What to Do When Your First Name Does Not Match the First Name in Your PSA Birth Certificate

First and foremost, why does this happen? Do parents simply forget what first name they wrote on their child’s Certificate of Live Birth and just goes ahead and gives their baby a brand new first name? I know of some parents who change their child’s first name on or before the child turns 7 years old when the child is sickly or frail (a local superstitious belief, I guess), could this also be one reason? The more common (and plausible) reason I know is the double registration of birth certificates? How does this happen? A child’s birth may have been registered twice at the LCR for any of the following reasons (but not limited to these):

  • The parents wanted to change the child’s first name so instead of filing for a petition for a change of name, they submit a new birth registration.
  • A mother wanting to drop the last name of her child and change it to her maiden last name or to the child’s father’s last name, submits a new birth registration instead of undergoing the prescribed process of changing a person’s last name in his or her birth certificate.
  • The Maria in a girl’s first name is sometimes mindlessly shortened to just Ma. without knowing that omitting the last three letters could cause the person a lot of headaches in the future. And so, to correct the mistake, the parents (or maybe even the owner of the birth certificate) submits a second birth registration with the correct version of Maria written on the first name field.

What exactly do you do when you realize that the first name written in your PSA birth certificate is not exactly the first name you use in your IDs and documents?

According to the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA), if the first name used is different from what is entered in the birth certificate, the first name in the birth certificate shall be changed by filing a petition for change of first name under the provisions of R.A. 9048.

Change of first names like Ma. to Maria should be corrected by filing a petition for change of first name under the provisions of R.A. 9048 – and not by filing a second birth registration!

Who shall file:

  • Owner of the birth certificate
  • Spouse of owner
  • Children
  • Parents
  • Siblings
  • Grandparents
  • Legal guardian
  • Other person duly authorized by law or by the owner of the document sought to be corrected.
  • If the owner of the record is a minor or physically or mentally incapacitated, petition may be filed by his spouse, or any of his children, parents, brothers, sisters, grandparents, guardians, or persons duly authorized by law.

Where to file:

  • File the petition at the Local Civil Registry office where the birth was registered.
  • If you already live in a different city or province and traveling back to your place of birth will prove difficult or costly, you may file at the LCR of the area where you currently reside.

Supporting documents:

  • Certified machine copy of the birth record containing the entry to be corrected;
  • Not less than two (2) private or public documents upon which the correction shall be based like baptismal certificate, voters’ affidavit, employment record, GSIS/SSS record, medical record, business record, driver’s license, insurance, land titles, certificate of land transfer, bank passbook;
  • Notice/Certificate of posting
  • Filing fee of Php 3,000 (check the fee amount with your LCR too, the P3,000 is the published amount in the PSA website).
  • NBI/Police clearance.

The LCR might require you to present other documents and IDs not mentioned in the list.

Have you checked your PSA birth certificate lately? If you don’t have a copy of your birth certificate at home, it’s about time you order one to make sure that what the PSA have on file (for you) is accurate. It would be a shame to have to fix errors in your birth certificate right when you need it for some important transaction or ID application (hint: passport, national ID).

I order mine at PSAHelpline.ph. You should try them too.

Till next. And thank you for still being here 😊




Published by MasterCitizen

I collect citizen facts and the usual stuff that might be important for a Pinoy's everyday life....Subscribe to get updates, opinions, and news.

4 thoughts on “What to Do When Your First Name Does Not Match the First Name in Your PSA Birth Certificate

    1. Paanu po Ang gagawin Kung Ang name q sa PSA I jeniffer but all my documents IDs and birt certificate is Jennifer wrong sleeping instead of double FF I use double NN

      1. Pwede mo na ipa correct yan sa LCR by issuing a petition for correction of clerical error. Mag inquire ka sa munisipyo ng mga kailangan mong i-submit at kung may fees na kailangan kang bayaran.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: