Tag Archive: Department of Education

08 - 08

The bill granting free tuition fees for students of state universities and colleges was signed into law and announced to the public last Friday, August 4, 2017.  It is now known as Republic Act 10931 or the “Universal Access to Quality Tertiary Education Act”.

To help the public better appreciate this good news, we are sharing the following summary to identify who are eligible for free tuition and other fees of` state universities and colleges (SUCs), local universities and colleges (LUCs), and technical-vocational institutions (TVIs).

Who are qualified?

  1. Students in SUCs and LUCs who passed the entrance examination and other admission and retention requirements.
  2. Students in state-run technical-vocational institutions (TVIs) under the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA).  TVIs provide non-degree programs aimed at preparing technicians, paraprofessionals, and other categories of middle-level workers.

Who are not qualified?

  1. In SUCs and LUCs:
    • Students who have already attained a bachelor’s degree or comparable undergraduate degree from any higher education institution whether public or private.
    • Students who fail to comply with the admission and retention policies of the SUC or LUC.
    • Students who fail to complete their bachelor’s degree or comparable undergraduate degree within a year after the period prescribed in their program.
  2. In state-run TVIs:
    • Students who have obtained a bachelor’s degree as well as those who have received a certificate or diploma for a technical-vocational course equivalent to at least National Certificate III and above.
    • Students who fail in any course enrolled in during the course of the program.

Can private school enrollees avail of the free tuition fee program?

Yes, they can.

Section 7 of the RA states that a tertiary education subsidy shall be established for Filipino students enrolled or intend to enroll in an undergraduate post-secondary program of an SUC, LUC, private higher education institution, and private and state-run technical-vocational institution.

What are covered by the subsidy?

  1. Tuition and other school fees in private HEIs and private or LGU-operated TVIs which shall be equivalent to the tuition and other school fees of the nearest SUC or state-run TVI in their respective areas.
  2. Allowance for books, supplies, transportation, and miscellaneous personal expenses, including a reasonable allowance for documented rental or purchase of personal computer or laptop and other education-related expenses.
  3. Allowance for room and board costs incurred by the student.  Allowance for expenses related to the disability of a disabled student.
  4. One-time cost of obtaining the first professional credentials or qualifications.

If you have questions about this brand new law, send us a message and we will do our best to find the answers for you.




Chips And Nibblers (1)

Closet Queen



06 - 06

Classes in public schools opened yesterday, June 5, 2017.  Nearly 27 million students, from grade school to high school, trooped to their respective classrooms, ready to begin a new school year.  Private schools are likewise poised to open their gates next week while enrollment and admissions in colleges and universities are still in full swing.

The Department of Education released a helpful guideline on the different policies involved in school opening, particularly for the grade school and high school levels.   We are sharing the salient points of the material here for your ready and easy reference.

The policies cover both public and private schools.

Read and share!


A. Kindergarten

  • Age qualification – must be 5 years old by the end of August 2017
  • Presentation of birth certificate or baptismal certificate (may be submitted within the school year).
  • Affidavit of identity of the learner, if birth or baptismal certificate is not available.

B. Eligibility to Grade 1

  • Completers of DepEd-accredited Kindergarten programs
  • Kindergarten Catch-up Education Program (KCEP) completers and passed the Philippine ECD checklist.
  • Children who completed alternative Kindergarten programs and passed the validating test (PVT).


A. Transfer of Learners

  • Learners Information System (LIS) as platform in the request and release of learner’s school records.
  • School to school transfer of Form 137 (permanent records) should not be hand carried by either the parent or learner.

B. Wearing of Uniforms and IDs

  • School uniforms are not required.
  • IDs will be provided by the school at no cost.

C. No Collection Policy

  • For Kinder to Grade 4 levels – no collection of any fees.
  • For Grade 5 to High School levels
    • No collection of any type during enrolment period up to the first month of classes.
    • Starting second month of every school year, authorized contributions may be collected but on a voluntary basis only.
  • No teacher, school officials, nor school personnel shall collect fees or contributions, nor shall they be entrusted with the safekeeping and disbursement of collections made by the PTA.
  • In no case shall non-payment of voluntary school contributions or membership fees be made a basis for non-admission, non-promotion, or non-issuance of clearance to a student by the school concerned.


School Year 2017-2018

  • 204 school days (June 5, 2017 to April 6, 2018).
  • 195 class days, 5 days INSET, 4 days for the Parent-Teacher conferences.
  • Conduct of General Assembly to orient stakeholders on the curriculum, co-curricular programs, and ancillary services.
  • Private schools may deviate from this calendar but should notify Regional Offices in advance.
  • Deviation should not be earlier than the first Monday of June and not later than the last day of August.


A. A student is officially enrolled in a private school after:

  • Submission of appropriate admission or transfer credentials.
  • Has made an initial payment of school fees.
  • Authorized to attend classes.

B. Transferring to another private school:

  • A student enrolled in a private school is entitled to transfer provided all obligations with current school are settled.
  • Release of transfer credentials may be withheld due to:
    • Suspension
    • Expulsion
    • Nonpayment of financial obligations
  • A student without appropriate admission or transfer credentials may be provisionally enrolled and attend classes during the school year.  He is given until the last day of the school year to submit his transfer credentials.

C. Tuition and other fees

  • A private school shall determine its rate of tuition and other school fees or charges.
  • Any revisions in rates and tuition fees shall be filed with the Regional Director.
  • Increases in tuition and other school fees shall be subject to the following conditions:
    • Consultation with duly organized student government, parents, and students.
    • No increase in tuition or other school fees shall be approved unless 70% of the proceeds is allocated for increase in salaries or wages of the faculty and other school employees and the balance for institutional development, student assistance, and extension services.
    • In no case shall the return to investments exceed 12%.
  • SHS Voucher – Students automatically qualifying for vouchers:
    • All Grade 10 completers in Public JHSs
    • All Grade 10 completers in SUCs and LUCs
    • All Grade 10 completers in private schools that are ESC grantees
    • Grade 10 completers in non-ESC private schools need to apply for vouchers.


  • Moratorium on field trips is currently in effect.
  • DepEd officials and personnel shall not endorse any plans, proposals, and intentions relative to the conduct of the field trips.
  • Schools where all arrangements have been set up including approved permits prior to the moratorium may proceed provided that existing guidelines are strictly observed.

Source: http://www.deped.gov.ph

Chips And Nibblers (1)

Closet Queen



03 - 14 (2)

This summer, various government agencies will be opening its doors to qualified high school and college students who wish to work and earn a few bucks while waiting for classes to resume. Interested applicants must meet the following requirements:

  1. Student / out-of-school youth at least 15 years old but not more than 24 years old;
  2. Must be enrolled this school year / must have the intention to enroll next school year (if out-of-school);
  3. The combined annual net income of both parents, including his/her own income if any, must not exceed Php 143,000;
  4. Student must have obtained at least an average passing grade during the last school year / term attended; and
  5. Must possess office skills such as knowledge in computer applications.

Documentary Requirements:

  1. SPES FORM 2 – APPLICATION FORM (Special Program for Employment of Students).
  2. PSA Birth Certificate
  3. Photocopy of latest Income Tax Return of parents or certification issued by BIR that the parents are exempted from payment of tax, or
  4. Original Certificate of Indigence or
  5. Original Certificate of Low Income issued by the barangay.

All applications must be submitted to the following address, on or before March 27, 2017.

Office of the Youth Formation Division, 3rd Floor, Mabini Building, DepEd Central Office, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City.

You may also scan the application and requirements and send in zipped file format to blss.yfd@deped.gov.ph



Chips And Nibblers (1)

Closet Queen



Doble ang Christmas bonus na matatanggap ng mga Public School Teachers ngayong taon!

Isang magandang balita para sa 720,000 na mga guro sa lahat ng mga pampublikong paaralan sa buong bansa dahil makakatanggap sila ng mula Php34,000 hanggang Php64,000 na cash bonus mula sa gobyerno.

Ayon sa Teacher’s Dignity Coalition (TDC), ang isang guro na tumatanggap ng sweldo na Php19,077 ay makakatanggap ng mga sumusunod na benepisyo:

  • Minimum of Php5,000 na Performance-based Bonus
  • Php19,077 na year-end bonus
  • Php5,000 na cash gift
  • Php5,000 na Productivity Enhancement Incentive (PEI)

Ang Performance-based Bonus at ang cash gift ay ibibigay ngayong Nobyembre samantalang ang Productivity Enhancement Incentive ay ibibigay sa Disyembre.

Ang lahat ng mga guro at DepEd employees at mga opisyal na tumanggap ng national awards noong 2015 mula sa Civil Service Commission, Metrobank Foundation, at National Literacy Awards ay siguradong tatanggap ng buong Php35,000 na bonus.

Samantala, ang mga entry-level teachers ay tatanggap ng Php16,774 na bonus at may iba na tumanggap din ng hanggang Php46,744.

Maligayang Pasko ang naghihintay sa ating mga mahal na guro!

Source: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/842029/public-school-teachers-nationwide-to-receive-double-their-christmas-bonus



While Christmas may be the most wonderful time of the year, it is also considered as the season when traffic is at its worst in Metro Manila.  The ‘ber’ months not only usher in cooler weather, it also seem to double the number of commuters traversing the whole stretch of Edsa looking for great deals at malls and bazaars, rushing to company Christmas parties and family reunions, and driving kids off to their school programs and recitals.  If traffic is bad on a regular working day, it hits a different level of madness when the Christmas season rolls in.

But, there’s hope.

On September 18, 2016, a Senator proposed to have this year’s school Christmas break be declared earlier than usual to help decongest the city’s main thoroughfares from traffic volume.  If kids are kept home during the first weeks of December, school buses and private cars would not need to convey students to schools, thereby, easing traffic in critical areas like the University Belt, Espana, Edsa, and Katipunan.  This will also help shorten the lines of commuters waiting for UV Express vans and buses at pick up points especially during weeknight rush hours.

Parents need not worry about their children missing too many days from school because these can be compensated by extending school days later on.  The government also admonished faculties from giving children too many assignments and projects to work on during the holidays.  The extended break must be spent by the students with their families instead of stressing over schoolwork.

The Department of Education, Commission on Higher Education and the Department of Transportation shall be requested by the Senate to discuss this proposal.

As a parent, teacher, or school administrator, do you agree with this proposal from the government?

Source: http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/581839/news/metro/poe-moves-for-early-christmas-break-in-schools-to-help-ease-ncr-traffic


School Year 2016 to 2017_1

The Department of Education announced the official start and end dates of school year 2016 to 2017.  Classes will begin on June 13, 2016 and will end on April 7, 2017.  Private schools may not necessarily follow the dates however, they are not allowed to start classes earlier than the first Monday of June or later than the last day of August.

Enrollment is ongoing in public and private schools.  One of the basic requirements, especially for new incoming students and those transferring to a different school, is the child’s PSA birth certificate.  For convenience, parents may have their children’s birth certificates delivered by calling the hotline (02) 737-1111 or by visiting the website psahelpline.com.  The certificates will be delivered to your preferred address in 2 to 3 days.

For everyone’s reference, we are sharing the following school calendar lifted from the http://www.gov.ph website.  Please share to parents and students.

School Year 2016 to 2017

 Source: http://www.gov.ph/2016/05/12/deped-calendar-sy-2016-2017/


Red Ribbon.jpg

If you have plans of working abroad or will be working abroad soon, it is likely that your employers or the embassy of the country you will be working at will require for DFA-certified copies of your school credentials.  This is more commonly referred to as “Red Ribbon” because authenticated documents bear a red ribbon and the dry seal of the DFA.  The most common documents that need authentication are your Transcript of Records, Diploma, Certificate of Graduation, Form 137, and even your PSA Birth Certificate and Marriage Certificate (when applicable).

How does one get his or her school credentials authenticated by the DFA?

The entire process begins with the Authentication and Verification of your school, CHED, TESDA, and or the DepEd (whichever is applicable to the student).  Any of these agencies (depending on the school you graduated from – public or private) must issue you a CAV or a Certificate of Authentication and Verification.  This shall mean that the documents you are submitting for authentication by the DFA are certified authentic and verified by the above agencies and by your school.  The CAV shall then form part of the documents to be submitted to DFA for authentication.

Read on for the step-by-step process in authenticating school credentials from a private school.  Please note that public school and state university graduates may inquire at their Registrar’s office regarding document authentication.

How to Red Ribbon College Diplomas and Transcript of Records (TOR)

  1. Prepare three (3) copies of your TOR and diploma.
  2. Submit the copies to your college or university’s Registrar’s Office; they will mark these as certified true copies.
  3. Request for an Authentication Registration Form from your Registrar; fill out the form and other documents the Registrar will give you. Make sure all your entries are written legibly.
  4. Pay the necessary fees; this will depend on your school. After paying, claim the certified true copies of your TOR and diploma.
  5. Proceed to the CHED office in your area and advise that you need your school documents authenticated by the DFA. Submit the copies certified by your Registrar, fill out the application forms, and pay the necessary fees.
  6. You will be given a stub containing the date when may collect your Red Ribboned papers at the DFA.

How to Red Ribbon High School Diploma and Form 137

  1. Prepare two (2) photocopies of your high school diploma; proceed to your school’s Registrar’s Office and advise that you need your diploma to be certified as true copies.
  2. Request for an Authentication Registration Form from your Registrar; fill out the form and other documents the Registrar will give you. Make sure all your entries are written legibly.
  3. Have the following ready as supporting documents for the authentication of your high school diploma and Form 137:
    • Form 137 (student’s permanent records)
    • Certificate of Graduation
    • Diploma
    • Special Order Number (if student graduated from a private school)
    • 2 pcs Passport size photos
  4. When you are sure that you have completed all documentary requirements, proceed to the DepEd office and file the documents you need authenticated by DFA.  You will be given a stub so you would know when you may claim your Red Ribboned documents at the DFA.

Authentication Fees:

  1. Php 100 / document (4 days processing)
  2. Php 200 / document (1 day processing)

Important Reminders:

  1. Unclaimed authenticated documents will be disposed of by the DFA after three (3) months from date of release.
  2. DFA San Fernando Pampanga (Office of Consular Affairs – Authentication Division) now accepts authentication for the following documents:
    • NBI Clearance
    • PSA-issued documents in security paper including CENOMAR
    • Barangay Certification w/ Mayor Certification (issued within Regions 1, 2, 3, and CAR only).
    • Police Clearance (issued within Regions 1, 2, 3, and CAR only).
    • Affidavits of Employment, Trainings/Seminars,  and Baptism/Confirmation w/ Regional Trial Court (RTC) Certification (issued within Regions 1, 2, 3, and CAR only).
    • Other Notarized Documents (SPA, Affidavit of Support and Guarantee, Consent, etc.) with RTC Certification (issued within Regions 1, 2, 3, and CAR only).
    • Medical Certifications authenticated by DOH.
    • PRC Documents (issued within the NCR, Regions I, II, III and CAR only).
    • LTO License Certification (issued by LTO main office only).
    • Foreign Documents authenticated by the Philippine /Consulate or documents authenticated by Foreign Embassies/Consulates based in the Philippines.
    • School Records (TOR, Diploma, Form 137, etc) w/ CHED, TESDA, or DEP-Ed Certificate of Authentication and Verification (CAV) (issued within the NCR, Regions I, II, III and CAR only).
  3. An applicant may request for authentication through a duly authorized representative.  Make sure that the representative is prepared with the following upon application:
    • Valid ID
    • Signed authorization or SPA from the applicant
    • Photocopy of applicant’s ID bearing the applicant’s signature
    • Photocopy of authorized representative’s ID
  4. In case the document needs further verification, the applicant is advised to file at Authentication Division, Aseana Building, corner Bradco Ave., Macapagal Blvd., Parañaque City.
  5. Liaison Officers of Recruitment Agencies are not allowed to transact authentication services at any Regional Consular Office (RCO).


How to Red Ribbon Diploma, TOR, Form 137 from DFA – Requirements


%d bloggers like this: