January 2020 (and onwards) may just be the best time to give birth after SSS announced that maternity benefits for eligible SSS female members could reach up to P70,000 by next year. According to the SSS, the recently implemented new minimum and maximum monthly salary credit for members and as a result, the usual maternity benefit which was only at P32,000 could double up to P70,000. This is another good news from the SSS after the approval and implementation of the Expanded Maternity Leave Act that guarantees female members of 105 days of paid maternity leave, among other privileges.
How to avail of the SSS Maternity Benefit?
- Female SSS members with complete monthly contributions.
- Female SSS members who have paid contributions of not less than 3 months within the 12-month period before the date of delivery or miscarriage.
- Member must submit a duly accomplished Maternity Notification Form or the SSS Form MAT-1 with proof of pregnancy (ultrasound, doctor’s report).
- Employed members may submit the SSS Form MAT-2 for maternity reimbursement so the employer can provide the salary credit due from SSS. This should be given to the employee by the time she goes on maternity leave.
- Voluntary, work-at-home, and separated members may only submit the SSS Form MAT-1 and the cash allowance shall be given directly to the member.
To know how to compute for your SSS Maternity Benefit, you can read this blog we released in May 2017.