Tag Archive: BIR

8 Aug 20

Most of us, if not all of us, acquired our Tax Identification Number (TIN) when we landed our first job… and yes, while we were still single.  But how does a taxpayer, especially women, update her civil status with the BIR after he or she is married?

I don’t think there is a way to update your records as a taxpayer online, unlike SSS and maybe PhilHealth.  You will have to manually fill out and submit some documents in order for your marital status to be updated (and your taxes appropriated).

Here are the steps:

  1. Download and print a copy of BIR Form 2305  for employed taxpayers and BIR Form 1905 for self-employed taxpayers.
  2. Fill out the form except for Part V, as this part is for your employer.
  3. Prepare a copy of your PSA marriage certificate to support your request for change of marital status.
  4. In Part II of the forms, check the letter “K” and write “Update Status and Registered Name to Married Name” in the blank box.
  5. On the second page (or backside of the form), check “Registered Name” in 4G.
  6. Write your married name under “New” and your maiden name under “Old”.
  7. Attach a copy of your PSA marriage certificate and submit the accomplished form to the BIR branch office or Revenue District office where your TIN is currently registered. If you are employed, submit the accomplished form to your employer.

If you are unsure which Revenue District Office or BIR branch office you are registered, you may call 981-8888.

You can have your PSA marriage certificate delivered to you by PSAHelpline.ph.  Just log on to http://www.psahelpline.ph or message them on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/PSAHelpline.ph/ where you can actually order through chat!  Try it! This is where I always get my PSA documents.


Reference: www.bir.gov.ph


4 Apr 4

A Tax Identification Number (TIN) is assigned to an individual who will soon be paying taxes, either as an employed or self-employed income-earner.  However, a lot of people are wondering if, as an unemployed individual, they too could apply for their TIN.

The answer is yes.

Under Executive Order 98 (E.O. 98), persons transacting with government offices may be issued a TIN should this be required of them.  Common examples of government agencies that require TIN are LTO, NBI, and DFA.  The person requesting for the TIN may or may not be employed, self-employed, or a licensed professional; he or she could be unemployed and still be given a TIN if the reason for application falls under the provisions of E.O. 98.

How to get a TIN if you are unemployed:

  1. Secure and fill out the BIR Form 1904. Make two copies – submit one copy to the BIR and have the other copy stamped received; keep this as your copy.
  2. Attach a copy of your PSA Birth Certificate or any document that bears your name, address, and birthdate.
  3. Submit the accomplished form and attachments to the RDO that has jurisdiction over the applicant’s residence.
  4. The BIR will advise you when you can come back to claim your TIN card.

Note: The BIR will check to confirm that you have not been issued a TIN in the past.  Remember that it is unlawful to be assigned two TINs – this is considered a criminal offense and is punishable pursuant to the National Internal Revenue Code of 1997.

Tomorrow we shall feature the steps you need to follow if you lose your TIN ID.

If you have questions about your TIN or tax payments, you may visit the website of the BIR at www.bir.gov.ph





This blog is sponsored by PSAHelpline.ph.

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/PSAHelpline.ph/

Place your PSA birth certificate orders online at http://www.PSAHelpline.ph or through our FB Chat Messenger at @PSAHelpline.ph

4 Apr 3

If you still do not have a Tax Identification Number, it’s high time you get one.  Every Filipino, whether employed or self-employed, must have a TIN.  Your TIN ID is a valid, government-issued ID that will never expire.

It has become easier to apply for a TIN ID card from the BIR because now, you can process it online!  Here are the guidelines, requirements, and steps on how to get a BIR TIN ID.


  • PSA Birth Certificate of applicant
  • One valid ID (especially if you already have an existing TIN but want to get the digitized ID card)


  • Bring the above requirements to the nearest BIR office in your area.
  • Fill out the TIN application form.
  • Submit your requirements and the duly filled out TIN application form to the counter and wait for your TIN.
  • After you have been issued a TIN, request to have a TIN ID Card.
  • You can get the ID on the same day as it can be processed in one hour.  However, during peak tax seasons, you might be requested to return the following day to claim your card.

 How to get a TIN ID Online?

Here is the best part!  You may now get a TIN online using the BIR eReg facility.  Here’s how:

  1. Log on to https://ereg.bir.gov.ph or efps.bir.gov.ph
  2. Prepare a valid email address that you can access as this will be required in the registration process.  This is where the BIR will send your TIN registration status and confirmation. tin_number_using_bir_ereg
  3. In the BIR eReg page, key in the details required by the online form as shown above.  Double-check to make sure that all information are accurate.
  4. When all details are confirmed, click on SUBMIT.
  5. The BIR will send you an email regarding the issuance of your TIN.  Make sure to check your email regularly.  If you cannot find the mail in your Inbox, try checking your Spam folder too.

Take Note! You may apply for a Tax Identification Number online only if you have NEVER registered a TIN before.  It is unlawful to have more than one TIN.  Do not do this if you have been issued a TIN before.

Tomorrow we will teach you how to get a replacement for your lost or damaged TIN ID card and how to get a TIN if you are unemployed.

If you have questions about your TIN or tax payments, you may log on to the BIR website at www.bir.gov.ph






This blog is sponsored by PSAHelpline.ph.

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/PSAHelpline.ph/

Place your PSA birth certificate orders online at http://www.PSAHelpline.ph or through our FB Chat Messenger at @PSAHelpline.ph

Jan 09 (1)

In almost all of your transactions, whether with a government agency or a private corporation like banks, schools, and remittance centers, you will always be required to present a government-issued ID.  It doesn’t matter if you have a company ID, a school ID, or membership cards, agencies will always require you to present a government-issued ID.

When applying for a passport, you will be required to present at least one of the following:

  • Digitized SSS ID
  • Driver’s License
  • GSIS E-Card
  • PRC ID
  • IBP ID
  • Digitized BIR ID
  • Senior Citizen’s ID
  • Voter’s ID
  • Seaman’s Book

Today’s article will focus on the different types of government-issued IDs and certificates and how you can apply for each.  We hope this helps you complete your collection of government-issued IDs.


A Community Tax Certificate (CTC), also known as Cedula, is issued to every individual or corporation upon payment of the community tax.  Every Filipino who is at least 18 years old and has been regularly employed for at least 30 consecutive working days must have his own cedula.  Business owners, real property owners, and all others who may be required by law must also apply for a cedula.

How to get a Cedula:

  1. Go to your local government office (barangay, municipal, or city hall) where CTCs are issued.
  2. Fill out the application slip, submit, and pay the required amount.  The fee will depend on how much salary you are going to declare on the application slip.  Wait for the issuing officer to give you your CTC.
  3. Sign and affix your thumbprint on the spaces provided on the CTC.
  4. The Cedula is valid until the last day of the year when it was acquired.

Barangay Clearance

The Barangay Clearance is a prerequisite for a Postal ID or a Mayor’s Permit; it is something that both private employees and business people need to have.  It is also a basic requirement when applying for affidavits and other legal transactions.  Basically, it attests to your good standing as a resident or business owner in a specific barangay.

How to get a Barangay Clearance:

  1. Proceed to your designated Barangay Hall and inform the officer on duty that you would like to apply for a Barangay Clearance. Fill out the application form and pay the necessary fees (fees vary per barangay).
  2. Present your cedula; if you do not have one yet, you may also secure this from the barangay hall.
  3. Wait for your clearance to be released (if no negative records are found under your name).

Postal ID

Phlpost has upgraded the physical appearance of the postal ID.  You need to get one as an additional government-issued ID.  Here are the requirements and procedures:

  1. Proceed to the Post Office in your area and submit two copies of duly accomplished PID application form.
  2. Submit your PSA birth certificate or GSIS or UMID Card, or Driver’s License, or valid Passport.
  3. If you are a married female applicant, bring a copy of your PSA Marriage Certificate to validate change of name from birth documents.
  4. Pay the fixed fee of Php 504.00.
  5. You will be instructed to proceed to the nearest ID capture station for your photo and fingerprints.  There are 260 ID capture stations nationwide.
  6. Expect to receive your ID after approximately 15 working days if your delivery address is in Metro Manila, 20 working days if you live in other major cities and municipalities, and 30 working days if you live in island provinces and remote barangays.

NBI Clearance

You may now apply for an NBI clearance online!  Here’s how:

  1. Register and create your account online at nbi-clearance.com.  There will be a guided process, just follow this.
  2. Make sure to have a working and accessible email address; use this when registering at the NBI website and wait for the confirmation email to be sent to you. You need to confirm your registration through the email in order for your account to activate.
  3. Login to your NBI account using the username and password you registered. Fill out the online application form and submit.
  4. Schedule an appointment at your preferred NBI Clearance Outlet.  Select the date when you wish to process your NBI clearance.
  5. Fee for NBI Clearance is P115 but e-payment services charge an additional P25, so your NBI Clearance fee total will be P140.  You may pay online, or over the counter at accredited banks, through GCash, or at any Bayad Center.  Note that until you have made a payment, your appointment is not confirmed.
  6. Print your NBI clearance application form and wait for the date of your appointment.  Bring your printed form when you visit the NBI outlet.

Unified Multi-purpose ID

Considered as the “Mother” of all IDs because it can cover your SSS, GSIS, PagIBIG, and PhilHealth transactions through a contact less smartchip technology.  It stores the member’s SSS information and biometrics data such as fingerprints, facial image, and signature.

  1. Visit the nearest SSS branch that has UMID enrollment/ID capture facility.  Fill out the UMID Card application form.
  2. Bring one of the primary valid IDs (passport, driver’s license, Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) Card, Seaman’s Book).  If you do not have any of these, bring two of your secondary identification cards/documents.
  3. Proceed to the ID capture booth, fingerprint scanning, and electronic signature process.
  4. Wait for your UMID to be delivered to your address.


This is required before you even begin working; all legitimate companies will require your Tax Identification Number (TIN) to ensure that your taxes are remitted to the government properly.

  1. Proceed to the nearest BIR branch in your area.  Note that it would be best that you apply at the BIR in the same city or municipality where you are working.
  2. Bring a copy of your PSA birth certificate and 1×1 photo of yourself.
  3. The BIR TIN ID has a lifetime validity and is free of charge.  Some RDOs may be able to give you your ID on the same day while others may require you to come back after a day.

PRC ID (Professional Regulations Commission)

This is exclusive to individuals who took and passed professional licensure examinations such as Certified Public Accountants, Architects, Engineers, Lawyers, Physicians, Dentists, etc.

  1. Accomplish the Action Sheet – this may be downloaded from the PRC website.
  2. Pay for the metered documentary stamps at the CSC (Customer Service Counter).  Please make sure that your photo and photocopies of documents have metered documentary stamps.
  3. Pay the prescribed fees at the Cashier (Php 450).
  4. Present duly accomplished AS together with documents and receive your claim slip at Window 16, Window 18, and Window 30.
  5. Claim your documents as scheduled.  Please refer to your claim slip for further instructions.

Your PRC ID is valid for three years and can be renewed thereafter.

If you are thinking about applying for a Philippine passport, it may be best that you work on getting at least three government-issued IDs first.

For questions about the different IDs and clearances we featured, send us a message and we will do our best to find the best answers for you.

Reference: http://www.gov.ph

Chips And Nibblers (1)

Closet Queen




My balikbayan aunt, who owns two Senior Citizen IDs (one issued in the U.S. and another issued by the OSCA at the Quezon City Hall), had a puzzling experience at a fast food chain last week.  She saw the ad on specialty burgers being sold at half the price as a promotional offering of the decades-old burger chain and decided to buy some for takeout.  After placing her order, she presented her QC Senior Citizen ID and started counting her bills, already having computed the total amount she needs to pay: the discounted price less her Senior Citizen discount.  After the cashier rang up her purchase, she was surprised to find that the only discount applied on her purchase was the advertised 50% off of the selling price.  When she inquired how come her Senior Citizen discount was not applied, the cashier replied: “Naka promo na po yung burgers.”

My aunt reviewed her receipt one more time and realized that even the 12% VAT exemption (which all Senior Citizens are entitled to) is not applied as well.  The cashier stood her ground and insisted that since the products that my aunt bought were already on promo price, any other discounts are no longer applicable – including the VAT exemption of Senior Citizens.

Unfazed by her experience, my aunt had me scour all available documents online that will shed light on these questions that most Senior Citizens probably want to ask:

a. If a product or service is on promo, does it automatically mean that the 20% SC discount is no longer applicable?

b. In cases when the 20% SC discount is in fact, waived, because the service or product being sold is at a discounted price, should the 12% VAT exemption be waived as well?

Before we go further into this discussion, allow me to present the correct and detailed computation of for Senior Citizen’s discount.  For purposes of computation, let us assume the product’s amount is Php 100.00.

1.Determine the VAT amount:


Amount of VAT = (Selling Price x 12%) / 1.12

Amount of VAT = (Php 100 x 12%) / 1.12

Amount of VAT = (12) / 1.12

Amount of VAT = Php 10.71

2. Deduct the VAT amount from the selling price to get the Sales Net of VAT:


Sales Net of VAT = Selling Price – Amopunt of VAT

Sales Net of VAT = Php 100 – Php 10.71

Sales Net of VAT = Php 89.29

3. Determine the discount to be applied:


Amount of Discount = Sales Net of VAT x 20%

Amount of Discount = Php 89.29 x 20%

Amount of Discount = Php 17.86

4. Determine the amount to be paid by the Senior Citizen


Amount to be paid by the SC = Sales Net of VAT – Amount of Discount

Amount to be paid by the SC = Php 89.29 – Php 17.86

Amount to be paid by the SC = Php 71.43

Given the above computation, Senior Citizen discounts are composed of two major considerations: the VAT exempted amount and the amount after the Senior Citizen discount has been applied.  And that in order to arrive at the latter, one would have to have already determined how much the item should be priced AFTER the VAT has been removed.

If the purchased goods or services are on promotional discount, can the Senior Citizen still avail of the 20% discount?

According to the BIR (and based on Memorandum Circular No. 38-2012), the answer is No.

In the purchase of goods and services which are on promotional discount, the Senior Citizen shall avail of either the promotional discount or the 20% discount, whichever is higher.  However, the discount that must be given to the Senior Citizen shall in no case be less than 20%. (Section 5 of RR No. 7-2010).

If the Senior Citizen used his privilege card or purchased an item that is on promotional discount which is higher than the 20% SC discount, is the sale exempt from VAT?

Again, based on Memorandum Circular No. 38-2012, the answer is Yes.

The sale of goods and services on promotional discount is still exempt from VAT.  (Section 10 of RR No. 7-2010).

So the answer is, my aunt, being a Senior Citizen, is entitled to a VAT exempted sale regardless if the items or services she purchased were on regular price or at discounted rates.

Tomorrow, we shall feature the different policies covered by the Expanded Senior Citizens Act of 2010.  Meantime, share this to your friends and families so everyone would be informed.  I am certainly sharing this with my aunt.

Source: www.bir.gov.ph

Chips And Nibblers (1)

Closet Queen




A common requirement when travelling abroad are DFA-authenticated IDs and documents.  Whether you are traveling as a tourist, an overseas worker, or an exchange student, you will be required to have certain supporting documents “red-ribboned” by the Department of Foreign Affairs.

Here is a summary of the processes and requirements involved when having your documents authenticated.  Certain agencies handle the submission of the documents for authentication to the DFA.  For easier reference, we separated the documents that need to be hand-carried by the applicant to the DFA and those that will be handled by the agency.

General Procedure:

Step 1: Fill out an application form.

Step 2: Present a valid ID upon submission of the documents to the Processing Window.

Step 3: Pay appropriate Authentication Fees:

a. Php 100 / document (4 days processing)

b. Php 200 / document (1 day processing)

Step 4: Return the Duplicate copy of the receipt to the Processing Window.

Step 5: Claim the Authenticated document on the release date; simply present the machine-validated receipt at the releasing window.

Requirements for Authentication of Documents: APPLICANTS TO HAND-CARRY THESE DOCUMENTS TO THE DFA

  1. Birth / Marriage / Death Certificate and Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR).
    • Certificates must be in Security Paper issued by the PSA or must have been certified / authenticated by the PSA.
    • Local Civl Regsitrar (LCR) copy of Marriage Certificate, Birth Certificate, or Death Certificate may be required in cases when entries on the PSA copy are unreadable.
  2. Transcript of Records (TOR) and Diploma (For State Colleges and Universities)
    • Certified True Copies from the school
    • Secure Certificate of Authentication and Verification (CAV) from the school signed by the School/University Registrar.
  3. Form 137 and Diploma (High School and Elementary Level)
    • Certified True Copies from the school
    • School Principal’s Certification
    • Division Superintendent’s endorsement to Dep-Ed Regional Office
    • Certification (CAV) from Dep-Ed Regional Office
  4. Certificate of Employment / Trainings / Seminars, Baptismal Certificate and other documents issued by a private entity.
    • Applicant must first secure an affidavit, stating necessary factual circumstances and indicating certificates as annex or attachment.
    • Affidavit must be notarized.
    • Applicant must secure Certificate of Authority for a Notarial Act (CANA) signed by the Executive Judge or Vice Executive Judge from the Regional Trial Court which issued the commission of the Notary Public. (Copy of Notarial Commission is not the same as Certificate of Authority for a Notarial Act).
  5. Other Notarized Documents (Special Powers of Attorney (SPA) / Affidavit of Consent / Invitation / Guarantee / MOA, etc.)
    • After document is notarized, applicant must secure Certificate of Authority for a Notarial Act (CANA) signed by the Executive Judge or Vice Executive Judge from the Regional Trial Court which issued the commission of the Notary Public.
  6. Court Decisions / Resolutions / Orders
    • Applicant must present certified true copies of the decision, resolution, or order.
    • Applicant must secure copy of specimen signature of the court personnel who signed the certified copies from the Office of Administrative Services (Supreme Court – located beside PGH).
    • Applicant may be required to submit annotated marriage certificate in cases regarding decision of finality of annulment.
  7. Immigration Records
    • Certified / Authenticated by the Bureau of Immigration (BI).
  8. DSWD Clearances
    • Travel Clearances for minors directly issued by the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD).
  9. NBI Clearances
    • NBI Clearances for travel abroad must be issued by the National Bureau of Investigation (Green).
  10. Police Clearances
    • Police Clearance signed by the Chief of Police issued by the Philippine National Police in various police stations nationwide, usually by the police precinct which has jurisdiction over the applicant’s place of residence or applicant may opt to secure police certification from Camp Crame.
  11. Barangay Clearances
    • Clearances issued by the barangay which has jurisdiction over the applicant’s place of residence and must have been authenticated by the office of the Mayor which has jurisdiction over the barangay.
  12. Export Documents
    • Must be authenticated by the Philippine Chamber of Commerce (PCCI), the Department of Health (DOH), Department of Agriculture (DA), or by the Bureau of Food and Drugs (BFAD), depending on the nature of the document
  13. Business Registration and Other Documents issued by a Government Agency (e.g. SEC, DTI, BIR, Municipal Business Permit and Licensing Office, etc.)
    • Secure certified true copy from the issuing office.
  14. Foreign Documents
    • A Philippine Embassy or Philippine Consulate General in the country from where the document originated or by the said country’s Embassy or Consulate General based in the Philippines must have authenticated these documents.


The applicant will be issued a claim stub which he needs to bring to the DFA when claiming his authenticated document.

  1. Transcript of Records (TOR) and Diploma (Collegiate Level)
    • Certified True Copies from the school.
    • Secure Certificate of Authentication and Verification (CAV) from the Commission on Higher Education (CHED).
  2. Transcript of Records (TOR) and Diploma (Technical or Vocational Courses)
    • Certified True Copies from the school
    • Secure Certificate of Authentication and Verification (CAV) from Technical Education and Skills Development Authority or TESDA.
  3. Medical / AIDS Free Certificate
    • Authenticated by the Department of Health (DOH) and applicable only for use to the following countries:
      • Spain
      • Palau
      • Libya
      • Oman
      • Cuba
      • Portugal
      • Greece
      • Cyprus
      • Angola
  4. Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) issued licenses.
    • Authenticated by CAAP
  5. Driver’s Licenses
    • Applicant must first secure certification from Land Transportation Office (LTO Main Branch only).
  6. Professional Licenses / Board Certificates / Board Ratings / Certifications
    • Certified True Copies must be authenticated by  Professional Regulations Commission (PRC).

All unclaimed authenticated documents will be disposed of by the DFA after three months so make sure to claim your documents on the date reflected on your claim stub.

Source: http://dfa.gov.ph/procedures

Chips And Nibblers (1)

Closet Queen




Now that the holiday season is fast approaching, most, if not all, employees are once again eagerly awaiting the release of abundant financial blessings from their respective companies and employers.  One of the most awaited windfall is the government-mandated 13th month pay to be released to all employees, regardless of their designation or employment status and have worked at least one month during the calendar year.

To help us better understand how the 13th month pay is computed, we lifted the following Q&A article from the Official Gazette of the Philippines along with some other bits and pieces of related materials.

Here is everything we need to know about our 13th month pay!

Q: What is 13th month pay?

A: The 13th month pay is a form of monetary benefit equivalent to the monthly basic compensation received by an employee, computed pro-rata according to the number of months within a year that the employee has rendered service to the employer.

Q: Who are required to pay the 13th month pay?

A: All establishments regardless of the number of employees are required to pay their rank-and-file employees the 13th month pay.

Q: Who are entitled to receive the 13th month pay?

A: All rank-and-file employees regardless of the nature of their employment, and irrespective of the methods by which they are paid, provided they worked for at least one month during the calendar year.

Q: How is the 13th month pay computed?

A: The 13th month pay is computed based on 1/12 of the total basic salary of an employee within a calendar year, or basic monthly salary for the whole year divided by 12 months.

Q: What are the components of “basic salary”?

A: Basic salary shall include all remunerations or earnings paid by an employer to an employee for services rendered, but does not include allowances and monetary benefits which are not considered, or integrated, as part of the regular, or basic, salary, such as the cash equivalent of unused vacation and sick leave credits, overtime, premium, night differential and holiday pay.  Basic salary includes cost-of-living allowances.

However, these salary-related benefits should be included as part of the basic salary in the computation of the 13th month pay if, by individual or collective agreement or company practice or policy, the same are treated as part of the basic salary of the employees.

Q: Are maternity leave benefits included in the computation of the 13th month pay?

A: No, maternity leave benefits are not included in the computation of the 13th month pay.

Q: When shall 13th month pay be paid?

A: 13th month pay should be paid not later than December 24 of each year.

Q: Are there employers who are exempted from paying the 13th month?

A: Yes.  The following employers are exempted from paying the 13th month under PD 851:

  1. Government and any of its political subdivision, including government-owned and controlled corporations, except those corporations operating essentially as private subsidiaries of the Government;
  2. Employers already paying their employees 13th month pay or more in a calendar year or its equivalent at the time of this issuance;
  3. Persons in the personal service of another in relation to such workers; and
  4. Employers who are paid on purely commission, boundary, or task basis, and those who are paid a fixed amount for performing a specific work, irrespective of the time consumed in the performance thereof, except where the workers are paid on piece-rate basis in which case the employer shall grant the required 13th month pay to such workers.

Most employees are curious as to how their 13th month pay is computed.  This is most common among employees who took extended leaves of absence during the year.  This is because the 13th month pay is also affected by the actual number of days you were present at work or are on paid leave.

To clarify this matter, here is how the 13th month pay is computed based on the employee’s attendance for the year:


The employee’s basic monthly salary is Php25,000 and she has perfect attendance for the entire year, this is how his 13th month pay is computed:

25,000 x 12 (months attendance) / 12 = Php25,000

However, if the said employee was on maternity leave for two months, the computation varies:

  • January 25,000
  • February 25,000
  • March 25,000
  • April 25,000
  • May 25,000
  • June – on maternity leave
  • July – on maternity leave
  • August 25,000
  • September 25,000
  • October 25,000
  • November 25,000
  • December 25,000

25,000 x 10 (months attendance) / 12 = Php20,833.33

Keep in mind too that as implemented under RA No. 10653, the 13th month pay for salaries amounting up to Php82,000 are exempted from tax.  However, this is the subject of an on-going tax reform discussion in the government, so stay tuned for further updates.

Have you received your 13th month pay yet?  Remember to keep your spending within the limits of your budget, reward yourself, and share some to those in need.  This is also the best time to jump start your savings account so you can begin planning for bigger investments like a home or a brand new vehicle.

Enjoy the holidays!



Q&A on 13th month pay

Republic Act No. 10653




Families are forever.  Until a property needs to be divided among the members, that is.

One of the most common problems Pinoy families go through is transferring a property title among the siblings after a parent, or both parents, die without finalizing the equal distribution of each child’s share.  The situation becomes a breeding ground for contempt and conflict among siblings and their respective spouses and families.

Read on:

  1. All the children of the deceased parents must enter into an agreement on how to distribute (if they intend to subdivide the property) or dispose (if they intend to simply liquidate the property based on its current market value) the property.  This must be done by executing a Deed of Extra-judicial Settlement of the Estate through the assistance of a lawyer.
  2. The said Deed of Extra-judicial Settlement of Estate must be published in a newspaper of general circulation in the city and province where the property is located.  The announcement must run at least once a week for three consecutive weeks.
  3. The parties involved must secure an Affidavit and Certification of the Publication in the newspaper and bring these documents to the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR).  The parties need to pay the estate tax at the BIR as well.
  4. The BIR shall facilitate the Certificate for Transfer of Title.  This certificate should then be submitted to the Land Registration Authority or in the Registry of Deeds.

Even siblings who are no longer interested in inheriting their share of the property are required to sign the extra-judicial settlement; otherwise, the settlement will not be processed and the land will remain under the name of their deceased parents.

If the children have migrated to foreign countries and have acquired foreign citizenship, they are still qualified to own real properties because they are intestate heirs of the deceased parents.  However, there will already be a limit on the land area that they can own, as follows:

  • A maximum of 1,000 square meters in urban centers
  • A maximum of 10,000 square meters in rural areas.

If the heirs possess dual citizenship (RA 9225), the above restrictions on land area ownership do not apply to them.

The children of deceased siblings have the right to inherit their deceased parent’s share of the property.  They must be included in the extra-judicial settlement documents as well.





3320 Job Opportunities

Good news to this year’s graduates and those seeking to be employed by the government!  Five key government agencies have just announced a total of 3,320 job vacancies, waiting to be filled in by young and deserving Filipinos.

Take your pick from among the following government offices and find out where your skills and competencies can be applied and maximized:

  1. Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) – 3,211 entry-level positions
  2. Department of Finance (DOF) – 41 positions
  3. Department of Budget and Management (DBM) – 31 positions
  4. Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) – 33 positions
  5. Department of Tourism (DOT) – 4 positions.

The vacancies were posted at Kalibrr.com, a popular job matching site that helps job seekers find opportunities that agree with their skills and experiences.  The job postings were in partnership with the Bagumbayani Initiative, a group of young civil servants promoting positive change and integrity in the government by encouraging young people into the civil service and marketing the opportunities as practical, viable, and purposeful career options.

Interested applicants may now view the different agencies’ Kalibrr accounts through the following links.  The job openings as well as its corresponding job descriptions, salary grades, and areas of assignment are likewise shown in the agency’s Kalibrr.com page.

  1. DOF – https://www.kalibrr.com/c/department-of-finance/jobs;
  2. BIR – https://www.kalibrr.com/c/bureau-of-internal-revenue/jobs
  3. DBM – https://www.kalibrr.com/c/department-of-budget-and-management/jobs
  4. DOTC – https://www.kalibrr.com/c/dotc-npmo/jobs; https://www.kalibrr.com/c/department-of-transportation-and-communications_ppp_implementation/jobs
  5. DOT – https://www.kalibrr.com/c/department-of-tourism/jobs

Get your resumes and other credentials ready!  This just might be the opportunity you have been waiting for.  Good luck on your application!

Source: http://www.dotc.gov.ph/index.php/2014-09-02-05-01-41/2014-09-03-06-43-32/128-dof-bir-dbm-dotc-dot-post-3-320-vacancies-online


TIN Lost or Damaged

Your BIR ID is a government-issued ID that is honored by all government offices and private establishments. If you do not have a driver’s license, the BIR ID is the next best thing to show when you are asked for an identification (or your passport, if you bring it with you all the time). The BIR ID is perpetually valid but if it gets dilapidated over time or in case you lose it, you need to have it replaced immediately to avoid delays in your transactions such as filing income tax returns, VAT returns, and the like.

Last week, I shared the process on how to get a Tax Identification Number. Today, I am going to share the process on how to get a replacement TIN Card in case yours get lost or worn out.

How to apply for a new TIN card:

  1. Secure a copy of BIR Form 1905 (Application for Registration Information Update); you may download this from the BIR website at www.bir.gov.ph.
  2. Fill out the form, making sure that all entries are accurate and legible. If you are getting a replacement for a Lost BIR TIN Card, you need to secure a duly notarized Affidavit of Loss and attach this to your application. If you are getting a replacement for a dilapidated card, attach the old TIN Card to your application.
  3. Submit the form, along with the corresponding attachments, to the BIR District Office where your TIN is currently registered.
  4. Pay the replacement fee of P100 at the cashier; hold on to your receipt.

Some BIR offices are able to release the replacement card on the same day while others process all replacement cards by bulk. If the BIR office where you are getting your replacement card follows the latter, make sure you are given a phone number and a contact person that you can call when you want to make a follow up on the availability of your card. Do not lose the receipt of your payment, you will use that when claiming your card.

When you get your card, attach an ID photo and have it laminated.

For information on how to apply for a Tax Identification Number, here is our previous post.

%d bloggers like this: