New Passport Application Due to Name Change: Requirements and Processes

04 - 06 (1)

When a person changes his name, whether due to marriage, adoption, or corrections on birth certificate entries, the rest of his identification documents, such as passports, should also be updated.  Here is a list of name amendments allowed by Philippine laws and the specific requirements when applying for a new or renewed passport due to change in name.

  1. Change of name due to marriage.
  2. Change of surname of a legitimated child by virtue of a subsequent marriage of parents.
  3. Change of name due to adoption.
  4. Change of name due to death of spouse or annulment of marriage.
  5. Change of name due to divorce (valid only for those Filipinos who did not act as Plaintiff in the divorce proceedings, i.e. the Filipino spouse did not initiate the divorce proceedings; not valid for couples who were both Filipinos at the time of the marriage).
  6. Change of name as duly ordered by Philippine courts or the Civil Registrar General.

General Requirements

  1. Duly accomplished passport application form, typed or printed legibly in black or blue ink.
  2. Latest original passport and one photocopy of data page of passport (original will be returned).
  3. Proof that applicant has not applied for foreign citizenship, e.g. resident alien card.

Requirements for Change of Name DUE TO MARRIAGE:

  1. If marriage was solemnized in the Philippines, bring your PSA certified original copy and one photocopy or marriage certificate.  The original copy is for verification only and will be returned to the applicant. Applicant may order a copy of the PSA Marriage Certificate online at  Copies will be delivered to their address.
  2. Original and one photocopy of marriage certificate The original copy is for verification only and will be returned to the applicant. Applicant may order a copy of the PSA Marriage Certificate online at  Copies will be delivered to their address.
  3. If marriage was solemnized abroad, bring a duly accomplished Report of Marriage Contracted Abroad form.


  1. For widowed applicants, authenticated death certificate of husband, authenticated court order of presumptive death.
  2. If marriage was annulled, PSA Marriage Certificate, with annotation reflecting the annulment of marriage.  Applicant may have a copy delivered by ordering online at
  3. If applicant is divorced, submit an original and one photocopy of Divorce Decree (original will be returned).
  4. Number 3 is applicable only when the applicant is the Filipino spouse; if both parties were Filipino citizens at the time of marriage, this will not apply.

Requirement for change of name DUE TO LEGITIMATION UPON SUBSEQUENT MARRIAGE OF PARENTS (or as ordered by Philippine courts or by the Civil Registrar General):

Requirement for change of name DUE TO ADOPTION:

Changes in name allowed under Republic Act 9048:

These are changes in name entries that did not have to undergo a judicial order:

  • Correction of clerical or typographical errors in any entry in civil registry documents, except corrections involving the change in sex, age, nationality, and civil status of a person.
  • Change of a person’s first name in his/her civil registry document under certain grounds specified under the law through administrative process.



Chips And Nibblers (1)

Closet Queen


Published by MasterCitizen

I collect citizen facts and the usual stuff that might be important for a Pinoy's everyday life....Subscribe to get updates, opinions, and news.

35 thoughts on “New Passport Application Due to Name Change: Requirements and Processes

  1. can I apply new passport due to name and change of status pagkatapos ng divorce? bsta may divorce decree kahit walang judicial recognition sa pinas?

  2. Pwede po ba kong magpa change ng name sa passport due to marriage kahit po wla p kong i.d. n married name ko na ang gmit? Kasi s lhat ng i.d. ko po maiden name p dn nkalgay eh.

    1. Hi Rachelle,

      Basta’t may copy ka na ng PSA Marriage Certificate ninyo ng husband mo, pwede ka nang magpa bago ng last name sa passport.

      Take note that when you change your last name to your married name in your passport, hindi mo na ito maipapabalik pa ulit sa maiden name mo unless you execute annulment documents. A married woman has the option to keep her maiden name on her passport. But the moment na ipabago mo na ito, hindi mo na ito mapapalitan to your maiden name without an annulment.


  3. Hello po, expired na po passport ko last 2015 pa, gusto ko lng po sana kumuha ng panibagong passport using my maiden name, di kona po e rerenew yung expired passport ko na married name ng ex ko andon, wala na kasi kami communication about for po.. Pwede po ba maka apply ulit as new passport applicant?

    1. Hi China,

      Hangga’t walang annulment, hindi mo mapapapalitan ang pangalan mo sa passport mo. Kailangan ng proof na dissolved na ang kasal ninyo bago palitan ng DFA ang pangalan mo sa passport.

      Everytime na magpapa renew ka ng passport, married name mo pa din lagi ang ilalagay nila.


  4. Hi! Ask ko lang po kung pwede pa ipabago ang name ko sa passport ko. Mali kasi ang middle name ko sa birth certificate ko, ngaun ipapa-correct ko na. Kung macorrect ang middle name ko sa birth cert ko, pwede ko din ba ipabago yung sa passport ko para maging tama na din? (Yung maling surname ang nakalagay sa current passport ko.)

    Thank you!

  5. hI! I would like to renew my passport this coming Jan. 2018 since nag expire na cya last January 2017 but ikinasal ako July 2017. while booking for the online appointment inilagay ko married last name ko pro REQUEST REJECTED ang result. Can I do both in one trasaction lang? or need ko muna mag pa renew passport and then change name due to marriage? nalilito kc ako. thanks sa response. 🙂

  6. Hi,

    My wife is renewing her passport on Jan 2018. Her old passport is still in her maiden name.

    She has already booked here appointment using her new surname.

    Does she just show up on appointment date with our Original Local civil registrar Marriage Certificate + the PSA copy and they will make a new passport with her new surname?

    Thanks a lot.

  7. ask ko lang po kung pwd b ako kumha ng panibgong passport ko’ kc dti kc ung nagamit ko sa dting passport! ay apelydo ng father ko ngaun po nag palost passport aq ang ngyari sa nso ko apelydo po ng mother ko ung na regstrd ng nso! anu po b dpat qng gwn mkakuha b kya aq ng panibgng pass port na apelydo ng mother ko!?

  8. Good pm po! I would like to ask about my passport renewal and change of status due to marraige. Ang asawa ko po ay Filipino citizen by birth and nagpunta siya ng Canada at age 30 at naging citizen po siya doon till now. ano po bang ilagay ko na citizenship niya po doon sa application form ko? pwede po bang FILIPINO lang o FILIPINO-CANADIAN? Pls help po. tnx much po and more power.

  9. Ma’am tanong qoh lang po,more than ten years n kaming hiwalay ng asawa ko pero yung apelyido p rin po niya ang gamit ko sa passport ko,gusto ko po sana na gamitin nna yung maiden name ko anu poh ba ang dapat n gawin at anu po ang mga kailangan n papers ang kailangan n iprovide

  10. Sir/madam, what if upon verification the NSO issued mo a Certificate of No Marriage? Can this be sufficient document for me to apply for renewal of my passport with my maiden name in it? I am already separated from my husband for 19 years. Further my previous passport was still in my maiden name. Thank you

    1. Hi Maria Flora,

      If your old passport is still in your maiden name, you can simply renew it and still use your maiden name.

      As long as you never used your married name in your passport before, there is no need to present any document to prove that you are no longer married.


  11. Hi mg renew po ako Ng passport ko,gusto ko po change status from married to single,pero Wala po sko record of marriage,ano PO mga requirement?para mabalik sa single Ang passport ko?Thank you po.God Bless.

    1. Hi Jin Jin,

      Kailangan mong mag pakita ng proof na napawalang bisa na ang kasal mo. Kailangan mo ang kopya ng court decree ng iyong annulment, pag nag apply ka ng panibagong passport.


  12. Good afternoon po MC, first time applicant po ako para sa passport ang meron po ako sss unified ID, temporary drivers license, pagibig loyalty card, police clearance, brgy clearance at cedula pwede na po ba yun? please reply po ksi po naka book na kmi pa hongkong..salamat po ng marami

  13. renewal po…. (gamit ko pa ung surname ng late hubby ko) .. pag nag renew po ba ako pede ko na pa change sa bago kung husband?

  14. hi MC. just wan to ask.. namatay na kasi ung unang husband ko and nag asawa na ulit ako.. , I have Death Certificate -NSO and MC ng new husband ko. pag nag renew po ba ako pede na ko magpalit ng surname

      1. meaning po ba example from SAN juaN (surname ng late hubby ko ) to San PEDRo (new hubby) ano po dapat kung gawin… mag change status muna or direct na po ako mag change surname? salamat

      2. renewal po…. (gamit ko pa ung surname ng late hubby ko) .. pag nag renew po ba ako pede ko na pa change sa bago kung husband?

  15. I went to DFA to change my name due to marriage
    I completed all my requirements but CFO,they said i need to secure a copy of it since my husband is a foriegner..
    Anyways i’m not applying for visa nor plans to go put of country i just want to changed/update all my government valod i’s…
    They refuse like 2x
    The bad part is u have to go to CEBU OR MANILA to get that CFO u have to attend a seminar for a day…
    So much hassle…

    1. It is necessary, because the CFO is the government organisation for Filipinos who will be migrating permanently OR might do so in the future. The POEA is the one for OFWs because they are abroad because of their jobs, and can still come back especially if they quit or get terminated.

      Look at it this way: even if you don’t have any intentions of going there, there might come a time when your spouse might want to go back to his country. Of course, as his spouse, you will have to go with him.

      I myself am married to a foreigner and was able to get my passport updated to my married name. Of course, if the CFO office is far from your hometown, you will have no choice but to go to either Manila or Cebu.

      BUT, do you know that you can keep your maiden name, anyway?

      As per the New Civil Code of the Philippines:

      “Art. 370. A married woman may use:

      (1) Her maiden first name and surname and add her husband’s surname, or

      (2) Her maiden first name and her husband’s surname or

      (3) Her husband’s full name, but prefixing a word indicating that she is his wife, such as ”Mrs.””

      Of course, when travelling abroad, a CFO certificate might be required by the immigration officer if you are travelling with your husband. So, you may still have to get it in the end.


      1. Thank you for sharing these information Ma’am! We’re sure it will help our readers understand the policies on changing last names especially on government IDs and documents. Salamat po!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: