How To Apply For A US Fiance Visa (K-1)

You can gain US citizenship by marrying a US citizen; and you can enter US territories through the power of a K-1 visa. A K-1 visa permits foreign-citizen fiance to travel to the US and marry his or her US citizen sponsor within 90 days upon arrival.

How do I apply for a K-1 visa?

Step 1: It is the U.S. citizen sponsor (your fiance) that should initiate the filing of the petition. He or she must file Form I-129F Petition for Alien Fiance at the USCIS (US Citizenship and Immigration Services) office that serves the area where you live.

The USCIS sends the petition to the National Visa Center (NVC) after they approve it. You will then be given a case number by the NVC. Your petition will be sent to the US Embassy or Consulate where your fiance lives.

Step 2: The fiance living in the US will be informed by the NVC via mail when they have sent the petition to the US Embassy or Consulate. This means that the fiance in the Philippines may begin preparing for his or her interview.

Required documentation:

The fiance in the Philippines must prepare the following prior to his or her visa interview:

  • Completed Form DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application.
  • Philippine passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity of at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the US.
  • PSA Birth Certificate. You can have this ordered online and delivered to you because PSA offices have very limited capacity due to the pandemic. Order online at and have your civil registry documents delivered instead.
  • PSA Death Certificates of any previous spouse(s) for both you and the US citizen sponsor. Again, you can acquire copies of PSA death certificates online at
  • Police Certificates from your present country of residence and all countries where you have lived for six months or more since age 16.
  • Medical examination. You will be provided instructions regarding medical examinations, including information on authorized panel physicians.
  • Evidence of Financial Support – Form I-134, Affidavit of Support may be requested). During the visa interview, you will be required to present evidence to the consular officer that they are not likely to become a public charge in the United States (meaning: you are capable of financially providing for yourself. Otherwise, you should be able to show proof that your US fiance can earn a living for both of you).
  • Two 2×2 photographs of you (Filipino/Filipina fiance)
  • Evidence of relationship with your US citizen fiance (emails, snail mail, photographs together, maybe even a history of your chats, etc.)
  • Payment of fees.
    • USD 265.00

The I-129F petition is valid for four months only, beginning on the date the USCIS approved the petition. This can be extended, subject to consular officer’s approval, should it expire before the visa processing is completed.

For further information on Fiance Visas, please visit the US Embassy website at


Published by MasterCitizen

I collect citizen facts and the usual stuff that might be important for a Pinoy's everyday life....Subscribe to get updates, opinions, and news.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: