How to Change “Baby Boy” and “Baby Girl” in Your Birth Certificate

Are you one of the many Filipinos whose first name in his or her PSA birth certificate is either Baby Boy or Baby Girl?  Sakit ba sa ulo? Good thing the Philippine Statistics Authority already has a prescribed solution to help you get rid of these “babies” in your birth certificate and replace it with a proper first name.

Did you know that the year when you were born makes all the difference in the solution for this birth certificate problem? Read on:

If the child was born before 1993

The first name “Baby Boy”, “Baby Girl”, “Boy”, and “Girl” as considered as if the first names were omitted, hence these are cases falling under the procedure of supplemental report (Memorandum Circular dated September 12, 2008 re “Revisions n Paragraph 2, Case No. 1 of Memorandum Circular No. 2007-2008).

If the child was born in 1993 onwards

The “Baby Boy”, “Baby Girl”, “Baby”, “Boy”, and “Girl” are already considered as a first name and can be corrected by filing a petition for change of first name under RA 9048 (Memorandum Circular dated September 12, 2008 re “Revisions n Paragraph 2, Case No. 1 of Memorandum Circular No. 2007-2008).

You do not have to live your life as a “baby” just because someone made the grave mistake of placing “baby boy” or “baby girl” in the first name field in your birth certificate. Have it corrected now so you can start using your real given first name in all of your IDs and documents.

If you’ve experienced having “baby boy” or “baby girl” dropped from your name, maybe you can share your experience with us in the comments.


Published by MasterCitizen

I collect citizen facts and the usual stuff that might be important for a Pinoy's everyday life....Subscribe to get updates, opinions, and news.

6 thoughts on “How to Change “Baby Boy” and “Baby Girl” in Your Birth Certificate

    1. If your gender in your birth certificate is incorrect, you can have it corrected under RA No. 10172. The petitioner must personally file the petition with the local civil registry (LCR) office where his birth certificate is registered.

      Below is the list of documentary requirements you need to prepare when filing for such correction, as lifted from the website of the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA):

      1. Earliest school record or earliest school documents.
      2. Medical records
      3. Baptismal certificate and other documents issued by religious authorities.
      4. A clearance or a certification that the owner of the document has no pending administrative, civil, or criminal case, or no criminal record, which shall be obtained from the following:
      5. Employer, if employed;
      6. National Bureau of Investigation; and
      Philippine National Police.
      7. The petition for the correction of sex and day and/or month in the date of birth shall include the affidavit of publication from the publisher and a copy of the newspaper clipping; and
      8. In case of correction of sex, the petition shall be supported with a medical certification issued by an accredited government physician that the petitioner has not undergone a sex change or sex transplant.

    1. Ibig niyo po bang sabihin ay middle name at last name po ninyo as the mother ang nakalagay as middle and last name ng anak ninyo?

      According to the PSA website:

      A petition in court should be filed to correct the middle name of the child and the last name of the mother in the birth certificate. The error is not already considered as clerical which can be corrected administratively through R.A. 9048.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: