Last July 2017, the Department of Labor and Employment launched a new ID system for OFWs called the I-DOLE. This ID allows OFWs to do away with the long and tedious process of applying for the Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC) that they need to secure in order prove their legitimacy as Filipino workers.
Apart from it working as an OEC, the I-DOLE also covers the following card functionalities:
- I-DOLE card holders may claim their benefits from the following government agencies through the I-DOLE card:
- HDMF or Pag-IBIG
- The DOLE also mentioned that they are working with the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on the possibility of having the I-DOLE cardfunction as a passport for the OFWs.
How does an OFW apply for an I-DOLE card?
The DOLE stated that OFWs need not apply for the said card as their department will be issuing the IDs based on the inventory of all bona fide OFWs from the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA). The IDs will be mailed to the OFW’s registered address. If you have not received your I-DOLE yet, you may follow these steps in availing one from the nearest DOLE office in your area.
- Go to the main office of DOLE or to any DOLE office branch nearest to your place.
- Bring 2 or more valid IDs as proof of your identification. All government IDs are considered valid.
- Upon reaching the DOLE’s office, advise the guard or any person-in-charge that you wish to secure an I-DOLE card.
- You may be asked to present your OEC as proof that you are applying for an I-DOLE for the first time.
- Your information will be processed and verified against the database to check if you are listed as a qualified OFW based on POEA’s listing.
- When successfully verified, your ID will be printed and your name will be called when your card is ready.
I-DOLE card application will also be made available online soon to allow OFWs abroad to submit their applications so that their IDs would be ready when they come home for a vacation.
For more information on the I-DOLE card, send us an email and we will do our best to find the answers for you.