Tag Archive: Delayed Registration of Birth

1 Jan 03

Are you one of the many Filipinos who tried requesting for a copy of their birth certificate at the PSA and got a negative certificate instead?  If you get a negative certificate, it means that the PSA does not have a record of your civil registry document in their files.

This could be disheartening at first, but the good news is, there is a solution to this common birth certificate problem.  We are sharing an in-depth guide on how to file for late registration of birth so you could finally have your very own PSA birth certificate.

Before we go any further though, let me tell you that filing for late registration of birth with the intention of changing or correcting any information in your registered birth certificate is WRONG.  This will only result in more confusion on your civil registry records and might invalidate your personal identification documents in the future.  There are various ways you can correct the wrong information in your birth or marriage certificates, most of these we have featured in our blog.  You can also ask the Local Civil Registry (LCR) for the best solution to your birth certificate problem.

3 Steps for Late Registration of Birth Certificate:

  1. Confirm with the LCR that your birth is truly unregistered.

When you receive a negative report from the PSA, it does not automatically mean that you do not have a birth certificate. It could also mean that the local copy of your birth certificate was not forwarded to the PSA and that is why the PSA could not find your record in their files.

So first, visit the LCR of your birthplace and ask for a local copy of your birth certificate.  If they are able to find your records, have them endorse that to the PSA so you can get a PSA-certified copy of your birth certificate.  This process usually takes one month to complete and you need to visit the PSA’s main office in East Avenue, Quezon City for the first copy of your PSA birth certificate.

However, if the LCR could not find a local copy of your birth certificate, it means that your birth was not reported and you truly do not have a birth certificate.  This shall be your basis for applying for delayed or late registration of birth.

  1. Get the list of requirements for late registration of birth.

The requirements and fees for late registration of birth vary per municipality.  You can either check online or visit the municipal or city hall of your birthplace to get the most updated list.  Below is the list of requirements from the Quezon City hall (you can use this as basis, however, your birthplace’s municipal hall may still require more or lesser documents from this list):

  • Negative Certification from the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA)
  • If the child is LEGITIMATE:
    • Original copy of Baptismal Certificate and
    • Parents’ PSA Marriage Contract
  • If the child is ILLEGITIMATE:
    • Original copy of Baptismal Certificate and
    • Joint Affidavit of two (2) Disinterested persons.
    • Acknowledgment through documents (if father/mother or both parents are deceased).
      • Insurance
      • School Report Card
      • Title of House and Lot
      • Certified True Copy of Death Certificate


The fees for late registration of birth varies depending on the location and even age of the applicant.  A good example is in Makati where if the applicant is below 2 years old, the filing fee is Php 200; however, if the applicant is 2 years old or older, the fee is Php 500.

Again, the requirements (and fees) may vary depending on the municipal or city hall you are transacting with.  So it is best that you inquire first before working at completing your documents.

  1. Submit the complete set of documentary requirements at the LCR.

Late registration of birth must be filed at the LCR with jurisdiction over the place of birth of the unregistered person.  However, if you no longer reside in your birthplace, you may file an Out-of-town Late Registration or Reporting of Birth at the nearest LCR to your place of residence.  They should be able to process and transmit your documents to the LCR of your birthplace.  You need only to pay an Endorsement Fee of about Php 290 to complete the out-of-town transaction.

You may claim the first copy of your PSA birth certificate at the PSA’s main office in East Avenue, Quezon City.  This usually takes 3 to 6 months to complete.

If you have more questions about late registration of birth, you can send us an email and we will do our best to find the most appropriate answer for you.





1 Jan 03 C

Parents are obligated to register their babies as soon as possible, after birth.  By law, you should be able to properly register the details of your child’s birth within 30 days from the date of his birth.

Here’s how:

How to register a newborn baby born in a hospital:

  1. Be ready with your baby’s name.

The parent or parents should have already decided on the baby’s name weeks before it is born.  Write it on a piece of paper or save it in your phone’s note app so that the nurses and other attending personnel at the hospital would know how to spell your child’s name.

For your child’s sake, avoid giving him or her a complicated name – one that is too long and hard to spell.  You are only increasing the risk of the baby’s name getting misspelled in his or her Certificate of Live Birth and in other transactions as he or she grows up.

  1. Prepare the documentary requirements in advance.

Among the documents that the hospital may require from you are:

  1. PSA Marriage Certificate of parents (if married)
  2. Affidavit of Admission of Paternity filled out and signed by the father (if parents are not married but the father wants the child to use his last name).
  3. Private Handwritten Instrument or an official document that is handwritten and signed by the father to prove that he wholeheartedly recognizes the paternity of the child during his lifetime (again, if the parents are not married but the father would like to recognize the child as his and allows the child to use his last name in the birth certificate).
  4. Affidavit to Use the Surname of the Father filled out and signed by the father (the blank form will be provided by the hospital).
  5. Photocopies of the parents’ valid IDs.
  6. SSS, PhilHealth, and health insurance/HMO claim forms.

The affidavits executed by the biological father (in case the child is born illegitimate) shall be permanently attached to the child’s birth certificate.

  1. Accomplish the Certificate of Live Birth (COLB) Form.

The details of the birth, such as date and hour of birth, names of attending doctors and nurses, weight and gender of the baby, shall be provided by the attending physician, nurse, or hospital administrator.  When the parents are handed the COLB, these details must already be clearly written on the form.

The parents shall fill out the rest of the form, including:

  • Name of the baby.
  • Complete names of parents (as they appear on the parents’ PSA marriage certificate and individual PSA birth certificates).
  • Parents’ religion, occupation, citizenship, date, and place of marriage (if the parents are married).

Double-check all entries before submitting the form to the hospital administrator.  Any misspelled name or address, or incorrect dates, initials, or any other detail, shall remain as is (incorrect or misspelled) until your child’s birth certificate is submitted to and certified by the PSA.  These mistakes could cause tremendous problems to your child in the future while some might even have to go through court hearings just to rectify the errors.  So take time to review all entries in your child’s birth certificate before submitting them to the hospital.

The hospital should be able to submit the accomplished COLB to the local civil registrar (LCR) within 30 days after the child’s birth date, otherwise, the child’s registration shall be marked late.

  1. Secure your copy of your child’s Certificate of Live Birth (COLB).

This should be the same copy received by the LCR and duly submitted by the hospital where you gave birth.  If the hospital has not contacted you regarding this 30 days after you give birth, follow it up with them.

The LCR’s job is to endorse your child’s COLB to the PSA so that your child would have a PSA-certified birth certificate.

  1. Get a copy of your child’s PSA Birth Certificate.

The process of endorsing and generating a PSA birth certificate takes about 3 to 6 months to complete.  It would be safe to start checking with the PSA four months after you give birth (assuming the LCR has diligently submitted your child’s COLB on time.).

Your child’s first PSA birth certificate may be obtained at the PSA main office in East Avenue, Quezon City.

We shall also feature the process on how to register a baby’s birth if he or she is born at home.

If you have any questions about birth certificate registration, just drop us a line and we will do our best to find the answers for you.





Feb 20 (1)

Mang Roy was a famous farmer in their barrio.  His success story, from being a humble tenant who plants and harvests for landlords, to being one of the wealthiest landowners and supplier of root crops, fruits, and vegetables in their province, is well-known in their barangay.  When he retired from farming at the age of 62, he has successfully established his family’s properties and remained to be the largest supplier of milled rice in their region.

Sadly though, Mang Roy passed away shortly after handing over the operations of their farms to his eldest daughter. After his death, his family decided to subdivide part of Mang Roy’s farmland, the areas that he set apart for his children’s inheritance.

Through the help of a lawyer, the documents needed to transfer the land’s titles to Mang Roy’s children were filed at the Registry of Deeds.  Everything went smoothly until the ROD required the children to submit a copy of Mang Roy’s birth certificate.

His wife requested for a copy at the Philippine Statistics Authority although, at the back of her mind, she knows that she has never seen a copy of her husband’s birth certificate.  She recalls him saying once that he doesn’t have a birth certificate.

True enough, their request returned void; they were instead handed a negative certificate – meaning, Mang Roy’s birth is not registered.  When they inquired how they can get a copy of Mang Roy’s birth certificate, they were advised to apply for a late registration of birth at the LCR in Mang Roy’s birthplace.

Late registration of birth happens when a child remains unregistered at the Local Civil Registry of his birthplace for more than 30 days after his birth.  For various reasons, parents fail to report their child’s birth to the municipal hall and as a result, these children grow up without a record of their birth.  Not having a birth certificate is not a complicated matter since all you have to do is submit the person’s information for proper registration.  It becomes complicated when the person you wish to register is already dead.

Although the requirements for late registration are pretty simple (an original copy of your Baptismal Certificate and a Certified True Copy of the person’s Marriage Certificate), these may prove to be inutile since the person who needs to be registered is already dead.  However, without Mang Roy’s birth certificate, his children may not be granted their inheritance.

Their family lawyer advised them to execute a Joint Affidavit of Two Disinterested Persons – an attestation from two individuals who are not related to Mang Roy’s family but are fully aware of Mang Roy’s identity and roots.  This affidavit shall support the details of Mang Roy’s birth date and birthplace.  This, together with the negative certificate given by the PSA, shall then be submitted to the Registry of Deeds to fulfill the requirement for Mang Roy’s birth certificate.

Mang Roy’s children sought the kind help of their former landlords and the tenants of their farmlands.  All these people knew their father from as far back as when he was starting as a humble farmer and are all qualified to execute the needed affidavit.  As soon as the documents were notarized, Mang Roy’s children trooped to the ROD, submitted the documents, and explained to the clerk that their father’s birth was never registered and he did not have a birth certificate all his life.

Fortunately, the RDO accepted the documents and released the land titles of each of Mang Roy’s children.

It is important for all Filipinos to be duly registered at the LCR of their birthplaces and to have a copy of his birth certificate all the time.  If your parents still do not have birth certificates, find time to register them at their birthplaces so they would be properly accounted for by the PSA.  Every member of your household must have a copy of their PSA birth certificate, printed on the PSA’s Security Paper.

Reference: www.psa.gov.ph

Chips And Nibblers (1)

Closet Queen




03 - 29

Ang PSA Birth Certificate (dating NSO Birth Certificate) ay madalas na kasama sa listahan ng mga primary documentary requirements ng iba’t-ibang establishments tulad ng mga bangko, eskwelahan, at mga government agencies.  Ang birth certificate ay naka-print sa Security Paper (SECPA) at may selyo ng PSA sa upper left-hand corner ng dokumento.  Maaari itong makuha mula sa mga opisina ng PSA o ipa-deliver sa inyong bahay sa pamamagitan ng pag-order online o pagtawag sa hotline (02 – 737 – 1111).

Habang may mga taong nakakatanggap ng kopya ng kanilang PSA birth certificate, meron din naman na ang natatanggap na kopya ay iyong tinatawag na Negative Certification.  Ang ibig sabihin nito ay walang kopya ang PSA ng kanilang birth certificate.

Bakit Negative Certification ang natanggap ko mula sa PSA?

Ang dalawang dahilan kung bakit may mga nakakatanggap ng Negative Certification mula sa PSA ay:

  • Hindi pa naka rehistro ang kapanganakan ng taong nag request ng birth certificate.
  • Hindi pa nai-submit ng Local Civil Registry ang kopya ng birth certificate sa PSA.

Ano ang dapat kong gawin kapag nakatanggap ako ng Negative Certification?

Nakababahalang matuklasan na walang kopya ang PSA ng iyong birth certificate ngunit may paraan para maayos ito.

May kopya ang LCR ngunit walang kopya ang PSA.

Unahin mong alamin mula sa Local Civil Registry ng lugar kung saan ka ipinanganak kung meron silang record ng iyong kapanganakan.  Kadalasan ay merong naka file ngunit hindi nai-forward sa PSA para ma-certify.  Kung makukumpirma ng LCR na meron ka ngang birth certificate sa files nila, ito ang dapat mong gawin:

  1. Manghingi ng form sa LCR para makapag request ng Endorsement of Records.
  2. Bayaran ang courier fees sa Cashier at ipakita sa LCR ang iyong resibo.  Itago ang resibo bilang katibayan ng iyong filed transaction at binayarang courier fee.
  3. Pagkalipas ng isang linggo, maaari nang mag follow-up sa PSA Sta. Mesa office.  Dalhin ang resibo ng binayarang courier fee sa LCR para mas mabilis na ma-trace ang iyong transaction.

Ang unang kopya ng iyong pina-endorse na dokumento ay sa PSA Sta. Mesa makukuha.  Ang mga susunod na request ng kopya ng iyong PSA birth certificate ay maaari nang ma-order online o sa pagtawag sa PSAHelpline hotline na 02 – 737 -1111.

Walang naka-file na rehistro ng kapanganakan sa LCR.

Kung walang record ng iyong birth certificate na mahahanap ang LCR, ibig sabihin ay hindi narehistro ang iyong kapanganakan.  Wala ka talagang birth certificate at kailangan mong mag file ng Late Registration of Birth.

Maaari itong i-file sa munisipyo ng bayan kung saan ka ipinanganak.  Sakaling sa ibang bayan ka na nakatira, maaari ka na ring mag file sa LCR kung saan ka kasalukuyang naninirahan (Out-of-town Late Registration).

Ano ang requirements para makapag file ng Late Registration of Birth?

  1. Kung less than 18 years old:
    • Apat (4) na kopya ng Certificate of Live Birth na may kumpletong detalye at pirmado ng mga concerned parties.
    • Punuan din ng hinihinging detalye ang Affidavit of Delayed Registration sa likod ng Certificate of Live Birth.  Ang mga impormasyon dito ay magmumula sa ama, ina, o guardian ng may ari ng birth certificate, tulad ng:
      • Pangalan ng bata;
      • Petsa at lugar ng kapanganakan;
      • Pangalan ng ama ng bata kung ito ay illegitimate at kinikilala ng ama;
      • Kung legitimate ang bata, isulat ang petsa at lugar kung saan ikinasal ang mga magulang;
      • Isulat ang dahilan kung bakit hindi na-rehistro ang bata sa loob ng tatlumpung (30) araw mula sa petsa ng kanyang kapanganakan.
  2. Kung 18 years old and above:

Improtanteng ma-kumpirma mo muna na wala ka talagang birth records sa LCR ng iyong birthplace para maiwasan ang tinatawag na Double Registration.  Nangyayari ito kung meron nang birth registration ang isang tao at pagkalipas ng ilang taon ay nagpa-rehistro siyang muli sa ibang munisipyo.  Kung ito ang mangyayari, ang records na susundin ng LCR ay iyong unang registration; ito rin ang record na ipadadala sa PSA for certification.

Source: www.psa.gov.ph

Chips And Nibblers (1)

Closet Queen



A child’s birth must be registered at the city or municipal hall of the child’s birthplace within 30 days from the date of birth.  If parents fail to submit the necessary documents for registration, the child will not be issued a birth certificate until they file for a late registration.

Here are the documentary requirements when filing for late birth registration at the Quezon City Hall.  These are classified according the child’s birth right.

A. For Legitimate Children:

  • Original copy of the Baptismal Certificate
  • Certified True Copy of Marriage Contract

B. For Illegitimate Children:

  • Original copy of Baptismal Certificate
  • Joint Affidavit of two (2) disinterested persons

C. Acknowledgment through Documents (if father or mother or both parents are deceased):

  • Insurance
  • Report Card
  • Title of House and Lot
  • Certified True Copy of Death Certificate

Proceed to Counter 13 with the documents and wait for further instructions from the clerk.  A fee of PHP150 for late filing must be paid at the cashier.  You will also be informed when you may expect for the child’s birth certificate to be released for endorsement to the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) office.

Once certified by the PSA, you may request for a copy at any PSA branch.  Succeeding requests may already be done online via www.psahelpline.ph or by calling 02-737-1111 and have the birth certificate delivered to you.

Source: http://quezoncity.gov.ph/index.php/qc-services/requirements-a-procedures/261-civilregguide

Other related articles:

  1. How to File for Late Registration of Birth Certificate at the Manila City Hall
  2. Problems with NSO Birth Certificate: Delayed Registration of Birth

Chips And Nibblers (1)

Closet Queen



No BC_Illegitimate_No Mother

Alona is an illegitimate child, born to parents who were barely out of their teens.  Her mother gave her up for adoption when she was just a few days old, in exchange for a plane ticket from Manila to Iloilo.  She was never heard of from again.  Upon learning that his daughter was given to a complete stranger, Dexter (Alona’s father) requested for assistance from the barangay so he can take his daughter back.  After negotiating with the family who paid for Alona’s adoption, Dexter was finally able to take his daughter home and promised to do everything he can to raise her on his own.

Father and daughter sailed from Manila to Dumaguete and there, Alona grew up in her grandparents’ farm house while Dexter continued his studies in Cebu.

Alona is all grown up now and would like to apply for a passport so she can work abroad.  Her only problem is that she does not have a birth certificate and is clueless on how to get one.  Her father, Dexter, told her that she was born in Manila but since they have both migrated to Dumaguete, he is not sure if Alona’s birth can be registered in Dumaguete.

She has three problems:

  1. Alona does not have a birth certificate.
  2. She has not heard from her mother ever since she was born and in spite of several attempts to get in touch with her mother, all her efforts returned futile.
  3. She no longer lives in the city where she was born.

According to the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) website (www.psa.gov.ph) , cases such as this can be worked out by filing for an Out-of-town (because she no longer lives in the city where she was born), Delayed Reporting of Birth.

The requirements for delayed registration of birth are in this previous article we posted last month.  Once Alona has these documents on hand, she can present these to the civil registrar of the LCRO of Dumaguete who shall then forward the documents to the Manila City Hall for proper registration.

Since Alona is an illegitimate child and born on September 21, 1990, there is the issue on her last name and her parents’ acknowledgment of her birth.  Only her father is present, and essentially, willing to acknowledge her as his child.

According to the PSA, if the child’s birth certificate is not yet registered and the father acknowledges his paternity over the child, the child can use the father’s last name following the procedures for R.A. 9255.

Since Dexter wanted for Alona to use his last name on her birth certificate, they need to include these documents when filing for Alona’s registration of birth:

  1. Affidavit to Use Surname of Father (AUSF)
  2. Consent of the child, if 18 years old and over at the time of the filing of the document (this applies to Alona).
  3. Any two of the following documents showing clearly the paternity between the father and the child:
    • Employment records
    • SSS / GSIS records
    • Insurance
    • Certificate of membership in any organization
    • Statement of Assets and Liabilities
    • Income Tax Return (ITR)






Delayed Registration of Birth

In a previous article, we tackled the issue of some Pinoys not having birth records with the Philippine Statistics Authority or PSA (formerly National Statistics Office or NSO).  In most cases, the owner of the certificate need to consult with the LCR where his birth was supposedly registered and check if the LCR has a copy of his registration.  The copy is then endorsed to the PSA for proper certification so that  the owner can get his birth certificate in PSA’s Security Paper.

But what if your birth was not registered at all?  If you were born in 1949 and earlier years, there is also a chance that the PSA does not have a record of your birth.

How does one acquire a birth certificate years after he was born?

According to the website of the PSA, a vital event reported beyond the reglementary period is considered delayed.  The birth of a child must be reported to the LCR office of the child’s birthplace, not less than 30 days after birth.  Any registration made beyond the reglementary period shall be considered delayed and necessary justification shall be required.

Here are the requirements for delayed registration of birth; these shall be submitted at the LCR office of the city or municipality where the person was registered.  Additional documents shall be required in case the requesting party is not the mother of the child:

a). Four (4) copies of the Certificate of Live Birth duly accomplished and signed by the proper parties;

b). Accomplished Affidavit for Delayed Registration at the back of the Certificate of Live Birth by the father, mother, or guardian, declaring therein, among other things, the following:

  • Name of child
  • Date and place of birth
  • Name of the father if the child is illegitimate and has been acknowledged by him
  • If legitimate, the date and place of marriage of parents
  • Reason for not registering the birth within thirty (30) days after the date of birth.
  • If the person being registered is 18 years old and above and is already married, he needs to submit a copy of his Certificate of Marriage as well.

You may inquire at the LCR how soon the birth certificate can be made available at the PSA.  Feel free to ask as well how your application for delayed registration of birth will be processed; the LCR will be glad to explain this to you.

Source: https://psa.gov.ph/content/processes-delayed-registration-vital-events


%d bloggers like this: