Tag Archive: DSWD

07 - 24 -1 (1)

It has been more than a year since we featured House Bill No. 5060 or the Philippine Identification System Act.  This is the bill that will require all Filipinos to be issued a national identification card that will serve as their main identification for all government transactions, claims, use of government-mandated benefits, and applying for clearances from the NBI and PNP.   At that time, the said bill has just been signed and approved by the House of Representatives and was passed on to the Senate for deliberation.

While the country is eagerly awaiting the finality the National ID System Act, the Department of Finance (DOF) came up with an additional proposal to tap the ID as a means to determine an individual’s privilege to certain subsidies, discounts, and tax exemptions under the law.

How do these additional parameters affect the National ID System’s initial purpose?

Apart from the National ID being an all-in-one valid ID (except as a Driver’s License and Passport), the DOF is proposing that it contain biometrics data to determine a citizen’s entitlement to certain subsidies and benefits provided by the government.

For example, if a PWD is entitled to discounts on medicines, fare, and education, his (national) ID alone should be enough to determine his eligibility for such discounts.  Another possibility that the DOF is looking at is to activate an EMV (Europay-Mastercard-Visa) chip in the card.  Through this chip, the card can double as an ATM card where the owner may receive cash subsidies from the government, if he or she is legally entitled to such benefits.  It simplifies the identification and benefits disbursement process, both for the government and the recipient.

Do these new proposals affect the anticipated release and distribution of the IDs?

It does.

The issuance of the IDs will be done in batches.  Since the DOF has expressed its intention of tapping the National ID to address the long process of applying and claiming benefits for individuals with special needs, senior citizens and persons with disabilities are seen to be the first recipients of these IDs.  Soon after, members of the 5.2 million poor households that are not yet covered by the conditional cash transfer program of the DSWD will follow.

All in all, the government plans to provide IDs to the more than 100 million Filipinos in two years’ time, after the bill is enacted into law.

Who will issue the IDs?

The Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) shall be responsible for the proper issuance of the ID cards.

We will keep this thread updated on the progress of the proposed National ID System.  If you have any questions or related information you would like to share, please feel free to send us a message.  We will do our best to find the answers for you.





Chips And Nibblers (1)

Closet Queen




03 - 31 (1)

Margaret is 13 years old and is about to secure her very first passport.  It would have been a breeze to accomplish this errand if not for Margaret’s living arrangement that is quite complicated.

Margaret’s parents separated before she turned 7 years old.  Her mother went back home to her province in Dumaguete; Margaret was left with her father who was then working as a nurse in Manila.  Not long after the separation, her father met another woman who would later assume the role of Margaret’s mom.  By the time Margaret turned 9 years old, her father’s girlfriend has moved in with them and has since been taking care of Margaret like she was her own daughter.

Her father is now based in London with a successful career as a dialysis nurse.  He wants for his girlfriend and Margaret to come visit him this summer.  While Margaret is all set to begin her passport application process, her father’s girlfriend is a bit worried that she might not be able to produce the documents required by the DFA.

What are the general requirements for minors applying for a passport?

The requirements vary depending on the child’s birthright and if she is traveling on her own, with her parents, or a guardian.

General Requirements:

  1. Confirmed appointment
  2. Personal appearance of minor
  3. Personal appearance of parent
  4. PSA birth certificate
  5. School ID or Form 137 of minor applicant
  6. PSA marriage certificate of minor applicant’s parents.
  7. Affidavit of support and consent to travel (from parent).
  8. Valid passport of the person traveling with the minor.
  9. Parents’ valid passport or identification documents.

If the child is not traveling with either parent or alone:

  1. All of the General Requirements and
  2. DSWD clearance

If both parents are abroad:

  1. All of the General Requirements and
  2. Special power of attorney (with an attached photocopy of either parent’s valid passport authorizing a representative in assisting the child to apply for a passport.  If minor is illegitimate, mother should execute the SPA).

If minor is legitimated by subsequent marriage of parents.

  1. All of the General Requirements and
  2. PSA birth certificate of the minor and must include the annotation regarding new status as legitimated and the full name of the child.

If minor is illegitimate but acknowledged by father.

  1. All of the General Requirements and
  2. PSA birth certificate of the minor reflecting surname of father with Affidavit of Acknowledgment and Consent to use the surname of the father.

If minor is legally adopted

  1. All of the General Requirements and
  2. PSA birth certificate
    • Original and certified true copy of PSA birth certificate before adoption.
    • Original and certified true copy of PSA amended birth certificate after adoption.
  3. DSWD clearance
    • If traveling with a person other than the adopting parents.
  4. Certified True Copy of the Court Decision of Order on Adoption and Certificate of Finality must also be complied.

If minor’s parents are annulled / divorced

  1. All of the General Requirements and
  2. PSA marriage certificate of parents with annotation on nullity or annulment decree.
  3. DSWD clearance

If minor’s mother is likewise a minor

  1. All of the General Requirements and
  2. Personal appearance of mother and maternal grandparents.
  3. PSA birth certificate of minor applicant and mother.
  4. Affidavit of Support and Consent executed by the maternal grandparents indicating the name of the traveling companion.
  5. DSWD clearance if traveling with a person other than the maternal grandparents.
  6. Proof of identity of mother and maternal grandparents.

Minors 12 months and below are no longer required to seek an appointment with the DFA.

Apart from producing all the basic documentary requirements, Margaret’s father had to contact her mother and request her to accompany Margaret to the DFA.  This made Margaret’s passport application a lot easier than if she were accompanied by her father’s girlfriend.

Applying for a minor child’s passport could get complicated if you are not armed with the necessary documents beforehand.  We hope this list helps clear out the questions that most parents have regarding their children’s passport applications and renewals.

Chips And Nibblers (1)

Closet Queen



03 - 20

Madz works as a call center agent in a multi-national company in Makati.  She delivers her job well, has an impeccable attendance record, and is an effective team player.

Madz is also a Person with Disability (PWD); she lost her ability to walk after being stricken with polio at 3 years old.  She grew up maneuvering a wheelchair whenever she needs to go from one room to another.  Yet she did not let this disability become a detriment to her dreams of becoming a successful corporate executive like her father.  She will stop at nothing to get to her dreams.

Her medical expenses could sometimes cause huge dents in the family’s budget.  So even while studying, Madz would take odd jobs at school like helping out in the library or sitting in as an assistant to the Registrar during enrollment season.  She would grab any opportunity to earn extra money to help her get through college.  She wanted to liberate her parents from her medical expenses as soon as she can.  Now that she is employed, she pays for all her medicines and doctor’s appointments out of the money she earns as a call center agent.  It helps that some of her medical needs are covered by their company’s HMO and her Philhealth.

While Madz’s salary is well above the minimum wage, her growing medical expenses have started taking its toll on her monthly budget.  If only she could get more discounts on her medicine purchases and hospital expenses, she would be able to at least enjoy part of her hard-earned salary.  She tried her luck by asking the Philhealth if PWDs like herself are considered automatic members of Philhealth like Senior Citizens.

The answer was “No”.  Unlike Seniors who become “lifetime members” upon reaching the age of 60, PWDs still need to make monthly contributions to the Philhealth in order to enjoy the benefits afforded by the agency to Filipinos.

There is Hope.

Lawmakers are seeking to have RA 7277 or the Magna Carta for Persons with Disability amended in order to grant mandatory Philhealth coverage to all Persons with Disability.  The bill covers the following purposes:

  • This bill provides all PWDs with automatic health insurance coverage under the PHIC.
  • To support their enrollment to Philhealth, the national government shall pay for their premium payments to be sourced from the sin tax collections in accordance with Republic Act No. 10351 otherwise known as “An Act Restructuring the Excise Tax on Alcohol and Tobacco Products.”

This move came about after the UN Convention enjoined all member-states to ensure that PWDs enjoy their rights, freedom and dignity.  The same body defined PWDs as those who have long-term physical, mental, intellectual, or sensory impairments which may hinder their full and effective participation in the society on an equal basis with others.

The bill is yet to be approved; once enacted into law, all PWDs shall be able to enjoy the benefits of Philhealth and be freed from the financial burden of availing the health care services they need.  The government shall fund their health insurances out of the sin tax collections in accordance with RA 10351 or the Act Restructuring the Excise Tax on Alcohol and Tobacco Products.

Philhealth’s Role in Uplifting the Privileges of PWDs

Meantime that the government is working at improving the health insurances of PWDs, Philhealth continues to look out for opportunities to advance their support in making the lives of Pinoy PWDs more comfortable through specialized health packages.

One such package is the Z-Morph Prosthesis Package worth Php 15,000.00, launched in 2013.  This is granted to members or dependents in need of lower limb prosthesis, a device replacing a missing part of a person’s lower extremities.  All a member has to do to avail of this benefit is show his Philhealth card; this is initially available in three hospitals in Metro Manila: UE-RMMC, Philippine General Hospital, and Philippine Orthopedic Center.

While the government continues to explore more opportunities to expand the benefit packages for PWDs, affected individuals will have to continue making monthly contributions out of their salaries, or be listed as a beneficiary of a bona fide relative or family who is a Philhealth member, in order to avail of health benefits and privileges from the government.

For more information on the special packages offered by Philhealth to PWDs, visit their website at www.philhealth.gov.ph




Chips And Nibblers (1)

Closet Queen


03 - 09

16 years ago, the government enacted RA 8972 or what we all know as the Solo Parents’ Welfare Act of 2000.  Through this law, qualified solo parents are granted certain discounts and privileges, mandated by the government, in order to help them support their children.

This year, the Federation of Solo Parents in Luzvimin, Gabriela Women’s Party, and Ilaw Para sa Kababaihan at Bata groups moved to amend RA 8972 in order to improve the social services for solo parents, particularly in the barangay levels.  The following are the proposed amendments that the groups are seeking to propose:

  1. 20% discount on baby’s milk and food supplements made within 3 years from the child’s birth;
  2. 20% discount on medicines and vaccines for the child made within 18 years of the child’s birth;
  3. 20% on hospital bills of the solo parent when his or her child is admitted to a public or private hospital;
  4. 20% discount on public and private recreational facilities where solo parents spend time with their children.
  5. 12% discount on basic necessities;
  6. 15% discount on school supplies until the child reaches the age of 21;
  7. 10% discount on school tuition fees per child studying in college in either a public or private school;
  8. 10% discount on consultation and laboratory diagnostic fees, as well as in the purchase of medicines for solo parents and their dependents;
  9. A 7-day parental leave with pay if solo parent has rendered at least 6 months of service in a company.

In yesterday’s celebration of International Women’s Day, the DSWD led its employees in supporting and participating in the petition seeking to fast-track the implementation of the said amendments.  The ceremonial signature campaign was held at the Bonifacio Shrine in Manila.  They need one million signatures to push their call for improved benefits and privileges for the solo parent.

Will you support this cause?

Source: http://bit.ly/2mIduUr

Chips And Nibblers (1)

Closet Queen



Kung ang isang Senior Citizen ay hindi tumatanggap ng pension mula sa SSS o sa GSIS, maaari siyang mag apply sa DSWD para mapabilang sa Social Pension Program.  Narito ang mga requirements:

  1. Dapat ay 60 years old pataas ang edad ng aplikante.
  2. Dapat ay hindi tumatanggap ng pension ang aplikante mula sa SSS o sa GSIS.
  3. Kailangang may Certificate of Indigency ang aplikante mula sa barangay kung saan siya nakatira.

Ang mga aplikante ay ia-assess ng isang social worker mula sa DSWD; kapag pumasa, ipapadala sa DSWD ang kanilang endorsement para sa final approval.

Kapag na-aprubahan ang application for pension, makakatanggap ng Php1,500 na pension tuwing tatlong buwan (quarterly) o Php500 monthly.  Kailangan lamang mag hintay ng qualified pensioner hangga’t may mabakanteng “lugar” para sa kanila.  Ibig sabihin nito, ang lahat ng maa-aprubahang aplikante ay ilalagay sa wait list; habang nasa wait list, hindi muna sila makakatanggap ng pension.  Kapag may pumanaw na na DSWD pensioner o natanggal sa listahan dahil hindi na nakabilang sa indigent pensioner’s list, ay saka pa lamang mag-uumpisang tumanggap ng pension ang mga nasa wait list.

Hindi din malinaw kung ang tatanggapin bang pension ng mga nasa wait list ay lump sum ng mga pension na hindi nila natanggap habang sila ay naghihintay o mag uumpisa lamang ang bilang kapag sila ay natanggal na sa wait list.

Maaaring mag submit ang mga nais mag  apply sa DSWD Social Pension sa kahit na anong DSWD office sa buong bansa.

Source: http://kickerdaily.com/posts/2016/07/indigent-senior-citizens-without-sss-gsis-pension-can-apply-for-dswd-social-pension/



Last week, we featured the reminders for Pinoy passport holders who are travelling as tourists and to work abroad under a contract.  Today, on our second and final installment of this 2-part series, we are going to share the basic documentary requirements for Pinoy emigrants and those travelling with a minor.

These were lifted from the Bureau of Immigration website.

  1. What are the departure requirements for emigrant Philippine citizens?
    • Unexpired passport;
    • Immigrant visa or residence card;
    • CFO-emigrant registration sticker (ERS); and
    • Validly-issued travel ticket.

The Emigrant Registration Sticker may be obtained by registering at the Commission on Filipino Overseas (CFO and by attending the pre-departure orientation seminar (PDOS).  Children aged 12 years old and below are exempted from attending the PDOS but still needs to register at the CFO.  Children aged 13 years and above need to attend the Peer Counseling Program.

2. When shall a DSWD-travel clearance for travelling Filipino minors be required?

A Filipino minor (below 18 years of age) shall secure a DSWD-issued Travel Clearance if:

  • He/she is traveling alone to a foreign country; or
  • He/she is traveling to a foreign country accompanied by a person other than his/her parents.

3. What are the exceptions to the DSWD-issued Travel Clearance?

These minor children shall be exempt from the DSWD-issued Travel Clerance:

  1. Those of Philippine Foreign Service or diplomatic corps officials;
  2. Those living abroad with Philippine emigrants, subject to child-trafficking regulations;
  3. Those with unexpired alien passports;
  4. Adopted children, subject to a court-issued adoption order with Certificate of Finality;
  5. Illegitimate children with biological mother. If traveling with biological father, a proof of lawful custody must be presented.
  6. Those with proof of unexpired visa for permanent residence outside the Philippines;
  7. Those accompanied by a court-appointed guardian, subject to proof of guardianship;
  8. Those accompanied by a solo parent, subject to a Social Welfare Office-issued ID.  If illegitimate, subject to a Local Civil Registrar-issued Certificate of No Marriage.

It is good to note that coming back home to the Philippines with a passport that has less than six months’ validity is allowed for the following:

    • Philippine passport holders;
    • Former Filipinos and their dependents (i.e. immediate family members);
    • Permanent Residents and other special visa categories requiring temporary residence (with valid ACR 1-Cards);
    • Holders of diplomatic, official, and government passports.
    • Holders of visa under Section 9 (except Sec. 9 (a) and 47 of Commonwealth Act No. 613, as amended, and special non-immigrant visas under special laws, where the validity of such visas extend beyond the expiration of their passports and there is an Embassy or Consulate in the Philippines of which they are a citizen or subject (with valid ACR-1-Cards, where applicable); and
    • Those admitted by the Commissioner on humanitarian grounds.

A complete list of the countries whose nationals are allowed entry in the Philippines even passports of less than six months validity from date of arrival is available at the BOI website.

Share these information with your family and friends to avoid delays and set-backs on your trips abroad.

Source: http://www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/travel-req


Adopting a Child

How does one adopt a child in the Philippines?  Whether you are adopting a child from any of the local orphanages and DSWD offices in the country, or the child of a relative, or maybe even your own child, you need to be aware of the requirements and processes you have to go through.  Be forewarned that this is not a simple process.  Unlike when applying for a marriage license or registering the birth of a child, adopting a child involves a long and tedious process of qualifying the adopting couple or family and waiting for the approval (or disapproval) of the application.  So it is important that you are physically, mentally, and financially prepared before you decide to take the plunge.

To help you get started, here are the list of requirements and procedures in adopting a child in the Philippines. These were lifted from the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) website and Philpad.com.  These are based on the Domestic Adoption Law (RA 8552).

Who are qualified to adopt (in the Philippines)?

  • Filipino citizen or alien residing in the Philippines
  • Of legal age
  • At least 16 years older than adoptee, except when the adopting party is the biological parent.
  • Has the capacity to act and assume all the rights and duties related to the exercise of parental authority.
  • Is of good moral character and has not been convicted of any crime involving moral issues.
  • Is in a good position to support, educate, and care for his/her legitimate and illegitimate children and the child to be adopted.
  • Has undergone the pre-adoption services.
  • An alien may adopt if he/she has diplomatic relations with the Philippines, and has been certified by his/her diplomatic or consular office or any appropriated agency that he/she is qualified to adopt in his country, and that his/her government will allow the adoption.
  • An alien who has been residing in the Philippines for at least three (3) continuous years prior to the filing of the application for adoption and maintains such residence until the adoption decree is entered.

Who can be adopted?

  • Any person below 18 years old who has been administratively or judicially declared available for adoption.
  • Legitimate son/daughter of one spouse by the other spouse.
  • An illegitimate son/daughter by a qualified adopter/s to improve his/her status to that of legitimacy.
  • A person of legal age if, prior to the adoption, said person has been consistently considered and treated by the adopter/s as his /her own child since minority.
  • A child whose adoption has been previously rescinded or cancelled.
  • A child whose biological parent/s has died provided that no proceedings shall be initiated within 6 months from the time of death of the said parent/s.

What are the requirements?

  • PSA birth certificate
  • PSA marriage certificate (if adopters are married)
  • Written consent to the adoption of the legitimate, adopted, or illegitimate children living with the applicant who are aged 10 years old and above.
  • Health certificates of adopting couple and their family members.
  • NBI Clearance or Police Clearance
  • Latest ITR (Income Tax Return) or any proof of income.
  • Three character references
  • Statement of Acceptance from designated guardian
  • Latest family picture and home photos
  • Home study report

What are the processes involved?

  • Adopting party must attend the adoption counseling facilitated by the DSWD.
  • Submit application requirements to the DSWD to trigger preparation of home study report.
  • Stand-by for the approval or disapproval of the application.
  • If approved, the agency will facilitate matching or family selection.
  • Pre-placement of the child with the prospective adoptive parents. When cleared, the child will be placed with the adoptive parents.
  • This will trigger the start of supervised trial custody to see how the child adjusts to his new environment.
  • When cleared, the family will be issued the Adoption Decree/Certificate of Finality
  • The adoptive parents will be issued the amended birth certificate of the adopted child.
  • The family will be offered provision of post-adoptive services.

Source: www.dswd.gov.ph



Parental Travel Permit

Paul and Becca’s relationship has always been shaky. Even while they were dating, they would have episodes of verbal and physical abuse, mostly inflicted by her to him than the opposite. They parted ways before graduating from college only to reunite a few years later when Becca’s mother passed away and she needed someone to lean on. Paul offered friendship but Becca wanted more. Paul obliged and the rest is history.

Shortly into their first year of getting back together, Becca gave birth to their daughter, Kathy. Paul had big plans for his young family and worked harder in the small restaurant business that he put up after college.

So he was really surprised when Becca announced that she is leaving him and will be moving back in with her siblings. At first, she took their baby with her and would not let Paul see her unless he has groceries and other supplies for their child. Later on, Becca would let Paul borrow Kathy during weekends and on trips to Paul’s side of the family. One unexpected day, Becca’s sister brought Kathy to Paul’s condominium, complete with the child’s clothes and other belongings. She said that Becca ran off with a guy she met at work and they do not know where she is. And that Paul needs to take in Kathy now that her mother is nowhere to be found.

Kathy grew up under her father’s care. Paul provided handsomely for his only child; now that Kathy is eight years old, he wants to take her to Hong Kong Disneyland and see Queen Elsa in person. Kathy is ecstatic and could not wait for summer vacation so she and Daddy can finally fly out.

There is one catch though.

Since Kathy is an illegitimate child, Paul needs to secure a Parental Travel Permit from Becca so he can be allowed to take Kathy out of the country for their vacation. But Becca is nowhere to be found. From the day Kathy was brought to Paul’s condominium almost eight years ago, they have not heard from Becca anymore. They went to Becca’s parents’ hometowns, to her friends and colleagues; Kathy even spent one whole summer vacation at Becca’s sister’s house in Laguna hoping that Becca would drop by, call, or send a letter or email. They searched through the internet and in every available social media channel where she may be maintaining an account. But all their efforts were futile.

No one knows where she is or if she is still alive. She has literally abandoned, not just her daughter and her family, but her entire life. She literally disappeared without a trace.

Paul is faced with a dilemma. How does he take Kathy to Disneyland without that Parental Travel Permit?

Article 176 of the Family Code of the Philippines states that the biological mother is vested with the sole parental right over her illegitimate child (or children). This is the reason why biological fathers need to seek the mother’s permission to take their children on out-of-town trips. But what if the mother has gone missing like in the case of Becca?

The fact that custody rights are given to mothers says a lot about the woman’s unique ability to nurture children and families. However, there are also cases when the mother is seen to be unfit to care for her kids. There are those who choose not to be responsible for raising their children and therefore, give up their custody rights to the biological father of their children (or any other family member, friends, or complete strangers as in the case of adoption) while others are compelled to give up their right because of personal circumstances that affect their abilities to mother their children. In such cases, the custody is given to the biological father – but not without a proper court order to support the transfer of custody rights.

That is exactly what Paul worked on in order to take his daughter to their dream vacation. He sought the services of a lawyer friend and together, they studied his situation and how they can be given a court order stating that Paul now has the sole custody over Kathy.

Fortunately for Paul, Becca’s siblings threw in their support for Kathy’s sake. They testified that their sister has not had any communication with them or with Kathy for almost eight years now. They heard somewhere that she has migrated to the U.S. but they have yet to confirm this news. They also confirmed that it was Paul who has been providing for Kathy’s education, shelter, and other basic needs ever since she was born.

Once Paul is granted that court order, he and Kathy can begin exploring the world. Both of them are hopeful that Paul’s petition would return positive results. If Paul is granted the custody, they would not even need a DSWD Travel Clearance if he and Kathy are traveling together.

For more information on Travel Clearance and Parental Travel Permits, please visit the DSWD website at www.dswd.gov.ph

Travel Clearance

Summer vacation is just around the corner. To kids, it’s the next best thing to Christmas because it means time off from school and home works. They can sleep in until mid-day, spend more time with friends, and of course, go on vacation with the family.

Taking the kids on an out-of-town trip is always exciting. Whether you’re going to visit Lolo and Lola in the province or are flying out to a nearby country to experience a different culture and see famous tourist spots, a family trip is the highlight of every kid’s summer vacation.

But what if taking your child on an out-of-the-country trip requires more than just a passport and plane tickets? Did you know that the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) requires certain documents in case children are going on an international flight with people other than his parents or legal guardians? Read more about these important travel documents required by the government for the protection of our children.

The DSWD Travel Clearance – Who Needs This and Why?

The DSWD requires a Travel Clearance for children (of minor age) who will be traveling out of the country on their own or with people other than his/her parents or legal guardians. This is the government’s straightforward means of protecting children from the possibilities of human trafficking.

The DSWD Travel Clearance vs. Parental Travel Permit

The Parental Travel Permit is issued by the DSWD to minors traveling abroad accompanied by only one parent or persons exercising parental authority. The parent who will not be going on the trip (for various reasons) must execute a duly notarized Parental Travel Permit as proof that he or she has given her consent for her spouse (father or mother of the child) to take their child on a trip outside the country. This too is in relation with the government’s efforts to discourage human trafficking as stipulated in Republic Act 7610 (also known as Special Protection of Children Against Child Abuse, Exploitation and Discrimination Act).

The DSWD Travel Clearance is needed in cases when the minor child is traveling on his own or with people other than his parents or legal guardians. This is the case when kids are sent abroad by the school for competitions, workshops, further research, projects, and field trips. In such instances, the child is accompanied only by a teacher or a coach; a Travel Clearance is then needed.

But what if the child is an illegitimate minor and will be traveling only with his or her biological father?

By virtue of Article 176 of the Family Code of the Philippines, the law that gave mothers the parental authority over illegitimate children, a Parental Travel Permit needs to be executed (by the biological mother) in order for a biological father to take his minor child out of the country.

What if the minor child is adopted and will be traveling alone with his or her adoptive father or mother?

The same rule applies except that the parents need to submit the adoption papers to prove that said parents are recognized by the state as the adoptive parents of the child.

What are the requirements that parents need to prepare when their child is traveling abroad?

  1. Travel Clearance (when applicable);
  2. PSA Birth Certificate on Security Paper (SECPA) of the minor;
  3. PSA Marriage Certificate of minor’s parents (if married);
  4. Notarized Affidavit of Consent from parents/guardians authorizing a particular person to accompany the child in his/her travel abroad;
  5. Notarized Affidavit of Support of sponsor indicating employment and salary certified by the employer, if appropriate;
  6. Latest Income Tax Return of sponsoring person and/or parents with official confirmation receipts;
  7. Two passport size pictures of minor;
  8. Photocopy of passport and visa of traveling companion of the minor.

Tomorrow we will post an article on a case where the biological father wants to take his child (who is illegitimate) on a trip to Disneyland; however, he does not have any information on the mother’s whereabouts.

Will the child ever be able to travel with his father? Are there any exemptions to Article 176 of the Family Code when it is the father who raised the illegitimate child and the mother is nowhere to be found?

Let’s find out tomorrow.

Philhealth and You.jpg

Health is wealth, as the saying goes. And with the rising cost of medical services and procedures, maintenance medicines and health insurances, this adage truly never gets old.

To help Filipinos receive the appropriate health care they deserve, the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (Philhealth) was established by the government.

Philhealth is the premier health insurer in the country and mandated to provide social health insurance benefits and services to all Filipinos. The cost to be a member and enjoy such services is only roughly P1,800 / year. This amount already covers hospitalization expenses for the paying member and his dependents (children below 18 years old, parents 60 years old and above).

Further, Philhealth coverage is not limited to employed and “paying” members only. As a social insurance firm, the agency is driven to ensure universal health coverage for all Filipinos, even those, and especially those, that are not listed as “paying” members. The government subsidizes the membership of people identified as poor by the DSWD and LGUs so they too can be covered by Philhealth.

We are all in this together.

In February 2015, Philhealth declared that they have successfully listed 82% of the country’s population, as members. That is about 81.63 million Filipinos assured of health insurance, whether employed or not. Philhealth’s challenge is to reach out to the remaining 19% un-enrolled population; various initiatives are being studied to make the enrollment and membership process and requirements simpler and easier for all.

In the same year, Senior Citizens (60 years old and above) have been granted automatic membership to Philhealth; the government shoulders their annual premium contribution.

Philhealth vs. Private Health Insurance Companies

Private insurance firms are shifting to a new business model and their clients are now required to acquire Philhealth membership prior to signing up a policy with them. They maintain that the first peso spent for a member’s hospitalization shall be derived from Philhealth; anything above the Philhealth cap is shouldered by the private insurance company. This gives members an “additional” medical coverage, allowing the working class an increased edge in the fight against escalating health care costs.

Philhealth and private health insurance companies work together all for the benefit of its members.

Health Care Facilities and Professional Accreditation

While there is no law mandating doctors and health care specialists to seek accreditation from Philhealth, most, if not all, accredited hospitals require their physicians to be accredited. You will know that a hospital or clinic is Philhealth accredited by the Philhealth signage displayed in its receiving area as well as its streamers and billboards. Patients are encouraged to find out if the doctor being assigned to them is Philhealth accredited.

Philhealth is Online!

To know more about Philhealth membership or to access your Philhealth records, visit their website at www.philhealth.gov.ph. Make sure your Member Data Records are up-to-date and your beneficiaries’ and dependents’ information are correct. Claiming your benefits is much easier when your records are free from errors and corrections.

Getting sick and growing old are inevitable facts of life. Make sure you are prepared for both.  If you aren’t a member of Philhealth yet, you can enroll online and begin paying your contributions.

%d bloggers like this: