How to File a Legitimation of Birth in the Philippines

An illegitimate child’s birth right may be changed to legitimate after his biological parents marry. Below is a complete how-to guide we lifted from the website of the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) for your reference.

Read on.


Legitimation is a remedy for those born out of wedlock and are considered illegitimate to be considered legitimate.

Who are qualified to undergo legitimation?

Only children conceived and born outside of wedlock of parents who at the time of the conception of the former, were not disqualified by any impediments to marry each other, may be legitimated.

Where should I file the legitimation of my child?

Legitimation of children must be filed at the civil registry office of the place where the child’s birth was recorded.


  1. PSA Marriage Certificate of parents
  2. PSA Birth Certificate of the child
  3. Acknowledgment (not required if child was born on or after August 3, 1988)
  4. Affidavit of legitimation executed by both parents which shall contain the following facts:
    • Names of parents
    • That at the time when the child was conceived, the aforesaid parents could have contracted marriage, and that they subsequently contracted marriage.
    • The date and place when such marriage was solemnized.
    • The name of the officer who officiated the marriage.
    • The city or municipality where such marriage was recorded.
    • The name of the child to be legitimated and other facts of birth.
    • The date and place where the birth of the child was registered.
    • The manner by which the child was acknowledged by the parents which may be in the child’s birth record, in a will, a statement before a court , or in any authentic writing (not required for illegitimate children born on or after August 3, 1988.)

For a child to be considered legitimated by subsequent marriage, it is necessary that:

  • The parents could have legally contracted marriage at the time the child was conceived.
  • That the child was been acknowledged by the parents before or after the celebration of their marriage.
  • The acknowledgment has been made with the consent of the child, if age or with the approval of the court, if a minor, unless it has been made in the certificate before a court of record, or in any authentic writing.

Will the child’s last name be changed?

Yes, after the legitimation, the child may start using his or her father’s last name. However, his last name as it appears in the Registrar of Births shall not be erased or deleted; instead, an annotation shall be made in the remarks space in his birth certificate, indicating the last name that he shall bear by virtue of the legitimation. A note stating: “Legitimated by Subsequent Marriage”

If the parents annul their marriage later on, will it affect the child’s legitimation?

The annulment of a voidable marriage shall not affect the legitimation (Art. 178, Family Code of the Philippines).

If you have more questions about legitimation, you can send me an email or comment below and I will try to find the answers.

Thank you again for dropping by!



Published by MasterCitizen

I collect citizen facts and the usual stuff that might be important for a Pinoy's everyday life....Subscribe to get updates, opinions, and news.

11 thoughts on “How to File a Legitimation of Birth in the Philippines

  1. Hello! Good Pm. We already filed sa LCR and for pick up na yung documents. After namen makuha yun, kami pa din po ba magpfile sa PSA nun or yung LCR na po? Mag aantay na lang ba kami magkarecords si PSA?

  2. Hello po. Maari pa bang mabago apelido Ng anak ko nakaapelido po sya sa akin pero Hindi kami kasal Ng tatay Niya gusto po nmin palitan Ng apelido na Ng tatay niya.7yrs old po Yung bata

  3. Hello po ..paanu yung sa birth certificate ng anak q not married ang nakalagay kc noong bininyagan xa hndi p kmi kasal pero ngayun gsto ko Sana mailagay sa birth certificate nya n maried po.. paanu po yun?

  4. hello po.. Mam/ Sir.. May problema po ako sa PSA Birth Certtificate ko po.. Dati po nakakuha ako ng PSA BirthCertificate ko mam at okay naman po kaso ung nakuha ko po na original naipasa ko po nun sa Inapplyan ko po mam noon tapos nung kukuha ulit ako ng Birth Certificate ko mam after 2 days lang nun naka lock na po ung Birth Certiifcate ko mam..hindi ko na po mailabas mam.. Bakit po kaya naka lock mam ano po kaya dahilan mam?

    1. Posible na may double registration sa pangalan mo. Ang naka lock na kopya ay yung pangalawang registration mo, at ang pwede mong makuha na copy ay yung original. Saan ka nag request ng birth certificate mo at papano nalaman na naka lock na ito?

  5. Good day po paano po gagawin sa birth certificate ng apo ko nung ipinanganak siya d pa kasal parents nya iglesia po father nya d pa rin converted mother nya(anak ko) kaya gamit nya surname ng mother nya nasa birth certificate nya wala middle initial nung nag aral siya ginamit nya surname ng father nya at middle initial nya sa mother nya after 3 yrs ikinasal sila kumuha ng fake birth certificate father nya kasi requirement sa school paano po proseso para maiayos birth certificate nya sa PSA at magkano po kaya gagastusin?

    1. Ano po yung “kumuha ng fake na birth certificate yung father niya”? Fake birth certificate po ng father?

      Kung kasal na po ang biological parents ng bata, pwede na po silang mag file ng legitimation due to subsequent marriage sa munisipyo para legal na magamit na ng bata ang apelido ng tatay niya, at para mapalitan na yung status niya from illegitimate to legitimate.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: