Archive for April, 2019

4 Apr 30

If the first name written on your PSA birth certificate is not the name that you are using in most (if not all) of your IDs and transactions, you need to have it changed.  It is important that the details in your IDs and those written in your birth certificate match, especially when you are applying for a passport.

As mentioned in our previous blog, changing your first name in your birth certificate is considered an administrative correction.  Therefore, you need to file a petition for change of the first name under the provisions of R.A. 9048.

Here are the list of documentary requirements, IDs, and fees:

  1. Certified machine copy of the birth record containing the entry to be corrected;
  2. Not less than two (2) private or public documents upon which the correction shall be based like baptismal certificate, voters’ affidavit, employment record, GSIS/SSS record, medical record, business record, drivers’ license, insurance, land titles, certificate of land transfer, bank passbook;
  3. Notice/Certificate of Posting;
  4. Payment of Three Thousand Pesos (P3,000) as the filing fee. For petitions filed abroad, a fee of $150 or equivalent value in local currency shall be collected;
  5. Other documents which may be required by the concerned civil registrar;
  6. NBI/Police Clearance, civil registry records of ascendants and other clearances as may be required by the concerned civil registry office;
  7. Proof of publication.

The petitioner may file the documents with the Local Civil Registry (LCR) office of the city or municipality where the birth is registered.  If he no longer lives in the place where he was born, he may file it at the LCR office where he is currently residing.

If the petitioner was born abroad, he may file the correction at the Philippine Consulate office where the birth was reported.



4 Apr 24

There are two types of errors that can happen to your birth certificate: one that can be corrected by filing a petition for correction, and one that requires legal proceedings and court hearings.  We summarized the different types of birth certificate errors and how these can be corrected.  Read on.

Administrative Correction

Always remember that all the entries in your birth certificate are transcribed by human hands.  The document may have been accomplished by your parents, a nurse at the hospital where you were born, the midwife that assisted during your mother’s delivery, or any one of your relatives.  Upon registration, a staff at the Local Civil Registry office will again transcribe your details to create your birth certificate; during which, typographical errors and misspellings are likely to be committed.  These are considered clerical errors and are not done intentionally.

These types of errors may cause delays in your transactions and applications but the good news is, it can be fixed without much expense and without the need for a lawyer’s services.

Here are the different types of corrections that fall under Administrative Corrections:

  1. Change of First Name
  • First name being used is different from the first name on the birth certificate.
  • The first name on the birth certificate is written as “Baby Boy”, “Baby Girl”, “Boy”, or “Girl” and the child was born 1993 onwards.
  1. Wrong Gender or Wrong Day or Month of Birth
  • Date of birth (day or month) is wrong.
  • The wrong gender is checked.
  1. Clerical Error Correction
  • Blurred name (first, middle, or last name)
  • Mother’s last name is wrong while the child’s middle name is correct.
  • Child’s middle name is wrong while the mother’s last name is correct.
  • Wrong spelling of the name (first, middle, or last name).
  • Middle and last names have been interchanged.
  • Middle initial entered instead of the full surname.
  • The wrong gender is checked.
  1. Supplemental Report
  • No first name, middle name, or last name (if legitimate).
  • No middle name (if illegitimate and acknowledged by the father).
  • The first name on the birth certificate is written as “Baby Boy”, “Baby Girl”, “Boy”, or “Girl” and the child was born before 1993.
  • No check mark for gender/there are check marks for both genders.
  • The illegitimate child wants to use the father’s surname.  Take note that this correction only involves the surname.  Changing status to legitimate or illegitimate requires court order/proceeding.

Judicial Correction

These types of corrections cannot be processed by the birth certificate owner on his own and therefore must undergo judicial proceedings.

Below are the requirements for judicial correction:

  • Documents containing information or entries pertinent to your case.  The documentary requirements you will submit depends on the correction you are requesting and will be subject to evaluation once you file your case with the Regional Trial Court (RTC).
  • Prepare to pay court fees which is the sum total of the initial filing, sheriff’s, photocopying, postage, and notarization fees.  You also need to prepare your pocket for additional fees such as newspaper fees for the mandatory 3-week publication requirement, lawyer’s professional fees, pleading fees, and court appearance fees.



4 Apr 22

Filipinos who work or reside abroad whose PSA birth certificates have corrections need to have these addressed as soon as possible.  Inconsistencies in the details of your birth certificate can greatly affect your passport, immigration status, and validity of issued visas or travel permits.  When this happens, you might not be able to travel back to the Philippines or worse, you could get deported and have difficulty securing travel permits in the future.

We came across an article written by Joanne Go, a paralegal and office manager of FCB Law Office, published by Rappler last April 13, 2019.  She presented the 21-step process needed in order to apply corrections to a Pinoy migrant’s defective birth certificate.  This applies to Filipinos who are working or residing abroad but were born in the Philippines.  Since the process is quite long, we summarized it in this blog for everybody’s information and guidance:

OFW Birth Certificate Corrections (Migrant Corrections Through the Embassy)

According to Go, the Philippine embassy in the country where the Pinoy migrant is staying is the best option if the birth certificate needing correction is registered at that embassy.  However, if your birth certificate is registered in the Philippines, the embassy can only act as a middleman between the OFW or Pinoy migrant and the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) and the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA).

So if this happens to you (or your relative who is abroad), here’s what you can do:

  1. At the Embassy and the DFA

The birth certificate owner needs to submit the documents needed to support the correction he is requesting for, along with the fees that need to be paid.  The petition for correction will be posted and the applicant will be issued a Certificate of Posting.  The Consul General of that embassy shall forward the petition to the DFA in Manila and the DFA forwards the same to the Local Civil Registrar (LCR) where the birth certificate was originally registered.

2. At the Local Civil Registrar

As soon as the LCR receives the petition (from DFA Manila), they shall get in touch with the birth certificate owner for further instructions, including any additional fees he or she needs to pay.  A certificate of posting is likewise issued after all requirements have been fulfilled and the birth certificate owner receives the approved petition.  The approved petition is either claimed by the owner himself or by a duly authorized representative (if the owner could not personally appear at the LCR).

 The LCR mails the petition to the Office of the Civil Registrar General (OCRG) in Manila.

3. At the Office of the Civil Registrar General

The OCRG acts on the petition and then forwards the decision back to the LCR.  The LCR then issues the Certificate of Finality.

If the petition is approved, the LCR shall mail the OCRG all the supporting documents.  However, if the petition was denied, the LCR shall file a motion for reconsideration along with the new documents from the petitioner.

Tips when filing a petition for correction when the birth certificate owner is abroad:

  1. Find someone who can file the petition at the LCR on your behalf.

You must provide the person with a red-ribboned Special Power of Attorney (SPA).  This person shall now be authorized to represent you before the LCR and file all the necessary supporting documents that will be required depending on the error that needs to be corrected.

  1. Have your birth certificate and supporting documents reviewed and assessed by the LCR for completeness and veracity.

You (or your authorized representative) must proactively seek the LCR’s advise on the strength of the documents you submitted and how these documents can help support your petition for correction.  According to Go, if you follow the LCR’s advice, your petition has a better chance of getting approved.

  1. Follow up.

You can do this from abroad or have your representative regularly check with the LCR (as it is cheaper to call locally).  Probe for any progress on your filed petition and find out if there are other documents that are needed to help expedite the case.

When the petition is approved, bring it immediately to the PSA so that the necessary corrections would be annotated on your birth certificate.  If you fail to do this, your birth certificate will remain uncorrected.

We hope this article would be of help when you find yourself in a situation where you need to have some entries in your birth certificate corrected.  If you need a copy of your PSA birth certificate, you could actually order online and have it delivered to your preferred address (home or office).  Visit for more details.



4 Apr 15

Mayors of Metro Manila have set the speed limit to 60 kilometers per hour on main thoroughfares in the National Capital Region.  This applies to all types of vehicles, except buses and trucks.  Currently, the maximum allowable speed on national roads is 80kph.  According to the MMDA, the speed limit is being implemented as a means to address road mishaps and car crashes that could have been prevented if drivers were not going too fast.

The speed limit shall be strictly implemented in the following roads:

  1. Circumferential Roads
  • Recto Avenue
  • President Quirino Avenue
  • Araneta Avenue
  • EDSA
  • C.P. Garcia Avenue
  • Southeast Metro Manila Expressway
  1. Radial Roads
  • Roxas Boulevard
  • Taft Avenue
  • South Luzon Expressway
  • Shaw Boulevard
  • Ortigas Avenue
  • Magsaysay Boulevard/Aurora Boulevard
  • Quezon Avenue/Commonwealth Avenue
  • A. Bonifacio Avenue
  • Rizal Avenue
  • Delpan/Marcos/McArthur Highway

The MMDA said that the policy is technically effective five days after it was publicized last April 4 (Thursday).  They are still currently disseminating the information to all motorists and then will announce when it shall be enforced.

Upon official implementation, the MMDA shall fine drivers that will go beyond the said speed limit Php 1,000 for each apprehension.

This new policy does not include buses and trucks; the speed limit of which is still 50kph.

We shall update this blog as soon as the MMDA has announced that the speed limit is already officially implemented.

Do you agree that reducing the speed limit on national roads will help address car accidents in Metro Manila?





4 Apr 11

Most people think that the Social Security System (SSS) is only for employed individuals, whether working locally or abroad.  We need to know that self-employed people, regardless of his trade or business, must also be covered by the SSS.

Today’s blog will feature the SSS coverage for self-employed individuals.  If you are one of them and are not yet a member of the SSS, this article is for you.

Which workers are classified under Self-employed (SE) Coverage?

A self-employed person, regardless of trade, business, or occupation with an income of at least Php 2,000 a month and not over 60 years old, should register with the SSS.  These include:

  1. Self-employed professionals such as doctors, lawyers, engineers who run their own firms.
  2. Partners, single proprietors of businesses.
  3. Board Directors of Corporations duly registered with appropriate government agencies.
  4. Actors, actresses, directors, scriptwriters, and news correspondents who do not fall within the definition of the term “employee”.
  5. Professional athletes, coaches, trainers, and jockeys.
  6. Farmers and fisherfolks.
  7. Workers in the informal sector such as market and ambulant vendors.
  8. Public utility transport drivers, tourism industry-related workers, and others similarly situated.
  9. Contractual and job order personnel engaged by the government thru a contract of service and who are not coverable by the GSIS law.
  10. Any other self-employed person as determined by the Social Security Commission (SSC) under such rules and regulations that it may be prescribed.

How to register to the SSS:

  1. Accomplish and submit a Personal Record Form (SS Form E-1).
  2. If he/she has no existing SS number, SS Form E-1 should be submitted with the original/certified true copy and photocopy of any of the primary or any two of the secondary documents acceptable in securing SS number.

Primary documents (Only ONE is required):

  • PSA Birth Certificate
  • Baptismal Certificate
  • Passport
  • Driver’s License
  • Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) card
  • Seaman’s Book

Secondary Documents (in the absence of primary documents, submit TWO of the following):

  • Alien Certificate of Registration
  • ATM card with the cardholder’s name
  • ATM card and certification from the issuing bank that the account number belongs to the cardholder if the card does not bear the cardholder’s name.
  • Bank Account Passbook
  • Birth/Baptismal Certificate of children
  • Certificate from the:
    • Office of the Southern/Northern Cultural Communities
    • Office of Muslim Affairs
  • Certificate of Licensure/Qualification Document/Seafarer’s ID and Record Book from the Maritime Industry Authority
  • Certificate of Naturalization issued by the Bureau of Immigration
  • Company ID
  • Fisherman’s Card issued by the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR)
  • GSIS Card/Certificate of Membership
  • Health or Medical Card
  • ID Card issued by Local Government Units (e.g. Barangay/Municipality/City)
  • ID Card issued by professional organizations recognized by the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC)
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Marriage Contract
  • Membership card issued by private companies
  • NBI clearance
  • Overseas Workers’ Welfare Administration (OWWA) card
  • Pag-IBIG Member’s Data Form
  • Permit to carry firearms issued by the Firearms and Explosives Unit of the Philippine National Police (PNP)
  • PHIC Member’s Data Record
  • Police Clearance
  • Postal ID card
  • School ID
  • Seafarer’s Registration Certificate issued by the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA)
  • Senior Citizen Card
  • Tax Identification Number (TIN) card
  • Temporary License and Student Permit issued by the Land Transportation Office (LTO)
  • Transcript of School Records
  • Voter’s Identification Card/Affidavit
  1. A self-employed person who has employee/s should also register as an employer and secure an employer number by proper accomplishment and submission of Employer Registration (SS Form R-1) and Employment Report (SS Form R-1A).


Duties and responsibilities of a self-employed SS member:

  • Register with My.SSS at the SSS website: provided you have at least one month posted contribution.
  • To pay your contributions, log-in to your My.SSS account to secure your Personal Reference Number (PRN).
  • Pay contributions either monthly or quarterly in accordance with the prescribed schedule and deadline.
  • Keep your personal records updated and correct by submitting a completed SS Form E-4 together with the corresponding supporting document/s to avoid delays in the processing of benefit claims.
  • Pay your loans on time through the Member Loan Payment Return Form (SS Form ML-1) to avoid penalties and late payments.
  • Apply for a UMID card, if with at least one (1) posted monthly contribution, and always use the said card for SSS transactions.
  • Be aware of changes and improvements in the SSS policies and benefit structure so as to fully utilize your benefits.

For more details on SSS membership, you may send your questions and clarifications to or call the SSS hotlines at (02) 920-6446 or (02) 917-7777.



4 Apr 8

The DFA has recently announced that PSA birth certificates are no longer required when renewing your old passport.  While this is true, there are still special cases when you will still be asked to submit a copy of your birth certificate.

We summarized the list from DFA and are sharing it in today’s blog, for your quick reference:

  1. First-time passport applications.

One of the core requirements for FIRST-TIME passport applicants is an original copy of his or her PSA-authenticated Birth Certificate on Security Paper.  If you are a married female and you wish to use your husband’s last name in your passport, you also need to bring a copy of your PSA-authenticated Marriage Certificate.

  1. Lost or mutilated passports.
  1. Lost and VALID ePassport
  2. Lost and EXPIRED ePassport
  3. Mutilated Passport

These cases are treated as new passport application.  You need to bring a copy of your PSA birth certificate IF YOU COULD NOT PRODUCE A PHOTOCOPY OF YOUR LAST ISSUED PASSPORT.  But if you have a photocopy of your passport, you no longer need to bring your birth certificate.

  1. Applicants in the DFA watchlist.

This was included in the Bulletin released by the DFA in their website last January 15, 2019.

A person under the DFA watchlist will still be required to present a copy of his PSA birth certificate for reasons reserved to the agency.

  1. Renewal of old brown and green passports bearing no complete middle name.

This is a rare occurrence but it still happens to some passport holders.  If the DFA finds that your middle name may be incomplete, misspelled, or missing, you will be required to submit a copy of your PSA birth certificate to serve as a reference of your correct middle name.

  1. Renewals requiring changes in personal information.

Any change in your personal information that you wish to be applied upon the renewal of your passports, such as your last name or middle name, will have to be supported by a copy of your PSA birth certificate or marriage certificate.

The list was lifted from the Department of Foreign Affairs’ website and Facebook page.




4 Apr 5

Do you need financial assistance for your college education?  The Commission on Higher Education (CHED) accepts applications for their Student Financial Assistance Programs and this is offered to incoming college freshmen and college level students who will be enrolling for AY 2019-2020.

Below are the qualifications, requirements, and step-by-step process on how to avail of the StuFAP:

How do I Qualify?

An applicant must be:

  • An incoming freshman or college-level student;
  • A Filipino citizen;
  • Must be ONE of the following:
    • Senior high school graduate and/or candidate for graduation;
    • Passer of Senior High School ALS/PEPT, or
    • With earned units in college.
  • The family gross income must not exceed Three Hundred Thousand Pesos (Php 300,000.00).
  • The applicant must avail of only one CHED scholarship or financial assistance program;
  • He or she must not be a graduate of any degree program.

Take note that the CHEDRO StuFAPs committee shall determine the merits of the application and there are some highly exceptional cases where an application is considered even if the family’s income exceeds Php 300,000.00.

What are the documents I need to prepare?

  • Senior High School Graduate
    • Photocopy of grades in Grade 12 and original copy of the Certificate of General Weighted Average (GWA) from the principal.
  • Candidate for Graduation in Senior High School
    • Photocopy of grades in Grade 12 (1st semester) and original copy of the Certificate of General Weighted Average (GWA) from the principal.
    • Photocopy of grades in Grade 11 (1st and 2nd semesters) and original copy of the Certificate of General Weighted Average (GWA) from the principal.
  • Accreditation and Equivalency Test Passer (ALS)
    • Photocopy of Alternative Learning System (ALS) Accreditation and Equivalency Test Certificate/Certificate of Rating (Secondary Level) from the Department of Education (DepEd);
    • Photocopy of Diploma.
  • Philippine Educational Placement Test (PEPT) Passer
    • Photocopy of Certificate of Rating from DepEd;
    • Photocopy of Diploma
  • With Earned Units in College
    • Photocopy of grades in all subjects in completed semesters and Certification of Total General Weighted Average (GWA) from the registrar.

Other Documentary Requirements:

  1. Proof of Income (ANY of the following)
  • For children of OFWs and seafarers, a photocopy of any of the following:
    • The latest copy of the contract
    • Proof of income
  • For children of non-OFWs, a photocopy of ANY of the following:
    • Photocopy of the latest Income Tax Return of parents or guardian;
    • Certificate of Tax Exemption from the Bureau of Internal Revenue;
    • A case study from the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD);
    • Affidavit of No Income;
    • Certificate of Indigency from Barangay.
  1. Certificate of Good Moral Character from the last school attended, issued by the guidance counselor or principal.
  2. Additional Requirements for Applicants belonging to the following:
  • Rebel Returnees/Integrees
    • Authenticated certificate from the Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process (OPAPP).
  • Member of Indigenous and Ethnic Peoples
    • Certificate of Membership from either the Office of Muslim Affairs of the National Commission on Indigenous Peoples
  • Solo Parent
    • Affidavit duly executed by the applicant that he or she is a solo parent or a child of a solo parent with an attached certification from the DSWD worker in the area.
    • Certificate of Good Moral Character of the parent from the Barangay Chairman of the place of domicile.
    • Certificate of Good Health of the applicant.
    • PSA Birth Certificate of the applicant
    • ID of the solo parent (photocopy)
  • Differently-abled Persons (PWD)
    • Certification from the DSWD
  • Senior Citizens
    • Photocopy of the senior citizen’s ID

The CHED will accept applications until April 30, 2019 only.  For more information on the CHED StuFAP, you may contact:

Office of Student Development and Services

3/F HEDC Bldg., CP Garcia Ave., Quezon City

Tel No. 02-988-0001






4 Apr 4

A Tax Identification Number (TIN) is assigned to an individual who will soon be paying taxes, either as an employed or self-employed income-earner.  However, a lot of people are wondering if, as an unemployed individual, they too could apply for their TIN.

The answer is yes.

Under Executive Order 98 (E.O. 98), persons transacting with government offices may be issued a TIN should this be required of them.  Common examples of government agencies that require TIN are LTO, NBI, and DFA.  The person requesting for the TIN may or may not be employed, self-employed, or a licensed professional; he or she could be unemployed and still be given a TIN if the reason for application falls under the provisions of E.O. 98.

How to get a TIN if you are unemployed:

  1. Secure and fill out the BIR Form 1904. Make two copies – submit one copy to the BIR and have the other copy stamped received; keep this as your copy.
  2. Attach a copy of your PSA Birth Certificate or any document that bears your name, address, and birthdate.
  3. Submit the accomplished form and attachments to the RDO that has jurisdiction over the applicant’s residence.
  4. The BIR will advise you when you can come back to claim your TIN card.

Note: The BIR will check to confirm that you have not been issued a TIN in the past.  Remember that it is unlawful to be assigned two TINs – this is considered a criminal offense and is punishable pursuant to the National Internal Revenue Code of 1997.

Tomorrow we shall feature the steps you need to follow if you lose your TIN ID.

If you have questions about your TIN or tax payments, you may visit the website of the BIR at



This blog is sponsored by

Follow us on Facebook

Place your PSA birth certificate orders online at or through our FB Chat Messenger at

4 Apr 3

If you still do not have a Tax Identification Number, it’s high time you get one.  Every Filipino, whether employed or self-employed, must have a TIN.  Your TIN ID is a valid, government-issued ID that will never expire.

It has become easier to apply for a TIN ID card from the BIR because now, you can process it online!  Here are the guidelines, requirements, and steps on how to get a BIR TIN ID.


  • PSA Birth Certificate of applicant
  • One valid ID (especially if you already have an existing TIN but want to get the digitized ID card)


  • Bring the above requirements to the nearest BIR office in your area.
  • Fill out the TIN application form.
  • Submit your requirements and the duly filled out TIN application form to the counter and wait for your TIN.
  • After you have been issued a TIN, request to have a TIN ID Card.
  • You can get the ID on the same day as it can be processed in one hour.  However, during peak tax seasons, you might be requested to return the following day to claim your card.

 How to get a TIN ID Online?

Here is the best part!  You may now get a TIN online using the BIR eReg facility.  Here’s how:

  1. Log on to or
  2. Prepare a valid email address that you can access as this will be required in the registration process.  This is where the BIR will send your TIN registration status and confirmation. tin_number_using_bir_ereg
  3. In the BIR eReg page, key in the details required by the online form as shown above.  Double-check to make sure that all information are accurate.
  4. When all details are confirmed, click on SUBMIT.
  5. The BIR will send you an email regarding the issuance of your TIN.  Make sure to check your email regularly.  If you cannot find the mail in your Inbox, try checking your Spam folder too.

Take Note! You may apply for a Tax Identification Number online only if you have NEVER registered a TIN before.  It is unlawful to have more than one TIN.  Do not do this if you have been issued a TIN before.

Tomorrow we will teach you how to get a replacement for your lost or damaged TIN ID card and how to get a TIN if you are unemployed.

If you have questions about your TIN or tax payments, you may log on to the BIR website at




This blog is sponsored by

Follow us on Facebook

Place your PSA birth certificate orders online at or through our FB Chat Messenger at

%d bloggers like this: