Just Married: How to Change Your Last Name in Your IDs and Documents

After exchanging “I do’s” with your husband, it is time you start changing your last name in most (if not all) of your government IDs and documents, too.  Or do you, really?

Your change in marital status must be duly reflected in your accounts with the government such as your SSS (or GSIS if you are a government employee), Pag-IBIG, and PhilHealth. You may also want to update your bank account details as well as your insurance policies.  You also have the option to change your last name as it appears in your passport.

So, to help you get started, we summarized the step-by-step processes in changing your last name in your government-issued IDs, as listed below. Word of the wise: do this as soon as you can!

Oh, and before you embark on this “journey”, make sure you have a copy of your PSA birth certificate and PSA marriage certificate with you as these are commonly required when changing your last name in your government-issued IDs. You can order yours and have it delivered to you by PSAHelpline.ph.

  1. PhilHealth ID
    • Requirements:
      • PhilHealth Member Registration Form (PMRF)
      • PSA Marriage Certificate (bring an original copy and a couple of photocopies, to be sure).
      • Your old PhilHealth ID
      • Any other valid government-issue ID, company ID, etc. only for validation.
    • How to file:
      • Visit the nearest PhilHealth office in your area and fill out a PMRF.
      • Submit the accomplished PMRF to the counter and your request for change of last name will be processed while you wait.
      • This update in your personal details is free of charge. You will be issued a new ID that shows your married last name.
  2. Social Security System (SSS)
    • Requirements:
      • PSA Marriage Certificate
      • Member’s Data Change Request Form (SS Form E-4)
      • UMID card or any 2 valid IDs
      • If you are employed, you need to issue an authorization letter for your employer to file the request of change of civil status at the SSS (on your behalf).
    • How to file:
      • Employed SSS members must advise their HR that they wish to update their marital status in their SSS account. You will be asked to submit an accomplished Member’s Data Change Request form (SS Form E-4).
      • Photocopy your IDs and marriage certificate and attach these to the change request form.
      • Your HR should be able to provide you updates on your request.
      • Unemployed members may request for the updating of their civil status directly at the nearest SSS branch.
  3. Pag-IBIG
    • Requirements:
      • Pag-IBIG number
      • PSA marriage certificate (original and photocopy)
      • Any other valid government-issued ID or company ID, etc. for validation.
      • Duly accomplished MCIF (Member’s Change of Information Form).
    • How to file:
      • At the nearest Pag-IBIG branch, submit your duly accomplished MCIF and other requirements (photocopies of PSA birth certificate and marriage certificate, IDs, etc.)
      • After your civil status has been updated, you will be given a new copy of your MCIF.
  4. Passport
    • Requirements:
      • Get an appointment online at https://www.passport.gov.ph/; choose the DFA branch where you wish to have your passport renewed.
      • PSA Marriage Certificate (original copy)
      • Photocopy of information page of your current passport.
      • Duly accomplished application form.
      • Two valid IDs and photocopies of each.
      • Proof of payment
    • How to file:
      • Present your documentary requirements to the DFA on the day and time of your appointment.
      • You will be advised when your updated or renewed passport will be available for release.
  5. Driver’s License
    • Requirements:
    • How to:
      • Submit all the above documents to the nearest LTO branch and wait for your new license to be released.

Banks, schools, and other private establishments may have their own set of requirements and processes when facilitating requests for changing of last names of their female account holders, enrollees, etc. That is why I opted to leave those out of today’s article. I hope you found this piece helpful still.

Thank you for dropping by and please share this to others, too.







Published by MasterCitizen

I collect citizen facts and the usual stuff that might be important for a Pinoy's everyday life....Subscribe to get updates, opinions, and news.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: