Top 10 Most Asked Questions About PSA Birth Certificates

Feb 08-a

Question: Can I apply for a passport even if my gender in my PSA birth certificate is wrong? I can have this corrected but that will take time. I already have an appointment with the DFA and I need my passport asap.

Answer: You may go ahead and appear at the DFA on the date of your appointment, bring all the required IDs and supporting documents as listed in the website.  You may be required by the DFA to submit an Affidavit of Undertaking in support of your claim that your birth certificate is undergoing a correction. Take note that the DFA may also simply advise you to come back when a copy of your birth certificate is already available.  It is up to you to explain to them why you still cannot execute a copy of the document.

Question: My wife and I will be accompanying our 3-year-old son for his passport application. Can we both access the priority lane so we can have our passports renewed at the same time?

The Priority Lanes at DFA offices are reserved for Senior Citizens, OFWs, PWDs, pregnant women, and children below 7 years old.  Only one companion is allowed to be with the applicant inside the DFA premises; only this companion may take advantage of the no-appointment privilege.

Question: My middle and last names were interchanged in my birth certificate so that my last name appears to be my middle name, and my middle name appears to be my last name.  What do I do? 

This can be corrected by filing a Petition for Correction at the LCR of the city or municipality where the birth was registered.  It would be wise to prepare copies of your parents’ PSA birth certificates as well to serve as supporting documents to your petition.

Question: When our daughter was born, we weren’t married yet.  We placed a false date of marriage in our daughter’s birth registration. Now we are already married, how do we correct the date of marriage in our child’s birth certificate?

Never, under any circumstance, place false information in your civil registry documents.  These types of cases need to be referred to a lawyer and may undergo a court proceeding.

Question: My child is 2 years old and is already registered at the LCR.  Can I add three more letters to his name when I get his PSA birth certificate?  Is there a fee for this and how much?

If the error is considered clerical (typographic error), you may simply file a petition for correction.  However, if the petitioner wants to “change” the name (in this case, add a few letters to the original name), you will be asked by the LCR why you wish to do so.  Your request may be granted (or denied!), depending on the veracity of your reason for changing the name.

Question: Will the DFA accept the LCR petition letter as proof that the spelling of my name in my birth certificate is already in process. I already have an appointment for passport interview.

No.  You will have to wait until your PSA birth certificate is made available.  The DFA will only accept birth certificates in PSA Security Paper.

Question: Can we apply for the late registration of birth certificate of a deceased person?  We need his birth certificate so we can claim the death benefits. 

You will have to explain to the LCR why you need to “late register” the birth of a deceased person.  Normally, this type of request is not allowed.

Question: I am scheduled to pick up my PSA birth certificate on February 13, 2018 between 1PM to 4PM at the Releasing Area, 5th floor of PSA Sta. Mesa. However, I can’t make it to Manila on the said date.  Is it okay if I pick it up after February 13?

Yes.  Requested PSA documents are kept on file for 30 days until the requesting party comes to claim the document.  PSA reserves the right to dispose of the documents if these remain unclaimed for more than 30 days.

Question: When I was 18 years old, I was “married” to my girlfriend who was only 17 years old then. We separated a few years later and I found out she got married to another man. I am planning to marry my partner too but when I requested for my CENOMAR, the details of my previous marriage are written on the document.  When I asked my ex, she said that her CENOMAR did not show the same.  What do I do?

In order for you to be allowed to remarry, your previous marriage must be dissolved by virtue of an annulment.  There is a huge possibility that your petition for an annulment will be easily granted because both you and your ex-wife were underage at the time you were supposedly married.

Question: I had my birth certificate “endorsed” by the LCR to the PSA.  How many days or weeks or months does it usually take before I am able to get a PSA copy of my birth certificate?

Normally, a week after you are given a copy of the finality an endorsement with the courier receipt by the LCR, you may begin following up at the PSA Sta. Mesa office, building 2.  Bring all the documents given to you by the LCR as proof of your transaction.

Chips And Nibblers (1)

Closet Queen


Published by MasterCitizen

I collect citizen facts and the usual stuff that might be important for a Pinoy's everyday life....Subscribe to get updates, opinions, and news.

21 thoughts on “Top 10 Most Asked Questions About PSA Birth Certificates

  1. Ask ko lang po kung ma claimed ko pa po yung bc ng anak ko sa psa qc?dapat po march last year kaso naabutan po ng pandemic di na po napuntahan
    By the way mau correction of name po yun at ok na siya iclaimed na lng po sana talaga
    Nasa akin pa po ang resibo
    Kung di na po peede iclaimed what to do po?

  2. good day po kukuha po sana ako ng BC ng baby ko po September 6 2020 ko po sya ipinanganak Makaka kuha na po ba ako sa psa mo nq BC nya po already registered narin nmn po sa Munisipyo.. need po kse sa simbahan papa binyag po ako ang kaso po Ang need is Certified true xerox copy or psa Kaya psa nalang po sana ang kukunin ko po

  3. My problem is. How can i register my son’s Birth Certificate who is now running 5 years old this coming May 2019. When i dont have any records from his immunization and baptismal. And also we, his parents aren’t yet married.

    1. Hi Help,

      You do not need records of his immunization or baptismal to register his birth.

      You only need to go to the LCR or municipal hall of your son’s birth place and have his birth registered. Be prepared to explain why you failed to register his birth within the 30-day period after you gave birth to him.


  4. My problem is. How can i register my son who is now running 5 years old this coming May 2019. When i dont have any records from his immunization and baptismal. And also we, his parents aren’t yet married.

  5. My problem is. How can i register my son who is now running 5 years old this coming May 2019. When i dont have any records from his immunization and baptismal. And also we, his parents aren’t yet married.

  6. Good day po,anv kaso ko po ay ganito.Ang dapat pong middle name ko eh de Vera(de Vera ang maiden surname ng mother ko),pero ng kunin ko sa NSO ang birth certificate ko eh Vega ang nakalagay na middle name,papaano po ito mai-co-correct?Salamat po!!!

  7. hello po baka naman po puede nyo kaming tulungan regarding sa prob po naing magkapati sa B. Cert. namin kasi ang niregister po ng parents namin is totally differ po sa gingamit namin ngaun . bale ang sinunod po nilang name po namin ay yong sa baptismal po namin. kayan naman po nangyare ung napakalaking pagkakamali sa b. cert. namin magkapatid ay dahil na confused ang mother namin sa susunding surname dahil nung time daw po na yon is parang on going ba yong pag pa process nung adoption papers ng tatay namin kasi legally adopted na sya ng tito at tita nya. .Actually po pag tinatanong naming ang nanay kung baket ganun ang nangyare sya man din ay naguluhan. at di ma explain ng in detailed kung baket ganun nangyare. pero kung ano po yong name namin magkaptid sa baptismal since po nun un na ang gmait namin maging sa school at sa mag kaasawa at mag ka anak kami . ngayon po gagawin namin. ? bale ang ginawa nga po ng mother namin para ma avail namin yong pension ng tatay sa SSS nung namatay sya is nagpagawa ang nanay ng affidavit declaring po na ung name namin sa b.cert at yong name na ginagamit namin ay isang tao lang kaya na approved naman po ng SSS . Nayon po sana hihingi kami ng tulong kung pano po gagawin namin para maitama ang B. Cert. namin at kung ano po talga un actual na ginagamit namin since ng binyagan kmi til now ang mailagay.


    1. Hi JGE,

      Ang buong pangalan niyo ba sa birth certificate at sa baptismal certificate ay magkaiba? Pati ba apelido?

      Kung ang nais na ninyo ay gamitin ang pangalan ninyo sa birth certificate (na siyang dapat dahil ito ang katibayan ng inyong kapanganakan, hindi ang baptismal certificate ninyo.), kailangan ninyong papalitan ang mga ID ninyo kung saan pangalan niyo sa baptismal ang nakalagay. Papalitan niyo ito gamit ang pangalan ninyo sa birth certificate.

      May mga asawa na ba kayo? Anong pangalan ang ginamit ninyo sa marriage certificate, yung pangalan ba sa birth o baptismal certificate?

      Kung baptismal certificate ang ginamit ninyo, baka kailanganin ninyo ng tulong ng abogado para maitama ang pangalan na nakasulat sa inyong marriage certificate.

      Kung ang gusto niyo naman ay ipabago yung pangalan niyo sa birth certificate, pati apelido, kakailanganin ninyo ang tulong ng isang abogado.


      1. Hello pde magtanong gnan din poh ung nem q ung sa pasport q iba nag nklgay sa apelyido sa NSO anu po dpt q gwin maam

      2. Hello po , yes po magkaiba po lahat as in fulname po is totally mag kaiba , MC, ang nais po sana naming magkapatid magkapatid at sundin ung sa baptismal namin dahil mula po ng binyagan kami hangang sa makapag asawa at magka anak gang ngaun yon na po ang ginagamit namin . lahat po ng documents na meron kmi ay yong fullname na gingamit namin is ung sa baptismal .

      3. Hi JGE,

        Kung change ng full name ang nais ninyong mangyari, kailangan ninyong mag consult sa isang abogado.

        Hindi kasi ito simpleng correction of entry lang na parang nagkamali lang sa spelling.

        Subukan ninyong mag inquire sa lawyer kung magkano ang aabutin para maisunod ang pangalan ninyo sa birth certificate sa pangalan ninyo na nakasulat sa baptismal certificate ninyo.


  8. Hi po. Itatanong ko lang po yung process sa correction of name. Wala po kasing 1st name ang birth cert ko. Sabi sa psa kailangan ko po ng supplemental report from civil registrar. Then bumalik po ako sa civil registrar para magpagawa ng affidavit of supplemental. Pero di po sila nagbibigay kasi daw po walang form o letter from psa. Pano po iyon? Pwede po bang sa attorney nalang ako magpagawa ng supplemental?

    1. Hi Amica,

      Magfa-file ka lang ng supplemental (hindi magpapagawa ng affidavit). Sabihin mo lang sa munisipyo na kailangan mong mag file ng supplemental report dahil walang first name na nakasulat sa birth certificate mo. Alam na nila yun.


      1. Hello po, ask ko lang kung ano ang gagawin ko kapag may problem sa birth certicate ko. Naka sulat kc sa birth certificate ko yong name ng tatay ko is RICK dapat sana RICARDO. Ano dapat kung gawin paki tulungan naman po ako. Salamat

  9. tanung ko lng po wala po kc middle name yung 2 anak ko nso na po yung birthcertificate nila nka apelido po sila sken ang middle name ko po santiago ganung din poba sa kanila at kung sakaling lakarin ko po ano ho ba ang mga kailangan ko may magagastos po ba at san flour po ako pupunta pareho po cla pinaganak sa tondo hospital

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: