The President intentionally signed the Expanded Maternity Leave Act on February 20, 2019, one day before it would have lapsed into law. That is good news!
What do we need to know about the new law? Read this:
Previously on Maternity Leaves:
- Female employees were entitled to 60 days of paid leave for normal delivery.
- Cesarean deliveries are allowed up to 78 days of paid leave.
- This is granted to all female employees, regardless of marital status, and applies even if the pregnancy did not reach its full term (miscarriage).
- The privilege may be enjoyed by a female employee until her fourth pregnancy, including miscarriages.
The Expanded Maternity Leave Act:
- The law grants 105 days of paid maternity leave to all employed mothers.
- With an option to extend the period for another 30 days without pay.
- Maternity leave will be granted to women at every instance of pregnancy.
We shall update this post as soon as the Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) have been released by the DOLE.
Let us know your thoughts on this news.