


Jan 09 (1)

In almost all of your transactions, whether with a government agency or a private corporation like banks, schools, and remittance centers, you will always be required to present a government-issued ID.  It doesn’t matter if you have a company ID, a school ID, or membership cards, agencies will always require you to present a government-issued ID.

When applying for a passport, you will be required to present at least one of the following:

  • Digitized SSS ID
  • Driver’s License
  • GSIS E-Card
  • PRC ID
  • IBP ID
  • Digitized BIR ID
  • Senior Citizen’s ID
  • Voter’s ID
  • Seaman’s Book

Today’s article will focus on the different types of government-issued IDs and certificates and how you can apply for each.  We hope this helps you complete your collection of government-issued IDs.


A Community Tax Certificate (CTC), also known as Cedula, is issued to every individual or corporation upon payment of the community tax.  Every Filipino who is at least 18 years old and has been regularly employed for at least 30 consecutive working days must have his own cedula.  Business owners, real property owners, and all others who may be required by law must also apply for a cedula.

How to get a Cedula:

  1. Go to your local government office (barangay, municipal, or city hall) where CTCs are issued.
  2. Fill out the application slip, submit, and pay the required amount.  The fee will depend on how much salary you are going to declare on the application slip.  Wait for the issuing officer to give you your CTC.
  3. Sign and affix your thumbprint on the spaces provided on the CTC.
  4. The Cedula is valid until the last day of the year when it was acquired.

Barangay Clearance

The Barangay Clearance is a prerequisite for a Postal ID or a Mayor’s Permit; it is something that both private employees and business people need to have.  It is also a basic requirement when applying for affidavits and other legal transactions.  Basically, it attests to your good standing as a resident or business owner in a specific barangay.

How to get a Barangay Clearance:

  1. Proceed to your designated Barangay Hall and inform the officer on duty that you would like to apply for a Barangay Clearance. Fill out the application form and pay the necessary fees (fees vary per barangay).
  2. Present your cedula; if you do not have one yet, you may also secure this from the barangay hall.
  3. Wait for your clearance to be released (if no negative records are found under your name).

Postal ID

Phlpost has upgraded the physical appearance of the postal ID.  You need to get one as an additional government-issued ID.  Here are the requirements and procedures:

  1. Proceed to the Post Office in your area and submit two copies of duly accomplished PID application form.
  2. Submit your PSA birth certificate or GSIS or UMID Card, or Driver’s License, or valid Passport.
  3. If you are a married female applicant, bring a copy of your PSA Marriage Certificate to validate change of name from birth documents.
  4. Pay the fixed fee of Php 504.00.
  5. You will be instructed to proceed to the nearest ID capture station for your photo and fingerprints.  There are 260 ID capture stations nationwide.
  6. Expect to receive your ID after approximately 15 working days if your delivery address is in Metro Manila, 20 working days if you live in other major cities and municipalities, and 30 working days if you live in island provinces and remote barangays.

NBI Clearance

You may now apply for an NBI clearance online!  Here’s how:

  1. Register and create your account online at nbi-clearance.com.  There will be a guided process, just follow this.
  2. Make sure to have a working and accessible email address; use this when registering at the NBI website and wait for the confirmation email to be sent to you. You need to confirm your registration through the email in order for your account to activate.
  3. Login to your NBI account using the username and password you registered. Fill out the online application form and submit.
  4. Schedule an appointment at your preferred NBI Clearance Outlet.  Select the date when you wish to process your NBI clearance.
  5. Fee for NBI Clearance is P115 but e-payment services charge an additional P25, so your NBI Clearance fee total will be P140.  You may pay online, or over the counter at accredited banks, through GCash, or at any Bayad Center.  Note that until you have made a payment, your appointment is not confirmed.
  6. Print your NBI clearance application form and wait for the date of your appointment.  Bring your printed form when you visit the NBI outlet.

Unified Multi-purpose ID

Considered as the “Mother” of all IDs because it can cover your SSS, GSIS, PagIBIG, and PhilHealth transactions through a contact less smartchip technology.  It stores the member’s SSS information and biometrics data such as fingerprints, facial image, and signature.

  1. Visit the nearest SSS branch that has UMID enrollment/ID capture facility.  Fill out the UMID Card application form.
  2. Bring one of the primary valid IDs (passport, driver’s license, Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) Card, Seaman’s Book).  If you do not have any of these, bring two of your secondary identification cards/documents.
  3. Proceed to the ID capture booth, fingerprint scanning, and electronic signature process.
  4. Wait for your UMID to be delivered to your address.


This is required before you even begin working; all legitimate companies will require your Tax Identification Number (TIN) to ensure that your taxes are remitted to the government properly.

  1. Proceed to the nearest BIR branch in your area.  Note that it would be best that you apply at the BIR in the same city or municipality where you are working.
  2. Bring a copy of your PSA birth certificate and 1×1 photo of yourself.
  3. The BIR TIN ID has a lifetime validity and is free of charge.  Some RDOs may be able to give you your ID on the same day while others may require you to come back after a day.

PRC ID (Professional Regulations Commission)

This is exclusive to individuals who took and passed professional licensure examinations such as Certified Public Accountants, Architects, Engineers, Lawyers, Physicians, Dentists, etc.

  1. Accomplish the Action Sheet – this may be downloaded from the PRC website.
  2. Pay for the metered documentary stamps at the CSC (Customer Service Counter).  Please make sure that your photo and photocopies of documents have metered documentary stamps.
  3. Pay the prescribed fees at the Cashier (Php 450).
  4. Present duly accomplished AS together with documents and receive your claim slip at Window 16, Window 18, and Window 30.
  5. Claim your documents as scheduled.  Please refer to your claim slip for further instructions.

Your PRC ID is valid for three years and can be renewed thereafter.

If you are thinking about applying for a Philippine passport, it may be best that you work on getting at least three government-issued IDs first.

For questions about the different IDs and clearances we featured, send us a message and we will do our best to find the best answers for you.

Reference: http://www.gov.ph

Chips And Nibblers (1)

Closet Queen




A passport applicant was denied because her name on her birth certificate did not match any of the IDs and clearances she presented to the DFA.  Why is this so?

Janine’s parents’ marriage was annulled shortly after she turned one year old.  After the annulment, her mother immediately reverted to using her maiden last name.  Since the mother had sole custody of Janine, she decided to drop the father’s last name and had Janine use her maiden name in all of her records instead.

Now, at 34 years old, Janine applied for her passport (for the first time) and was shocked when she was told her application was denied.  According to the DFA, the name on her birth certificate and the names on the rest of her documents and IDs do not match.  And because of this, she needs to have her birth certificate amended first before her application could be entertained.

Janine was willing to just use her name as it appears on her birth certificate but they explained to her that this could not be done.  The DFA verifies a person’s identity against all of the documents and IDs required of an applicant and since her names do not match, they could not issue her a passport.

What are the requirements when applying for a passport for the first time?

  1. Personal appearance of applicant.
  2. Confirmed appointment
  3. Duly accomplished application form (may be downloaded from the DFA website).
  4. Birth Certificate in PSA Security Paper (SECPA) or Certified True Copy of Birth Certificate issued by the Local Civil Registrar (LCR) and duly authenticated by the PSA.
  5. Valid picture IDs and supporting documents to prove identity such as:
    • Government-issued picture IDs:
      • Digitized SSS ID
      • Driver’s License
      • GSIS E-card
      • PRC ID
      • IBP ID
      • OWWA ID
      • Digitized BIR ID
      • Senior Citizen’s ID
      • Unified Multi-purpose ID
      • Voter’s ID
      • Old College ID
      • Alumni ID
      • Old Employment IDs
    • And at least two of the following:
      • PSA Marriage Contract
      • Land Title
      • Seaman’s Book
      • Elementary or High School Form 137 or Transcript of Records with readable dry seal.
      • Government Service Record
      • NBI Clearance
      • Police Clearance
      • Barangay Clearance
      • Digitized Postal ID
      • Readable SSS-E1 Form or Microfilmed Copy of SSS E1 Form
      • Voter’s Certification, List of Voters and Voter’s Registration Record
      • School Yearbook

Janine presented her PSA Birth Certificate, her college IDs, her company ID, and her Voter’s ID.  Of the four, only her birth certificate shows her last name as that of her father’s while the rest were all her mother’s maiden last name.

She was advised to proceed to the Local Civil Registry where her birth was registered and inquire about the processes involved in changing her surname (as a result of the nullification of her parents’ marriage).  Once her birth certificate has been duly annotated with the necessary changes (on her last name), she may apply for her passport once again.

Source: http://www.dfa.gov.ph/index.php/2013-04-04-06-59-48

Chips And Nibblers (1)

Closet Queen


%d bloggers like this: