How to File a Delayed Registration of Birth in the Philippines

A child’s birth must be registered at the Local Civil Registry office in the city or municipality where he or she was born.  And this must be done within 30 days from the date of birth otherwise, the registration will be tagged as delayed.

If your birth is not registered, you will not be issued a birth certificate. Should you try to request for a copy of your birth certificate (assuming you are not aware that your birth is not registered), you will receive a negative report from the PSA (Philippine Statistics Authority).  For you to have a PSA birth certificate, your birth must be duly registered.

Below are the most important details you need to know when filing a late registration of birth for yourself or your child. These information were lifted from the website of the PSA, simplified for everyone’s easy reference.

Read on.


  1. If the person is less than 18 years old, the following shall be required:
    • Four copies of the Certificate of Live Birth duly accomplished and signed by the proper parties;
    • Accomplished Affidavit for Delayed Registration at the back of Certificate of Live Birth by the father, mother, or guardian, declaring therein, among other things, the following:
      • Name of child
      • Date and place of birth
      • Name of the father if the child is illegitimate and has been acknowledged by him.
      • If legitimate, the date and place of marriage of parents.
      • Reason for not registering the birth within 30 days after the date of birth.
    • If the child is illegitimate and the person filing the late registration is not the mother, the following requirements will be added to the list:
      • Sworn statement on the recent whereabouts of the mother
      • Any two of the following documentary evidences which may show the name of the child, date and place of birth, and name of mother (and name of the father is the child has been acknowledged):
        • Baptismal certificate
        • School records (nursery, kindergarten, preparatory)
        • Income tax returns of parents
        • Insurance policy
        • Medical records
        • Other types of documents such as barangay captain’s certification
      • Affidavit of two disinterested persons who might have witnessed or known the birth of the child.
  2. If the person is 18 years old and above.
    • All the requirements for the person who is less than 18 years old and
    • Certificate of marriage, if married.


  1. The delayed registration of birth must be filed at the Office of the Civil Registrar of the place where the birth occurred.
  2. The civil registrar shall examine the Certificate of Live Birth presented, whether it has been completely and correctly filed in and all requirements have been complied with.
  3. The Office of the Civil Registrar shall review the documents and may take five days or less to complete the process. Follow-up on the results so you can pick up the birth certificate right after.
  4. If you no longer reside in the city or municipality where you were born, you may still file for a delayed registration of birth at the civil registry office closest to you. They may then endorse the documents to the civil registry of your birthplace. You need to pay an endorsement fee for this.

I hope you found this helpful. Of course, the best people to ask about specific details of delayed registration of birth are those that work at the office of the local civil registrar. Also bear in mind that fees and requirements vary and that in some cases, the LCR might require you to submit documents that are not mentioned here.

Follow us for more helpful tips and insights on anything Pinoy! Have a safe and productive day ahead!



Published by MasterCitizen

I collect citizen facts and the usual stuff that might be important for a Pinoy's everyday life....Subscribe to get updates, opinions, and news.

6 thoughts on “How to File a Delayed Registration of Birth in the Philippines

  1. Paano po mapalitan ang apilido, kasi apilido ng nanay ko ang dala ko ngayun, gusto ko sana palitan ng apilido ng tatay ko,paano mo?

  2. Hello po my anak aq 5 years old sa ngayun apleydo ko ang dala nya kasi hindi pa kami kasal ng father nya..gusto sana ng father nya na elipat ang apleydo sa kanya..pwede po bah mgpa late register kahit wla ditto kanyang father?

  3. Paano po pag walang livebirth..hindi rin po alam ng kumopkop sa akin.iniwan ksi aq ng mama q when i was 8 yrs old..36 yrs old napo aq.wlang nso..walang livebirth, bptismal..hindi q po alam ano gagawin q..wla rin pakialam ang kumopkop sa kin.. Sana matulungan nyo po aq

    1. Hi Joy! Alam mo ba kung saan ka pinanganak? Pwede ka nang mag file ng Late Registration of Birth for yourself, and preferably, sa munisipyo ng bayan kung saan ka pinanganak mo ito i-file. Sila na ang mag sasabi sa yo kung ano ang mga requirements at fees na dapat bayaran. Sa munisipyo ka maki transact, wag sa mga fixers.

  4. Hello, I got a negative result from PSA. I’m overseas. I contacted a Vital Event Records Certified, (they’re on Facebook), run by an attorney to help with LCR, endorsement, or late registration. Are you familiar with their service? Thanks!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: