How To Update Your Last Name And Marital Status After Getting Married

Have you been married for quite a few months now but are still clueless on how to go about updating your marital status in your SSS, PhilHealth, and Pag-IBIG accounts? Do you really need to change your last name in all your IDs now that you are a wife?

Updating your marital status in all of the above-mentioned accounts can be pretty overwhelming. The current situation with the pandemic does not make it any easier either. But these are things that need to be accomplished in order to put your records in order.

We created a summary of the requirements and processes involved when changing your marital status and last name in your PhilHealth, SSS, Pag-IBIG, Passport, and Driver’s License. We hope this helps you navigate your way through one of the first errands as a wife.

The first thing you need to have are copies of your PSA birth certificate and PSA marriage certificate. You can get both by ordering online at Order more than one copy of the above documents as some government agencies require the original copy of the certificate for their files. PSAHelpline delivers PSA certificates nationwide — this is a lot more convenient (and safe) than going out of the house.


To avoid delays when using your PhilHealth for check-ups and hospital admissions, make sure that your records are updated and your name and the names of your beneficiaries on record match the names on your IDs.

To update your personal details in your PhilHealth account, follow these steps:

  1. Download and print a copy of the PhilHealth Member Registration Form (PMRF). You can download a copy of the form here.
  2. Fill-out the PMRF and bring this to the nearest PhilHealth office in your area. Include the following:
    • PSA Marriage Certificate – 1 photocopy and 1 original for verification
    • If you wish to change your last name in your PhilHealth records, bring your old PhilHealth ID card.
    • One government-issued ID or any valid ID as reference of your maiden name.

3. At the PhilHealth office, look for a customer service personnel and advise that you are there to update your marital status (and last name if you wish to use your married last name in your PhilHealth record).

4. Hand over your duly accomplished PMRF and other supporting documents to the counter. The changes will be applied to your record while you wait.

5. Updating your marital status and changing your last name in your PhilHealth records is free of charge.


If you are employed, it may be best that you consult your HR about the process of updating your marital status and last name in your SSS records with them first.

Below are the standard requirements and process for your reference:


  1. PSA Marriage Certificate
  2. Duly accomplished Member’s Data Change Request (SS Form E-4)
  3. UMID card or any two valid IDs
  4. Authorization letter for your employer to process the changes you wish to apply to your SSS records.


Submit the above to your HR (and any other ID or document that they may require) and wait for their advise as to when the changes will be applied to your SSS details.

If you are not employed, you must visit the nearest SSS branch to have the updates applied to your SSS records. To visit an SSS office, you need to get an appointment through the SSS website.



  1. Prepare your Pag-IBIG MID number
  2. Photocopy of your PSA marriage certificate (bring the original as well for verification)
  3. Any valid ID
  4. Duly accomplished Member’s Change of Information Form (MCIF)


  1. Go to the nearest Pag-IBIG branch, get a queue number from the personnel desk and wait for your number to be called.
  2. Submit your duly accomplished MCIF and other documentary and ID requirements. Your details will be updated while you wait.
  3. You will be given a copy of your MCIF after your information are updated.
  4. If you requested to change your last name to your married last name, you will be ushered to a different area where your new MDF will be printed. Your new MDF should now reflect your married last name and your husband’s full name.


Married women have the option to retain their maiden last name in their passport; however, if you have already used your married last name in your passport before, you cannot revert to your maiden last name unless your marriage has been annulled or you were widowed.

You can have your passport updated with your married last name any time; you can also wait until your passport is up for renewal before you have the changes applied.


  1. Confirmed appointment at the DFA office of your choice.
  2. Original copy of your PSA marriage certificate
  3. Original and photocopy of your passport. (Photocopy of the biodata page only.)
  4. Two valid IDs with your married name, if possible.
  5. Proof of payment


  1. Download a copy of the application form online and fill it out.
  2. Personally appear at your chosen DFA branch on the day and time of your confirmed appointment. A confirmed appointment also means that you have paid for the passport fee — make sure to bring the proof of your payment on your appointment day.
  3. The DFA consul will process your application and you will be issued a receipt stating when your passport will be released. You also have the option to have your passport delivered to you instead, in which case, you will have to pay an extra fee for the delivery.


Like your passport, you can update your last name on your driver’s license even before the license expires, or you can wait until you renewal date and include the updating of your marital status and change of last name in the renewal process.


  1. PSA Marriage Certificate (original and photocopy)
  2. Your valid or expired driver’s license
  3. Duly accomplished application form


  1. Proceed to your LTO branch and submit the above requirements.
  2. Pay the necessary fees and wait for the updates to be applied to your records and your license.

You might have to take a leave from work to get all these done (maybe more than one or two days). You also need to prepare enough funds for the fees and payments and other incidental expenses. It may look overwhelming at first but remember, you only need to do this once (we hope!). It’s just one of the many things that you need to accomplish after you have become a missus.

Let us know if you have questions.


Nuptials Philippine Wedding Blog

Philippine Health Insurance Corporation

Pag-IBIG Fund

Social Security System

Department of Foreign Affairs

Land Transportation Office


Published by MasterCitizen

I collect citizen facts and the usual stuff that might be important for a Pinoy's everyday life....Subscribe to get updates, opinions, and news.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: