I wrote about this topic a few weeks back and would like to update our community with more specific details of this PhilHealth benefit. I have a friend who contracted COVID-19 recently (she’s not vaccinated); her bill, after she was declared COVID-free, was at roughly around Php 500K. She said that PhilHealth covered majority of the expenses (she was confined in a government hospital and was a severe case). Because of her story, I will dedicate time to research more on PhilHealth’s participation in COVID-19 patients’ expenses. But for now, I’d like to share with you the details of home isolation benefit packages for COVID-19 patients who do not require hospitalization.
Remember, under the Universal Health Care Law, all Filipinos are entitled to avail of PhilHealth benefits. If you are not yet a registered PhilHealth member, submit a PhilHealth Member Registration Form to your healthcare provider immediately.
Who can use the COVID-19 Home Isolation Benefit Package of PhilHealth?
- COVID-19 patients who are asymptomatic, are exhibiting mild symptoms and are capable of self-isolation based on the following criteria:
- Has a separate room in the house that he or she can use to isolate.
- Has his or her own bathroom and toilet.
- Room has good ventilation.
- Can employ a caregiver or have people at home who are physically able to care for him or her while in isolation.
If the patient experiences shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, chest pains, or has comorbidities, he or she should not isolate at home.
What are included in the COVID-19 Home Isolation Benefit Package?
- Home Isolation Kit
- Consultation and monitoring services such as teleconsultations and supportive care.
- Patient education such as how to use a pulse oximeter, symptoms to watch out for, medications, and waste disposal and infection control.
- High-level health facility referral if needed.
- Additional clinical support while waiting for admission to higher level facilities if needed.
What are included in the Home Isolation Kit?
- 1L 70% Alcohol
- 1 Thermometer
- 1 Pulse Oximeter
- 5 Face Masks
- Medicines and vitamins
- 18 pcs Paracetamol
- 12 pcs Lagundi tablets (or its equivalent)
- 6 sachets oral rehydration salts
- 10 pcs Ascorbic Acid
- 10 pcs Vitamin D
- 2 syrup bottles or 10 pcs of Zinc
How to avail of the benefit package?
- Call your BHERT and show them the official positive result of your COVID-19 test.
- Submit yourself to the clinical and social assessment to determine if you pass the criteria.
- BHERT will advise you if you can be allowed to undergo home isolation. If you are, you may call any of the accredited providers of the COVID-19 Health Isolation Benefit Package.
- The provider will pay you a visit for your consultation. They will bring you your Home Isolation Kit.
- Log your symptoms while in isolation.
If you have further questions about COVID-19 health benefit packages from PhilHealth, I think the fastest way you can reach them is through their Facebook page’s messenger. Go to https://www.facebook.com/PhilHealthOfficial.