Tag Archive: New Passport Application

7 July 31

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) will begin accepting the PhlPost ID (postal ID) as a primary ID when applying for or renewing your passport, beginning today, August 1, 2019.  This should be good news for most of us who have limited government-issued IDs (especially for those who do not have a driver’s license or a PRC ID).  Personally, I only have my passport, TIN, and SSS ID; and before I even got my passport, I only had my SSS.  So for those who have yet to apply for an SSS ID, or a Driver’s License, or any other major government-issued ID, your postal ID can now come in handy when transacting with the DFA.

Here is the list of other acceptable valid IDs for passport applications:

  • Social Security System ID
  • Government Service Insurance System ID
  • Unified Multi-purpose ID
  • Land Transportation Office Driver’s License (student permits will be accepted if in card format).
  • Professional Regulatory Commission ID
  • Overseas Workers Welfare Administration e-card.
  • Commission on Elections voter’s ID or Voter’s Certification from the election officer (with dry seal).
  • Philippine National Police firearms license
  • Senior Citizen ID
  • Airman license (issued August 2016 onwards)
  • School ID (if applicable)
  • Current valid ePassport (for renewal of ePassport)

If you want to know how to get a Postal ID, read this blog.

For more information on passport application and renewal, here are some of my previous blogs you can visit:

Passport Application: What You Need to Bring to the DFA Consular Office 

What Are The Requirements for New Passport Application? 

DFA Passport Appointment: No Show, No Refund 

Birth Certificates No Longer Required for Passport Renewal (and Why You Still Need To Get A Copy of Your PSA Birth Certificate)

List of Requirements for Renewal of Passport






3 Mar 06

When my mom requested for a copy of her PSA birth certificate a few years back, we got a Negative Report instead.  This means that she does not have a birth certificate reported to the PSA.  When we sought the assistance of the LCR in Cabanatuan (where she was born), we were advised that her birth certificate was among those that were destroyed during a fire at the municipal hall in the ‘90s.  They do not have any back-up files.

How does a person who does not have a birth certificate, apply for a passport?  Read this.

  • If the applicant was born AFTER 1950:
    • He or she must file for late registration with the Local Civil Registrar (LCR) or Consular Office with jurisdiction over the place where he or she was born.
    • Upon release, he or she must submit the original copy of the PSA authenticated late registered Birth Certificate with the requisite supporting documents and IDs that pre-date the late registration.
  • If the applicant was born ON or BEFORE 1950:
    • He or she must submit original copies of his PSA authenticated certificate of No Birth Record and Affidavit of Two Disinterested Persons attesting to his or her identity.

The above requirements (based on the year when the applicant was born) shall be included to the rest of the documents and IDs required by the DFA for first-time adult passport applicants. If you missed our blog on the updated requirements for new passport applications, just click here.

See you again tomorrow for our next feature article on passport requirements for individuals with unique cases in their birth certificates.

Reference: www.passport.gov.ph

Chips And Nibblers (1)

Closet Queen


This blog is sponsored by PSAHelpline.ph.

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/PSAHelpline.ph/

Place your PSA birth certificate orders online at http://www.PSAHelpline.ph or through our FB Chat Messenger at @PSAHelpline.ph

04 - 06 (1)

When a person changes his name, whether due to marriage, adoption, or corrections on birth certificate entries, the rest of his identification documents, such as passports, should also be updated.  Here is a list of name amendments allowed by Philippine laws and the specific requirements when applying for a new or renewed passport due to change in name.

  1. Change of name due to marriage.
  2. Change of surname of a legitimated child by virtue of a subsequent marriage of parents.
  3. Change of name due to adoption.
  4. Change of name due to death of spouse or annulment of marriage.
  5. Change of name due to divorce (valid only for those Filipinos who did not act as Plaintiff in the divorce proceedings, i.e. the Filipino spouse did not initiate the divorce proceedings; not valid for couples who were both Filipinos at the time of the marriage).
  6. Change of name as duly ordered by Philippine courts or the Civil Registrar General.

General Requirements

  1. Duly accomplished passport application form, typed or printed legibly in black or blue ink.
  2. Latest original passport and one photocopy of data page of passport (original will be returned).
  3. Proof that applicant has not applied for foreign citizenship, e.g. resident alien card.

Requirements for Change of Name DUE TO MARRIAGE:

  1. If marriage was solemnized in the Philippines, bring your PSA certified original copy and one photocopy or marriage certificate.  The original copy is for verification only and will be returned to the applicant. Applicant may order a copy of the PSA Marriage Certificate online at www.psahelpline.ph.  Copies will be delivered to their address.
  2. Original and one photocopy of marriage certificate The original copy is for verification only and will be returned to the applicant. Applicant may order a copy of the PSA Marriage Certificate online at www.psahelpline.ph.  Copies will be delivered to their address.
  3. If marriage was solemnized abroad, bring a duly accomplished Report of Marriage Contracted Abroad form.


  1. For widowed applicants, authenticated death certificate of husband, authenticated court order of presumptive death.
  2. If marriage was annulled, PSA Marriage Certificate, with annotation reflecting the annulment of marriage.  Applicant may have a copy delivered by ordering online at www.psahelpline.ph.
  3. If applicant is divorced, submit an original and one photocopy of Divorce Decree (original will be returned).
  4. Number 3 is applicable only when the applicant is the Filipino spouse; if both parties were Filipino citizens at the time of marriage, this will not apply.

Requirement for change of name DUE TO LEGITIMATION UPON SUBSEQUENT MARRIAGE OF PARENTS (or as ordered by Philippine courts or by the Civil Registrar General):

Requirement for change of name DUE TO ADOPTION:

Changes in name allowed under Republic Act 9048:

These are changes in name entries that did not have to undergo a judicial order:

  • Correction of clerical or typographical errors in any entry in civil registry documents, except corrections involving the change in sex, age, nationality, and civil status of a person.
  • Change of a person’s first name in his/her civil registry document under certain grounds specified under the law through administrative process.





Chips And Nibblers (1)

Closet Queen



A passport applicant was denied because her name on her birth certificate did not match any of the IDs and clearances she presented to the DFA.  Why is this so?

Janine’s parents’ marriage was annulled shortly after she turned one year old.  After the annulment, her mother immediately reverted to using her maiden last name.  Since the mother had sole custody of Janine, she decided to drop the father’s last name and had Janine use her maiden name in all of her records instead.

Now, at 34 years old, Janine applied for her passport (for the first time) and was shocked when she was told her application was denied.  According to the DFA, the name on her birth certificate and the names on the rest of her documents and IDs do not match.  And because of this, she needs to have her birth certificate amended first before her application could be entertained.

Janine was willing to just use her name as it appears on her birth certificate but they explained to her that this could not be done.  The DFA verifies a person’s identity against all of the documents and IDs required of an applicant and since her names do not match, they could not issue her a passport.

What are the requirements when applying for a passport for the first time?

  1. Personal appearance of applicant.
  2. Confirmed appointment
  3. Duly accomplished application form (may be downloaded from the DFA website).
  4. Birth Certificate in PSA Security Paper (SECPA) or Certified True Copy of Birth Certificate issued by the Local Civil Registrar (LCR) and duly authenticated by the PSA.
  5. Valid picture IDs and supporting documents to prove identity such as:
    • Government-issued picture IDs:
      • Digitized SSS ID
      • Driver’s License
      • GSIS E-card
      • PRC ID
      • IBP ID
      • OWWA ID
      • Digitized BIR ID
      • Senior Citizen’s ID
      • Unified Multi-purpose ID
      • Voter’s ID
      • Old College ID
      • Alumni ID
      • Old Employment IDs
    • And at least two of the following:
      • PSA Marriage Contract
      • Land Title
      • Seaman’s Book
      • Elementary or High School Form 137 or Transcript of Records with readable dry seal.
      • Government Service Record
      • NBI Clearance
      • Police Clearance
      • Barangay Clearance
      • Digitized Postal ID
      • Readable SSS-E1 Form or Microfilmed Copy of SSS E1 Form
      • Voter’s Certification, List of Voters and Voter’s Registration Record
      • School Yearbook

Janine presented her PSA Birth Certificate, her college IDs, her company ID, and her Voter’s ID.  Of the four, only her birth certificate shows her last name as that of her father’s while the rest were all her mother’s maiden last name.

She was advised to proceed to the Local Civil Registry where her birth was registered and inquire about the processes involved in changing her surname (as a result of the nullification of her parents’ marriage).  Once her birth certificate has been duly annotated with the necessary changes (on her last name), she may apply for her passport once again.

Source: http://www.dfa.gov.ph/index.php/2013-04-04-06-59-48

Chips And Nibblers (1)

Closet Queen


%d bloggers like this: