5 May 06

A clerical error in your PSA birth certificate can be corrected by filing a petition for correction at the LCR where the birth certificate is registered.  The following is a list of errors that can be considered clerical in nature.  Note, however, that it is the LCR that shall determine the type of correction that can be applied to any error found in a birth certificate.  That is why it is best that you consult with them whenever you see any discrepancy in your civil registry documents.

  • Blurred name (first, middle, or last name).
  • Mother’s last name is wrong while the child’s middle name is correct.
  • Child’s middle name is wrong while the mother’s last name is correct.
  • Wrong spelling of the name (first, middle, or last name).
  • Middle and last names have been interchanged.
  • Middle initial entered instead of the full surname.
  • The wrong gender indicated.

Blurred or Unreadable Entries

According to the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA), if the record of PSA is blurred, the Local Civil Registrar shall be requested to endorse a copy of the birth certificate with a clearer entry in the first name to the PSA.  However, if the PSA and LCR copies are both blurred, a petition for correction of clerical error under the provisions of R.A. 9048 should be filed.

Supporting Documents:

  1. Certified machine copy of the birth record containing the entry to be corrected.
  2. Not less than two (2) private or public documents upon which the correction shall be based like baptismal certificate, voters’ affidavit, employment record, GSIS/SSS record, medical record, business record, drivers’ license, insurance, land titles, certificate of land transfer, bank passbook, NBI/police clearance, civil registry records of ascendants.
  3. Notice/Certificate of Posting.
  4. Payment of P1,000 as a filing fee.  For petitions filed abroad, a fee of 50 USD or equivalent value in local currency shall be collected.
  5. Other documents which may be required by the concerned civil registrar.

In the coming days, we shall feature the list of requirements for the other birth certificate errors that fall under the clerical category.

Source: www.psa.gov.ph