Tag Archive: Blurred or Misspelled First Name

05 - 15

Aling Nelia is a housewife and a mother of five children.  On her 57th birthday, her kids pooled their resources and surprised her with a round-trip ticket to Hong Kong as it has always been her ardent dream to see the place.

She began working on the required documents while waiting for her passport application appointment at the DFA.  However, when she got hold of her PSA birth certificate, she realized that her name is misspelled on the document.  Her real name, and the name that she has used all her life, is Cornelia Pineda Mangosing, while the name written in her birth certificate is Cornelio Pineda Mangosing.

At first glance, it looked like all Aling Nelia had to do was file a petition for correction of a clerical error on her birth certificate.  After all, it was just one letter – “o” in Cornelio should be changed to “a” to make it Cornelia.  However, when she sought assistance from the Local Civil Registry, she was informed that it is not as simple as it seemed.

What is the difference between correction of clerical error and change of name?

A lot, actually.

Correction of clerical error is covered by R.A. 9048 where an error in a birth certificate is corrected without the need to file a case in court, hire a lawyer, and attend hearings.  The corrections are applied by the LCR where the birth was registered.  RA 9048 may be applied if the error or errors are clearly typhographical in nature – harmless and innocuous.  An evidence of which is that the name, in its erroneous form, sounds ridiculous and tainted with dishonor.

On the other hand, a name that was supposedly misspelled but is still acceptable as a name, may not always be considered misspelled and therefore, may not be covered by the provisions of RA 9048.  Correcting such kinds of entries in a birth certificate follows a different process.

Cornelio vs. Cornelia

Aling Nelia’s name, as far as she is concerned, is misspelled.  Her name is Cornelia, not Cornelio.  Her argument is valid and she has all the documents to prove her claim.  However, the supposed misspelled name, Cornelio, is in itself, a name!  Changing the last letter to make it Cornelia would mean just that – changing the name – not merely correcting the spelling.

What should be done then?

Aling Nelia may resort to have the correction applied through a judicial proceeding.  She needs to file a verified petition in the Regional Trial Court of her birth place or where the LCR is located.  The rest of the procedures she needs to follow are outlined in Rule 108 of the Rules of Court in order to apply the necessary “correction”.  This may be better explained to her by a lawyer.

It may seem strange to have to go through a rather complicated process when all Aling Nelia wanted was to set her records straight and align the name on her birth certificate with the name that she had been using all her life.  At this point, she actually has two options: she could have her name changed through a court proceeding, or simply adopt “Cornelio” being the registered name and drop “Cornelia”.  The latter, of course, would be a ridiculous choice.

This is another reminder for all of us to always be careful when accomplishing public documents such as Certificates of Live Birth, Marriage Certificates, and Death Certificates.  An honest mistake may lead to a string of complications that may affect important transactions such as passport applications and benefit claims.

If you have questions regarding your birth certificate or think that there might be an error you need to rectify, proceed to the LCR office where your birth was registered.  You may also drop us a line and we will do our best to find the most accurate answers for you.

Source: www.psa.gov.ph

Chips And Nibblers (1)

Closet Queen




09 - 05

The last installment of our Manila City Hall series is about unreadable entries on civil registry documents and how the copies can be restored.  If your birth certificate could not be read because the prints have faded over time, it may not be honored as an authentic civil registry document.  Here is how you can have it reconstructed.

Reconstruction as per Registry Book

  1. Bring the certificate as per Registry Book.
  2. Old copy of birth certificate to be reconstructed (local or PSA copy).
  3. ID of document owner and requesting party (if reconstruction is requested by a representative only).
  4. Pay the fee of Php 240.00 and submit requirements to Ms Cecilia Amorin at Room 117-A.

Requirements as per Reconstruction as per Index Book

  1. Bring certificate as per Index Book.
  2. Old copy of birth certificate to be reconstructed (local or PSA copy).
  3. Birth certificate of brother or sister or Marriage Contract of the registrant.
  4. ID of document owner and requesting party (if reconstruction is requested by a representative only).
  5. Pay the fee of Php 240.00 and submit requirements to Ms. Cecilia Amorin at Room 117-A.

The first copy of your reconstructed birth certificate may be secured at any PSA branch nationwide.  Succeeding requests for copies of the reconstructed PSA birth certificate may be done by calling (02) 737-1111 or by ordering online at http://www.psahelpline.ph.

Source: http://manila.gov.ph/services/civil-registry/



Manila City Hall_11

A misspelled first name on your birth certificate can be detrimental to important transactions like applying for a passport or claiming an inheritance.  If you have a couple of letters missing or added to your first name, have it corrected as soon as you can.

Here are the list of requirements and steps to follow when filing a petition for correction of a misspelled first name for single individuals (not married):


  1. 2 copies of PSA birth certificate (formerly NSO) to be corrected.
  2. 2 copies of baptismal certificate.
  3. 2 copies of school records (Elementary and High School either F-137/138 or Certification or College (Transcript of Records).
  4. 2 certified copies of voter’s registration record/voter’s affidavit (COMELEC).
  5. 2 latest original NBI Clearance (purpose: For Change of Name)
  6. 2 latest original PNP Clearance (purpose: For Change of Name)
  7. 2 copies of valid IDs of the petitioner and the document owner and 1 copy of latest community tax certificate from the place of work or residence.
  8. Other documents which the Office may consider relevant and necessary for the approval of the Petition (GSIS/SSS Records, school diploma, medical records, business records, school records, service records, insurance, certificate of land title, passbook, etc.)
  9. SPA (Special Power of Attorney), if the petitioner is not the document owner (ex. auntie, uncle, godparents, client, friend, colleague, etc.)

Reminders and Fees:

  1. All civil documents (birth, marriage, and death) to be submitted should be the latest certified local copy when issued in Manila.  If issued outside Manila, present the PSA birth certificate (on PSA Security Paper).
  2. Submit all requirements to R.A. 9048 receiving table for assessment and initial interview.  Please bring all original documents and IDs and proceed to Table 1.
  3. Proceed to the Computer Table for the preparation of Petition Paper.
  4. Line up for the final interview.  The city hall follows a first-come, first-served policy for interviews.
  5. Proceed to Room 214 (City Legal’s Office) to have the petition notarized.
  6. Pay the following fees at the Tax Payer’s Lounge:
    • Registration Fee – P1,000
    • True Copy Fee – P230
    • Transmittal Fee – P210
  7. Receiving and filing of petition paper and all documents.  You may also secure a schedule for follow-ups at Table 3.

The City Hall of Manila does not conduct interviews during Fridays.

Source: http://manila.gov.ph/services/civil-registry/


Manila City Hall_2

Any discrepancy on your first name on your birth certificate is sure to cause problems and delays on your transactions later on.  It is your responsibility to have this corrected to avoid issues with your records and other IDs such as your driver’s license and passport.

The Manila City Hall has released a clear, step-by-step process for citizens who need to have their first names corrected.  Included as well is the list of documentary requirements that applicants need to have on hand for this particular transaction.

Here is the second part in this 16-part series on Civil Registry procedures at the Manila City Hall:


(a). 2 latest certified/local copies and 2 latest PSA (formerly NSO) copies of birth certificate to be corrected.

(b). 2 latest certified copy of PSA (formerly NSO) marriage contract of the document owner.

(c). 2 latest certified copies of PSA (formerly NSO) birth certificate of at least 2 children of the document owner.

(d). 2 copies of baptismal certificate.

(e). 2 copies of school records, (Elementary and High School either F-137/138 or Certification) or College (TOR)

(f). 2 certified copies of voter’s registration record/voters affidavit. (COMELEC)

(g). 2 latest original NBI Clearance. (PURPOSE: FOR CORRECTION OF FIRST NAME)

(h). 2 latest original PNP Clearance. (PURPOSE: FOR CORRECTION OF FIRST NAME)

(i). 2 copies of valid ID of the petitioner and the document owner and 1 copy of latest community tax certificate from the place of work or residence.

(j). Other documents which the Office may consider relevant and necessary for the approval of the Petition.

(GSIS/SSS Record, Diploma (Grade School, High School, or College/Vocational), Medical Record, Business Record, Service Record, Insurance, Certificate of Land Title, Passbook etc.

(k). SPA (Special Power of Attorney), If the petitioner is abroad, or sick, he/she can be represented by lawyer or his/her nearest relative (up to third degree of consanguinity).


(a). All civil documents (Birth, Marriage and Death) to be submitted should be the latest certified local copy or Security paper from PSA (formerly NSO).

(b). After the compliance of the requirements, please proceed to the information counter and get a number for the Pre-interview and bring the original copies of the supporting documents (Personal Records).

Please be reminded that only the applicants with complete set of requirements will be entertained for pre-interview.

(c). Steps to follow will be provided after the Final Interview.

(d). Processing period of the petition is four (4) months and will commence on the date the petition is received by the Office.

(e). Payments are as follows:

  • Registration Fee (P 1,000.00)
  • Certified Xerox Copy (P230.00)
  • Transmittal Fee (P 210.00)
  • Additional Payment of 30.00 (Document with supplemental report.)

Please be reminded that the City Hall does not conduct interviews during Fridays.

Source: http://manila.gov.ph/services/civil-registry/


Misspelled Name of Bride or Groom

A marriage certificate is a vital civil registry document that attests to the union of a man and a woman. That is why it is important that the information written on the certificate are all accurate.

So what happens when you miss an entry or misspell a name in a marriage certificate?  Can these be corrected like how you correct an erroneous entry in a birth certificate?

Larps (short for Pilar) is a military nurse at a government hospital.  She plans to migrate to the U.S. as soon as she is granted a working visa.  When she met Steve, a U.S. Navy officer, they fell in love and decided to get married through civil rites in Quezon City.  After honeymooning in Boracay, Steve left for the U.S. and promised Larps that he will work on her petition papers as soon as he lands.

She began working on her documents, foremost of which is getting her passport renewed.  Steve reminded her to make sure she uses her married name on her passport from Maria Pilar T. Sorosa  to her married name of Maria Pilar S. Winters.

Larps requested for a copy of her PSA birth certificate and PSA marriage certificate as these were part of the documentary requirements for her passport renewal.  When she received the documents, she realized that the name appearing on her marriage certificate is slightly different from the name written on her birth certificate.

On her birth certificate, her name is written as Maria Pilar while on her marriage certificate, it is written as Ma. Pilar.  Right away, she knew this was going to be a concern especially since she will be presenting these documents at the U.S. Embassy.

How does a person have the information on her PSA marriage certificate corrected for errors?

These types of errors are covered by R.A. 9048 or the Clerical Error Law.  This law authorizes the LCR offices to apply corrections on birth and marriage certificate errors that are obviously due to typographical oversights.

Larps need only to file a petition for the correction of her name’s spelling on her marriage certificate, through R.A. 9048.  She needs to have it “corrected” so that her full name, Maria Pilar, as it is written on her birth certificate, appears on her marriage certificate.  Since they got married in Quezon City, she has to file the petition at the city hall of Quezon City.

Based on the Philippine Statistics Authority’s (PSA) website, the filing fee for such corrections is P1,000, while the wait time to get the corrected copy shall be determined by the LCR.

It is better to address these corrections at the onset than wait until you are almost done with the filing process before you act on it.  Simple clerical errors can now be handled by the LCR and the sooner you file for correction, the sooner you can get on with your transactions.

Source: http://www.census.gov.ph/civilregistration/problems-and-solutions/wrong-spelling-name-bride-andor-groom



First or Last Name is Blurry or Misspelled

If your first or last names in your NSO Birth Certificate (now PSA Birth Certificate) are blurry or misspelled, its authenticity might be questioned by the office or agency to whom you are submitting it.  This may cause delays and even denials of transactions you are working on and you know how inconvenient that can get.

Here is what you can do to get a clearer copy of your birth certificate or have the misspelled entries corrected.

a. You can request the civil registrar to endorse a copy of the birth certificate that has clearer prints of the first, middle, or last name.  Endorsement shall be made to the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA).

b. In cases when copies from both the PSA and the civil registry bear blurry prints of the name, a petition to have the entries corrected must be filed.  The petition is considered as correction of clerical error and will be made under the provisions of R.A. 9048.

c. Any of the following personalities may file the above petition:

  • The owner of the document or any authorized representative.
  • PSA
  • Owner of the Record
  • Owner’s spouse
  • Children
  • Parents
  • Brothers or sisters
  • Grandparents
  • Guardian
  • Other person duly authorized by law or by the owner of the document sought to be corrected;
  • In case the owner is a minor, physically or mentally incapacitated, the following may file the petition on his behalf:
    • Spouse
    • Any of his children
    • Siblings
    • Grandparents
    • Guardians
    • Persons duly authorized by law

d. The petition may be filed at the Civil Registry office where the owner’s birth was registered; however, if born abroad, the petition must be filed at the Philippine Consulate Office where the birth was reported.

e. Take note of the following supporting documents that need to be attached to the petition:

  • Certified machine copy of the birth record containing the entry to be corrected;
  • Not less than two (2) private or public documents where correction shall be based such as:
    • Baptismal certificate
    • Voter’s affidavit
    • Employment record
    • GSIS/SSS records
    • Medical records or Business records
    • Driver’s License
    • Insurance and or Bank Passbook
    • Land Titles and or Certificate of Land Transfer
    • NBI, Police Clearance
    • Civil registry records of ascendants
  • Notice / Certificate of Posting
  • Filing fee of P1,000.00 if the petition was filed in the Philippines.  USD 50 or equivalent value in local currency if the petition was filed abroad.

Source: https://psa.gov.ph/civilregistration/problems-and-solutions/blurred

%d bloggers like this: