Category: DFA Passport and EPassport

New Requirements for Green Passport Renewal

Para sa lahat ng naka-schedule at nagbabalak pa lamang magpa renew ng kanilang Green o Machine Readable Passports, importanteng malaman na may bagong patakaran ang Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) sa prosesong ito.

Simula noong Lunes, June 6, 2016, lahat ng domestic applications para sa renewal ng nasabing Green o Machine Readable Passports (MRP) ay mangangailangan ng mga karagdagang IDs at documentary requirements:

  • Ang aktwal na MRP o Green booklet passport
  • PSA Birth Certificate
  • At least one (1) valid identification document.
  • Iba pang supporting documents (i.e. PSA Marriage Certificate kung married ang aplikante at ginagamit ang married name sa passport.)

Siguraduhing dala ninyo ang mga dokumentong ito sa araw ng inyong appointment para maiwasan ang delays sa inyong application for passport renewal.

Tandaan din na simula noong June 1, 2016, ang sino mang hindi sumipot sa araw at oras ng kanyang naktakdang appointment for passport application and renewal ay hindi mabibigyan ng pagkakataon na mag set ng panibagong appointment sa loob ng 30 araw.  Kaya’t markahan ang inyong mga kalendaryo ayon sa appointment na inyong hiniling online para maka-iwas sa abala.




Dedicated Passport Center for OFWs

Bilang pagpapahalaga at pagbibigay prayoridad sa ating mga kababayang OFW, ang Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) ay maglalagay ng dedicated passport application center para sa mga OFW sa consular office sa Robinson’s Galleria.  Ito ay malapit lamang sa opisina ng Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA).

Ang mga OFW ay hindi na kailangan pang mag set ng appointment para mag apply ng passport o magpa renew.  Bukas ang dedicated passport application center sa lahat ng mga OFW, kahit unang beses pa lamang niyang umalis o dati nang bumibiyahe para mag trabaho.

Habang hinihintay ang official launch ng nasabing passport application center, ang mga OFW ay patuloy na gagamit ng mga courtesy lanes sa mga DFA consular offices.

Isang paalala lamang sa mga OFW na naka schedule magpa renew ng kanilang passport:  Phased out na green-colored at machine-readable passports.  Kung ganito ang huling passport na gamit at ngayon ay ipapa-renew na, ituturing na New Application ang dapat sana’y renewal lamang.  Dahil dito, kailangang mag dala ng mga documentary requirements ang aplikante tulad ng PSA Birth Certificate at iba pang documents na naka lista sa DFA website.

I-share natin ang article na ito sa lahat n gating mga kamag-anak at kaibigan na nagpa-planong mangibang bansa para mag trabaho.



DFA Imposes 30

Setting an appointment with the DFA to apply for a new passport or have an old one renewed, is free of charge.  All you have to do is log on to the website, choose a DFA branch nearest you, and block off your preferred date and time for the passport application.  It is a convenient means to secure your slot with the DFA and save yourself from waiting in line like before.

The DFA receives an average of 15,000 passport applications daily.  Sadly though, only about 53% of the appointments are fulfilled while the rest simply do not show up.  Essentially, the dates and hours these “no-shows” blocked off are wasted when it could have accommodated other passport applicants.  Since there are no fees involved in setting an appointment, anybody can just block off a schedule and then simply ignore it later on.  If they fail to make it to their original appointment, they can easily set another one, no sweat.  As a result, hundreds of applicants are left with no choice but to wait for as long as two months to be accommodated by the agency.

To address this issue, the DFA announced that those who will fail to show up for their set appointments will be barred from re-applying for 30 days.  This move aims to discourage applicants from taking their appointments for granted and not waste the available slots on the website.

The policy takes effect on June 1, 2016.

Help spread the news to your families and friends.


Travel Clearance

Summer vacation is just around the corner. To kids, it’s the next best thing to Christmas because it means time off from school and home works. They can sleep in until mid-day, spend more time with friends, and of course, go on vacation with the family.

Taking the kids on an out-of-town trip is always exciting. Whether you’re going to visit Lolo and Lola in the province or are flying out to a nearby country to experience a different culture and see famous tourist spots, a family trip is the highlight of every kid’s summer vacation.

But what if taking your child on an out-of-the-country trip requires more than just a passport and plane tickets? Did you know that the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) requires certain documents in case children are going on an international flight with people other than his parents or legal guardians? Read more about these important travel documents required by the government for the protection of our children.

The DSWD Travel Clearance – Who Needs This and Why?

The DSWD requires a Travel Clearance for children (of minor age) who will be traveling out of the country on their own or with people other than his/her parents or legal guardians. This is the government’s straightforward means of protecting children from the possibilities of human trafficking.

The DSWD Travel Clearance vs. Parental Travel Permit

The Parental Travel Permit is issued by the DSWD to minors traveling abroad accompanied by only one parent or persons exercising parental authority. The parent who will not be going on the trip (for various reasons) must execute a duly notarized Parental Travel Permit as proof that he or she has given her consent for her spouse (father or mother of the child) to take their child on a trip outside the country. This too is in relation with the government’s efforts to discourage human trafficking as stipulated in Republic Act 7610 (also known as Special Protection of Children Against Child Abuse, Exploitation and Discrimination Act).

The DSWD Travel Clearance is needed in cases when the minor child is traveling on his own or with people other than his parents or legal guardians. This is the case when kids are sent abroad by the school for competitions, workshops, further research, projects, and field trips. In such instances, the child is accompanied only by a teacher or a coach; a Travel Clearance is then needed.

But what if the child is an illegitimate minor and will be traveling only with his or her biological father?

By virtue of Article 176 of the Family Code of the Philippines, the law that gave mothers the parental authority over illegitimate children, a Parental Travel Permit needs to be executed (by the biological mother) in order for a biological father to take his minor child out of the country.

What if the minor child is adopted and will be traveling alone with his or her adoptive father or mother?

The same rule applies except that the parents need to submit the adoption papers to prove that said parents are recognized by the state as the adoptive parents of the child.

What are the requirements that parents need to prepare when their child is traveling abroad?

  1. Travel Clearance (when applicable);
  2. PSA Birth Certificate on Security Paper (SECPA) of the minor;
  3. PSA Marriage Certificate of minor’s parents (if married);
  4. Notarized Affidavit of Consent from parents/guardians authorizing a particular person to accompany the child in his/her travel abroad;
  5. Notarized Affidavit of Support of sponsor indicating employment and salary certified by the employer, if appropriate;
  6. Latest Income Tax Return of sponsoring person and/or parents with official confirmation receipts;
  7. Two passport size pictures of minor;
  8. Photocopy of passport and visa of traveling companion of the minor.

Tomorrow we will post an article on a case where the biological father wants to take his child (who is illegitimate) on a trip to Disneyland; however, he does not have any information on the mother’s whereabouts.

Will the child ever be able to travel with his father? Are there any exemptions to Article 176 of the Family Code when it is the father who raised the illegitimate child and the mother is nowhere to be found?

Let’s find out tomorrow.

Married Woman Passport.jpg

When Gemma and PJ got married in 2008, they had to wait until 2009 before they were able to spend their honeymoon in the U.S. Gemma’s passport had to be renewed. She decided to wait until she has all her marriage documents with her because she wanted for her married name to appear on her new passport.

Her mom advised her that she actually has the option to use her maiden name in her Passport, but being the starry-eyed, brand new wife that she was then, she opted to use Geraldine Marie M. Gomez – Gomez being PJ’s last name. Before they celebrated their first wedding anniversary, they flew off to Florida for their much-awaited honeymoon; Gemma brandished her newly updated passport with her newly updated name on it. And since then, she and PJ would make it a point to explore a new country at least once every year.

Unfortunately, the honeymoon fever waned a bit too early for Gemma and PJ and in less than nine years of being married, they both decided to go their separate ways. It did not take long for PJ to find a new relationship while Gemma enjoyed the “single and ready to mingle” lifestyle she sorely missed.

The highlight of her new-found freedom would have been a week-long sojourn with her friends in Bali except that her passport was once again due for renewal. It was at this point when she realized that she wanted to begin dropping her husband’s last name and revert to her maiden name. She remembered her Mom’s advise that women have the option to use their maiden name in their passports and this was exactly what she tried to do when she applied for a passport renewal.

She was terribly surprised when the Department of Foreign Affairs told her that changing her name in her passport is not as easy as she thought it to be.

“But I thought I had the RIGHT to use whatever name I wanted on my passport, whether my maiden or married name?” Even while recovering from shock and disappointment, Gemma managed to listen intently to the DFA’s explanation:

Gemma was clearly referring to Article 370 of the New Civil Code of the Philippines which states that:

A married woman may use:

  1. Her maiden first name and surname and add her husband’s surname, or
  2. Her maiden first name and her husband’s surname or
  3. Her husband’s full name, but prefixing a word indicating that she is his wife, such as “Mrs.”

Unfortunately for Gemma, her decision to use her married name when she had her passport renewed disqualifies her from using Article 370 as basis to change her name on her passport. If she so wishes to use her maiden name, she will have to present a court decree to prove that her marriage to PJ has been annulled or they have been granted legal separation. (Other cases would be that the husband passed away, in which case she would have to present a valid PSA Death Certificate, or the husband obtained a foreign divorce against her.) Article 370 would have only worked in Gemma’s favor had she decided to retain her maiden name in her passport in spite of being married to PJ.

Gemma got her passport and used it to travel the world. It was her way of recovering from her failed marriage while contemplating on her next move. Her wish was granted when, on her 33rd birthday, PJ asked to see her to talk about legalizing their separation. They both decided to go for annulment and mutually agreed to cooperate to make the process easier for both of them. In less than three years, their annulment was granted and Gemma finally got to change her name in all of her identification cards and documents – she is now, once again, Geraldine Marie T. Mendoza.

Lost Passport.jpg

Grace emptied her backpack as soon as she stepped into her hotel room.  She turned the bag upside down and shook out all the contents of the pockets and pouches.  She took off her jacket and cargo pants and rummaged through the pockets, even though she knew she will not find it there.

With trembling hands, she grabbed her iPad and called her cousin in the Philippines, never mind if it’s the middle of the night in Manila.

“Tulungan mo ako beh, nawala ko ang passport ko! Anong gagawin ko?” (Help me, I lost my passport! What am I supposed to do now?)

Losing your passport abroad is a serious matter.  It is your primary identification while outside your home country, a prized ID that allows you to walk through ports of entries and out of immigration offices without hassle.  In other countries, you need to show your passport before they ring up your purchase (tourists are exempted from paying taxes in some countries).  Without it, you are basically an alien, in the strictest sense of the word.

So what is a Pinoy to do when he realizes that his / her passport has gone missing while he’s abroad?  I researched (and researched some more) on how seasoned travelers handled the same situation and have compiled it here for our consumption.  Feel free to share this to friends and families who are frequent travelers.  We’d love to hear about your own experiences too!

  1. Download a copy of the passport application form from the Philippine Embassy website of the country where you are located.  Provide all needed information and make sure that all entries are spelled clearly and correctly.
  2. File a police report and have it authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs where the report was filed.
  3. Get a notarized Affidavit of Loss and have this authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs where the affidavit was executed.
  4. A copy of the PSA Birth Certificate of the passport holder.
  5. Other identification cards and documents to further support the identity of the applicant.
  6. A photocopy of the lost passport (if available).
  7. Prepare the processing fees which will depend on the country where you are securing the replacement passport.
  8. You might have to cancel or re-schedule some items in your itinerary. If you are there for work or business, inform you boss and colleagues of your situation and the estimated time you need to get back on track.
  9. Once you have established communication with the Philippine Embassy and have been given an estimated timeline as to when your new passport will be released to you, get in touch with your airline.  You might need to extend your stay and therefore, your plane ticket dates need to be extended too.  In Washington D.C., a 15-day waiting period is required on top of the 8 to 12-week processing period if the lost passport is still valid and if the passport was not issued by the Embassy/Consulate General where you are applying for replacement.
  10. Next is to secure the place where you will be staying while waiting for your new passport to be released.  You might need to call relatives and friends who live near the city or state where you are staying.
  11. Secure your finances.  You might want to re-think that shopping spree.  You need to have enough cash with you to last you until you are finally able to leave.
  12. Call your family and colleagues in the Philippines and update them with your whereabouts (who are you staying with, how long will you be staying there, etc.).

Pre – departure Preparations:

  1. Back up all your identification cards.  Photocopy your passport, driver’s license, your social security card, and your company ID.  Keep soft copies in your laptop and in a USB; you might also want to keep copies in your email for easy access.
  2. Consider bringing a copy of your PSA Birth Certificate and PSA Marriage Certificate (if married).  These can come in handy when securing replacement for your lost passport.  Keep soft copies in your email and electronic devices too.
  3. Your plane tickets and boarding passes must be photocopied or scanned as well.  Keep soft copies in your tablet, phone, and in your email for easy access.
  4. Take note of the phone numbers of the Philippine Embassy of your destination.  Check out their location and office hours online.

Of course, the best solution is still to take precautionary measures and to always be extra careful with your belongings especially while in a foreign land.  Losing something as important as a passport is enough to ruin an otherwise exciting trip.  Don’t lose heart when you do lose something though; remember, every problem has a solution.  You just need to be calm and collected when faced with such challenges.  And always, always arm yourself with a back-up plan.


Reverification.jpgWhen applying for an Immigrant Visa to the U.S., an applicant may be required to submit additional documents to establish his eligibility. If this happens, the applicant is essentially “denied” under Section 221 (g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. There are no prescribed lists of documents you will be asked to submit; you will instead receive a letter from the US Embassy informing you of the additional documentation and how to submit these. It is important that you provide an active email address that you regularly access to avoid any delays in your response and submission as this will greatly affect your visa application.

In cases when the additional documents you need to submit are PSA-certified documents (or civil registry documents), such as: PSA Birth Certificate, PSA Marriage Certificate, PSA Death Certificate, you may follow the procedure below. These were lifted from

Option 1: Submit the Re-verification Form in person at the Pasay City Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) outlet:

  1. Go to the Pasay City PSA outlet.
  2. Complete the colored NSO document request form provided at the PSA outlet.
  3. Submit BOTH the colored NSO document request form and the Re-verification Form to the PSA clerk.
  4. Pay the required fee. Keep your receipt. This serves as proof you submitted the form to PSA.

Note: This form will only be accepted in person at the Pasay City PSA outlet.

Option 2: Log on to

  1. Click on the Order Now! Button.
  2. Choose the PSA document you need.
  3. Choose US Embassy Reverification; keep your reverification form.
  4. Fill out the Reverification Form Details and then click on the Submit button.

You also have the option to call the PSAHelpline hotline at 737-1111. If you are accessing the site with your phone, you will notice a “Call Now” green button on your screen. You may simply click on the icon to connect to a PSAHelpline customer care officer.

The PSA will submit the requested documents directly to the U.S. Embassy. All you have to do is be on standby for the embassy’s call or email regarding the status of your visa application. You may also contact the Visa Information and Appointment Service Center at (632) 976-8500, (632) 976-8501, or (632) 976-8502.

First Passport

You’ve been waiting for the perfect time to take your toddler with you on your next out-of-the-country trip and be able to finally take a selfie with him by the Disneyland arch in Hong Kong. His first four years, when he is beginning to become curious with his surroundings but is also already familiar with cartoon characters he sees on TV, is probably the best time to take him on such trips. He hasn’t started school yet so it would be easier to plan trips without worrying about school schedules. Also, his very own passport will serve as his very first I.D., valid and accepted in government and business establishments.

Applying for your child’s first passport is easy. At the DFA in Aseana (Pasay City), you do not even need to get an appointment if your child is seven years old and below. Just make sure that you have all the IDs and supporting documents required by the DFA. Below is an updated list lifted from the

General Requirements:

  1. Confirmed appointment (except for 7 years old and below in DFA Aseana; 1 year old and below in other DFA branches).
  2. Personal appearance of minor applicant.
  3. Personal appearance of either parent and valid passport of parents (if minor is a legitimate child).
  4. Personal appearance of mother and proper ID or valid passport of mother (if minor is an illegitimate child).
  5. Original Birth Certificate of minor in Security Paper issued by the PSA or Certified True Copy of Birth Certificate issued by the Local Civil Registrar and duly authenticated by PSA. Transcribed Birth Certificate from the LCR is required when entries in PSA Birth Certificate are blurred or unreadable. Report of Birth duly authenticated by PSA is required if minor was born abroad.
  6. Document of identity with photo, if minor is 8-17 years old (for first time and renewal applicant) such as School ID or Form 137 with readable dry seal.
    • For minor applicants who never attended school, a Notarized Affidavit of Explanation executed by either parent (if minor is a legitimate child) / by mother (if minor is an illegitimate child) detailing the reasons why the child is not in school, is required.
  7. Marriage Certificate of minor’s parents duly authenticated by PSA (for legitimate child).
  8. Original and photocopy of valid passport of the person traveling with the minor.

For the rest of the requirements on different cases of taking a minor on an overseas travel, visit and click on Documentary Requirements.

Enjoy your trip!


Acquiring a visa to visit Japan as a tourist has become easier and more convenient for Filipinos.  Previous tourist visa holders are actually granted visas valid up to five years while tourists are now able to stay up to 30 days!  If your documents and IDs are complete and updated upon application, you are almost always guaranteed to be granted your visa and be able to take that long-awaited trip to the Land of the Rising Sun!

So how easy is it really to apply for a Japan tourist visa?  Well, here you go:

Tourist Visa (No Guarantor)

  1. Updated Passport
    • Passport will not be accepted if lamination of the photo part is broken.
    • Must have at least two blank pages left.
    • Must be signed.
  2. Visa Application Form 2012
    •  This is also available upon entry at the Embassy and at the offices of accredited agencies.
  3. Photo
    • 4.5cm x 4.5cm with white background
    • Paste the photo on the printed application form.
  4. PSA Certified Birth Certificate of the applicant
  5. Marriage Contract (if the applicant is married)
  6. Detailed Itinerary
  7. Bank Certificate
  8. Income Tax Return – Form 2316
    • Original and Photocopy

Document numbers 4 and 5 must be issued within one year upon application/submission. In case of non-record, the applicant must submit a Certificate of Non-Record along with the copy from the Local Civil Registrar.

Visiting Relatives Visa (With Guarantor)

  1. Updated Passport
    • Passport will not be accepted if lamination of the photo part is broken.
    • Must have at least two blank pages left.
    • Must be signed.
  2. Visa Application Form 2012 – this is also available at:
    • The Embassy website
    • Entrance of the Embassy
    • Through accredited agencies
  3. Photo
    • 4.5cm x 4.5cm with white background
    • Paste photo on application form
  4. PSA certified Birth Certificate (to prove relationship)
  5. PSA certified Marriage Certificate (if applicant is married)
  6. Reason for invitation from Guarantor residing in Japan.

IF GUARANTOR IS JAPANESE, submit the following:

  1. Family Registration (Koseki Tohon)
  2. Residence Certificate (JUMINHYO)
    • Both must have been issued within three months.

IF GUARANTOR IS NOT JAPANESE, submit the following:

  1. Residence Certificate (JUMINHYO)
    • With description of his / her family relationship with all Family members from the City Hall,
    • Photocopy of Passport (all pages) or
    • A copy of Residency Card.

Other Requirements:

  1. Bank certificate (if applicant shoulders the trip’s expenses)
  2. ITR Form 2316 (Original and Photocopy)
  3. Letter of Guarantee – MIMOTO HOSHOSYO
    • Should guarantor pay for some expenses of the trip
  4. Income Certificate from City Hall – SHOTOKU SHOMEISHO
  5. Tax Return Certificate from Tax Office – NOUZEISHOMEISHO: form 2

Your application must be filed through accredited agencies; the following are listed in the Japanese Embassy website:

  1. UHI
  2. Discovery Tour, Inc.
  3. Rajah Travel Corporation
  4. Reli Tours and Travel Agency
  5. Attic Tour Phils., Inc.
  6. Friendship Tours and Resorts Corporation
  7. Pan Pacific Travel Corporation (for with Japanese Guarantor)

Visa Validity and Processing Time

The average processing time is one week; it may take longer especially when submitted requirements are incomplete. There are instances when the applicant may be required to submit additional documents or appear personally for an interview. Case in point, it is important that you submit the complete and accurate set of documentary requirements.

Your accredited agency shall provide you updates on the status of your application.  Visa application is free of charge in the Philippines.  In the unfortunate event that your application be denied, reasons for denial will not be disclosed; you may re-apply after six months.

Usually, a tourist is granted a total of 15 days’ stay in Japan, counting from the date of his arrival. If purpose of visit is to see relatives residing in Japan, visa is allowed up to 90 days.

If you are planning on traveling to Japan soon, do check out the weather and find out what is the best season to visit. Most people would want to see the famous cherry blossom trees, known to be at its most beautiful during the months of April and May. But there are a lot of other sites you can enjoy if the said months don’t work for you.  Enjoy your visit!



How to Apply for Japan Visa in the Philippines

Bonjour.  Mabuhay.

It’s been a while and the rush rush of everyday life seems to keep on rushing 🙂 Also, your inquiries and questions just keep pouring in that I hardly find any time to post new blogs or even subjects of interest lately.

However, I noticed that some people are still under the cloud when it comes to getting their passport processed. Considering how easy it is now, for the last 4 years or so actually, with the expansion of the DFA with mall processing offices aside from the one in ASEANA.

So for the sake of those who are planning to get a passport, new or renewal, I’m posting this 12-Easy steps. Hope it helps 🙂


Note: The appointment system is designed to coordinate the passport application flow efficiently by accommodating applicants with a scheduled hourly appearance to optimize queue and save time.

1. Log on to – you need to set an appointment first to be able to get a passport. This applies for new, renewal or lost expired passport application.

2. Select a DFA office location nearest you. There are now 6 sites to choose from.

> DFA ASEANA– ASEANA Business Park, Bradco Avenue corner Macapagal Boulevard, Paranaque City

> DFA Alabang– th Floor, Metro Alabang Town Center, Alabang – Zapote Road 1700, Muntinlupa City, Philippines

> DFA Ali Mall – Ali Mall Government Center, Level 2 Ali Mall Cubao, Quezon City, Philippines

> DFA Manila– Conception Street Corner Arroceros and San Marcelino, Metro Manila.

> DFA Megamall– 7th Floor Megamall Building C, EDSA corner J. Vargas Avenue, Mandaluyong City, Philippines

> DFA Galleria– Lingkod Pinoy Center, Level 1 west lane, Robinsons Galleria EDSA cor. Ortigas ave. Pasig City, Philippines

3. Fill up the online application form- completely and correctly, remember this is your passport, one of your major ID.

4. Choose an appointment date and time- for your convenience, you can choose the date and time of your appointment from Monday to Saturday, from 10am to 4pm.

5. Confirm and print your application form– check the email message from your submitted email address. Important: You need to click the confirmation link to finalize your appointment.

6. Prepare all the needed requirements- make sure you have prepared all the requirements and have them photocopied. Applicants without a complete set of photocopies will not be entertained. Check the list at

7. Go to your chosen DFA office on the time and date of your appointment – be there at least 30 minutes before your appointment time.

8. Present your printed application form to the Verification Counter – this counter will make sure that your appointment schedule is valid. Show your printed application form.

9. Proceed to the Processing Area and present your requirements– the DFA processor will evaluate the requirements with you.

10. Proceed to the Cashier to pay for the passport fees

  • Regular Processing (15 working days): P950.00
  • Express Processing (7 working days): P1,200.00

11. Proceed to the Encoding Area for data capturing – earrings and contact lenses are not allowed during data capturing (photo). Smiling with visible teeth are also not allowed.

12. Proceed to the Passport Delivery Counter -have your passport delivered to you after the date of release, no need to come back to get it.

I hope this helps enlighten those who are planning to get a new passport or renew their expiring ones.

Make sure you don’t deal with fixers. It is so easy that you can do it within half an hour.

Be empowered. Be smart.



%d bloggers like this: