5 May 21

Now that we know the different types of birth certificate errors and how we can have these corrected, the next question we need to answer is when will the amended copies of the birth certificate be made available? 

This is important information that we all need to know, especially since Pinoys only attend to matters such as birth certificate corrections when a bigger concern is at hand.  For example, you are applying for an overseas job and therefore, you need a passport.  However, you could not secure a passport because there is an error in your birth certificate (such as the spelling of your name, incorrect gender, birth date, or birthplace.).  So you proceed to the LCR of your birthplace to have the error corrected, hoping that you can get it done in a jiffy.

Jiffy is not possible when correcting entry in a birth certificate.  It takes time to apply the corrections and has an amended copy of the document available for the owner’s use.

We did research on how long a birth certificate is corrected and we found out that the timeline actually depends on the type of correction involved.  Needless to say, if your birth certificate required a court proceeding, it would take so much longer than expected.

Below is the list:

  1. Administrative Correction:
  1. Supplemental Report – 1 month
  2. Change of first name – 4 to 7 months
  3. Change of Gender/Correction of Birthday or birth month – 4 to 7 months
  1. Correction of Clerical Error

All cases under correction of clerical error are processed within 2 to 5 months.

  1. Judicial Correction

Cases under judicial correction are expected to be significantly longer; these could go on from one to one and a half years or even longer, depending on how complicated the case is.