Passport Application Process: How to Apply for an Illegitimate Child’s Passport


Applying for your child’s first passport is one of the most important things you need to accomplish after securing the certification of his birth certificate and before he begins with school.  The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) prioritizes passport applications for children aged 7 years old and below.  Parents no longer need to secure an appointment in order to be accommodated; they will be attended to as long as they have the complete set of documents needed for passport application.  We released a blog on the list of requirements and processes involved when applying for a minor’s passport.

But what if the minor applicant is an illegitimate child?  Is there a different set of documentary requirements that the parent or parents need to prepare?  In the absence of the mother, can the father apply for the child’s passport?  What if the child’s mother is a minor as well, will the DFA honor her application for her child’s passport?

We ran a research on this specific subject on passport applications and would like to share what we gathered from the DFA website and other related sources.

General requirements for illegitimate minor applicants:

  1. Personal appearance of the minor applicant.
  2. Personal appearance of child’s mother and her valid IDs or valid passport.  If the child’s mother resides abroad, the applicant’s guardian must present the following:
    • Affidavit of Support and Consent.
    • Special Power of Attorney authenticated by the Philippine Embassy in the country where the mother resides.
    • If the mother is in the Philippines, she must appear before the DFA office in order for the passport application to be processed.  The above supporting documents are applicable only if the child’s guardians can show proof that the mother is residing abroad.
  3. If the child’s mother is likewise a minor:
    • Personal appearance of child’s mother (who is a minor) and the child’s maternal grandparent/s.
    • PSA Birth Certificate of minor applicant and mother (who is a minor).
    • Affidavit of Support and Consent executed by the maternal grandparent/s indicating the name of the traveling companion.
    • DSWD clearance if the minor child will be traveling with the person other than the maternal grandparents.
    • Proof of identity of mother and maternal grandparent/s.
  4. Original birth certificate of minor in Security Paper issued by the PSA or Certified True Copy of Birth Certificate issued by the Local Civil Registrar and duly authenticated by the PSA.
    • Transcribed Birth Certificate from the LCR is required when entries in the PSA Birth Certificate are blurry or unreadable.
    • Report of birth duly authenticated by PSA is required if minor was born abroad.
  5. Document of identity with photo, if the minor is 8-17 years old (for first time and renewal applicant) such as School ID or Form 137 with readable dry seal.
  6. For minor applicants who never attended school, a Notarized Affidavit of Explanation executed by the mother detailing the reasons why the child is not in school.
  7. Original and photocopy of valid passport of the person traveling with the minor.

Clearly, the only instance when the DFA would entertain passport applications for illegitimate minors filed by a person other than his mother is if the mother is not in the Philippines.  Otherwise, only the child’s mother may transact with the DFA in order to obtain a passport for the illegitimate child.

If the child’s mother is also a minor or is physically or mentally impaired, the child’s maternal grandparents are next in line as authorized individuals to apply for the minor child’s passport.


Chips And Nibblers (1)

Closet Queen



Published by MasterCitizen

I collect citizen facts and the usual stuff that might be important for a Pinoy's everyday life....Subscribe to get updates, opinions, and news.

71 thoughts on “Passport Application Process: How to Apply for an Illegitimate Child’s Passport

    1. Hi Jacqueline,

      Adult Renewal Application of e-Passport


      Confirmed Online Appointment
      Accomplished Application Form
      Personal appearance
      Current ePassport with a photocopy of the data page.
      Any of the following valid IDs with one photocopy
      Original PSA authenticated documents that will support the change of name:
      Marriage Contract
      Annotated Birth Certificate
      Annotated Marriage Contract to show annulment/divorce/court ordered instruction.
      Death Certificate of Spouse
      If you are a married female applicant yet you wish to retain your maiden name in your passport, your PSA Marriage Certificate is NOT required.

      Additional requirements may be required. Please refer to the section below for additional requirements for Adult Renewal Applications.


      Social Security System (SSS)/Government Service Insurance System (GSIS) Unified Multi-purpose Identification (UMID) card.
      Land Transportation Office (LTO) Driver’s License. Student Permit may be accepted if in card format.
      Professional Regulatory Commission (PRC) ID.
      Overseas Workers’ Welfare Administration (OWWA)/Integrated Department of Labor and Employment (iDOLE) card.
      Commission on Elections (COMELEC) Voter’s ID or Voter’s Certification from the Election Officer with Dry Seal.
      Philippine National Police (PNP) Firearms License.
      Senior Citizen ID
      Airman License (issued August 2016 onwards)
      School ID (if applicable)
      Current Valid ePassport (for renewal of ePassport)
      For applicants based overseas, they may use their host government-issued IDs showing their Philippine citizenship (ex: Residence Card).

      In addition to the core requirements, the following supporting documents will be further required for the following cases:

      Lost VALID ePassport will be treated as NEW APPLICATION.
      Online appointment is STILL required.
      If the photocopy of the applicant’s last issued passport is available, the Birth Certificate will NOT be required. Otherwise, you have to bring your PSA birth certificate.
      Police report in English (original and photocopy)
      Affidavit of Loss in English (original and photocopy)
      Penalty fee: Php 350.00
      Additional 15 days clearing period for LOST, VALID passports.
      Lost EXPIRED ePassport will be treated as NEW APPLICATION.
      Online appointment is STILL required.
      If a photocopy of the applicant’s last issue passport is available, the PSA birth certificate will NOT be required. Otherwise, you have to bring your PSA birth certificate.
      Affidavit of Loss in English
      Penalty fee: Php 350.00
      Renewal of FREQUENTLY LOST PASSPORT will be treated as NEW APPLICATION
      The online appointment still required.
      Police Report in English
      Affidavit of Loss in English
      Penalty fee: Php 350.00
      In case of applicant used a Travel Document to travel back to the Philippines – will be treated as NEW APPLICATION
      Online appointment is still required.
      Original travel document
      Affidavit of Explanation
      In case of applicant lost the Travel Document used to travel back to the Philippines – will be treated as NEW APPLICATION
      The online appointment still required.
      Original Travel Records from the Bureau of Immigration
      Affidavit of Explanation
      In case passport has been MUTILATED or DAMAGED – will be treated as NEW APPLICATION.
      Online appointment is still required.
      Affidavit of Explanation
      Applicant must surrender the mutilated/damaged passport
      Penalty fee: Php 350.00
      In case the applicant is a Dual Citizen (in addition to the Renewal Core Requirements)
      Online appointment is still required.
      Government-issued IDs (refer to valid Philippine Government-issued IDs or their secondary citizenship/residence counterparts.)
      Report of Birth OR Identification Certificate issued by the Philippine Consulate or the Bureau of Immigration.
      In case the applicant is a Filipino citizen by Election (in addition to the Renewal Core Requirements).
      Affidavit of Election of Philippine Citizenship
      Identification Certificate of Election from Bureau of Immigration
      In case the applicant is a Naturalized Citizen (in addition to the Renewal Core Requirements)
      Identification Certificate of Naturalization from the Bureau of Immigration.

  1. Hi, pano po mag apply ang stepson ko ng passport he is 13 yrs old na po and nasa poder ng husband ko eversince iniwan ng nanay noong baby pa sya. We dont have any communication with the mother. Pls help thank u

  2. Hello poh ask ko lang kong pwede ba akong makakuha ng passport sa anak kong 7yrs old kahit ang apelyido niya is sa father niya pero hindi kami kasal at its almost 4yrs ng nelignect kami ng father ng anak ko

    1. Hi Catherine,

      Yes, as the mother of the child, ikaw ang may right sa custody ng anak mo. So pwedeng pwede na ikaw ang kasama niya sa pag kuha ng passport.

      Kailangan physically present ka pag nag apply ang anak mo ng passport niya.


  3. Hi po! Single mom here.the father signed at the back of the BC which now my daughter used his family ang gustosana namin mag apply ng passport ng bata using my surname para makabisita sya sa country ng papa nya without questions under shariah law kasi ang bansa kaya big no no na gamitin nya family name ng father nya.pls advice us whatto do.tnx

  4. Question

    Wala pong middle name yung birth cert ko pero sa mga ids’s ko meron. Im using my mothers last name kasi illegitimate ako. Tapos yung middle name na meron ako sa id’s ay sa mother ko din. Magiging issue ba yun sa pag apply ng passport?

    1. Hi Reymond,

      Yes, that will be an issue kung wala kang mapre-present na ID na blank ang middle name mo.

      You should not be using your mom’s middle name kasi that would mean na magkapatid kayo, hindi mag-ina.

      Illegitimate children really do not have middle names, you should not be using her middle name.

      DFA will follow the name that is written in your birth certificate. Prepare valid IDs that match the name on your birth certificate para hindi ka na ma-question ng DFA.


  5. Hi po! Ask ko lang po sana Is it possible na apelyido ko ang dalhin nya sa passport ng baby ko 6 yrs.old illigetimate but acknowledge by father PSA nya gamit apelyido ng tatay.tnx po

      1. Hello po master.. Tanong Lang po ako kasi yung psa birth ko po at Walang last name. Pero meron pong acknowledge of May father at the second page.pero d kuna po alam Kung saan na po cla kasi wala na poh kming communication. Ano po ung Pwedi Kung gawin para maka Kuha po ako Nang passport. Kasi naka pag appoint na po ako e di daw po pwedi pero lahat Kong pong I’d ay family name bang father ko po ang gamit ko.

      2. Hi Angelica,

        Kung may acknowledgment naman ang father mo sa birth certificate mo, okay lang na gamitin mo ang last name niya.

        Yung walang first name na nakasulat sa birth certificate mo ang problema. Kailangan mong mag file ng Supplemental Report sa LCR kung saan naka rehistro ang birth certificate mo.

        1. Submit a copy of the child’s PSA birth certificate with the missing name details to the Local Civil Registry office where the child’s birth was registered.

        2. Include copies of the child’s other identification documents such as school IDs, baptismal certificate, photos, etc.

        3. The LCR will forward a petition to the PSA for review and approval. Meanwhile, the parents shall publish a notice of the case in newspapers and run this for two weeks.

        4. The parents may also be required to file an affidavit explaining the reason for the missing entries.

        Once the petition is approved by the PSA, the child’s birth certificate shall be duly annotated with the correct first, middle, or last name and the parents can request for the first corrected copy of the birth certificate at the PSA main office.

        This type of correction takes about three to four months to complete.

  6. Pag lost valid passport po ba sa DFA Aseana po need kumuha ulit ng passport or pwede po kahit saang DFA branch?

  7. Hi..just wanna ask kung pwede ba mkaapply ng passport yun daughter, she’s minor but acknowledged by father.. Pwede ba papa nalang ang kasama nya SA pagkuha ng passport.. Kc wala aq SA pinas?..please help thanks

  8. Goodevening po. Papano po if ung name ko sa birth certificate e tatlo tpos ung sa id ko dalawa lng? tpos ung baptismal ko nmn po eh ang apelyido ko sa papa ko, hindi sila kasal ng mama ko sa pinagawan ako ng bagong birth certificate ng lola ko gamit apelyido ng mama ko. panu po yun?tagal ko na gsto kumuha ng passport kaso yan problem ko. Sana po my mkatulong. Thanks.

  9. Good pm master citizen. . Ask ko lang po .gusto ko po sanang kunan ng passport ang anak ko 4months old pa lng po sya. .kaso po naka apelyedo po sakin at middle name nya ay middle name ko din… Malaysian kasi father ng baby ko at hindi pa kami kasal pero suportado naman ang bata..Ano po dapat ko dalhin requirements para makakuha nang passport para sa baby ko… .. ??
    Maraming salamat

  10. Kay question po ako. Anong gagawin ko kasi nag apply ako para kumuha by passport pero last name ng papa ko Yung nalagay pero illegitimate ako.. at Yung sa birthcertificate ko ay last name ng mom ko. Ano po ba requirements since papa ko Yung kasama ko at Hindi mama?

  11. Hello po. Tanong ko lang po kahit po ba 10 months old palang ang baby ko kailan pa po ba ng notarized affidavit why the child is not in school? Maraming salamat po.

  12. hello po panu poh ba kuhanan ng passport ang five years old panu poh pag single parent ka saka kelangan pa poh ba ng perma ng tatay kahit hiwalay na po kau saka di poh kau kasal pero naka apelyedo poh sa tatay ung apelyedo ng anak mu..ano poh mga need thanks po

  13. Hi master ung bata 17yrs old n, ung nanay since 2 yrs old hiwalay na at hindi po kasal pnu po makkakuha ung bata ng passport tnx po

  14. I am a single dad, and i have 2 illegitimate children a 12 year old daughter and a 10 year old son who are living with me since birth. They are using my surname as acknowledge by me on theri birth cerificate Their mother passed away in 2014. Maternal grandparents are dead too. What would be the requirements for passport applications? What affidavits will i bring? Salamat po

    1. Hi Joseph,

      Apart from your and your children’s birth certificates, you need to bring a copy of their mom’s death certificate too.

      Proceed to the DSWD and secure an affidavit for legal guardianship. Include this in your documents to be submitted to the DFA when you apply for your children’s passports.


  15. Sir ask lng po. bago lng po ba ung prioritizing nila na ngaappear sa site ng dfa pag magpapaappointment sa knla,,un pong no need na ng appointment for 7 yrs old and below? walk-in nlng po tlg? bukas po kc balak po namin mgaapply just to make sure lng po para d po masayang lakad po namin. ty po

  16. Hi po..ask ko lng po Hindi kami kasal. ung panganay ko 19 years old ..apilyedo ko po ang nasa birth certificate at may perma ng AMA at ung pangalawa 18 at 13 years nasa apilyedo ng ama nila kaya lng po nilagyan ng date and place of marriage ang birth certificate nila peo Hindi kami kasal..itatanong ko lng kung anong gagawin ko po para maka kuha ng passport..salamat po?

    1. Hi Mylah,

      Passport ba ng mga anak mo ang kukunin? Okay lang naman basta’t kasama ka pag nag apply sila ng passport.

      Wala din naman problema kung ikaw ang kukuha ng passport for yourself. Basta’t hindi mo gagamitin ang apelido ng tatay ng mga anak mo.


  17. hi sa solo parent no need na daw po ba onliine appointment for renewal as long na may solo parent id true po ba

    1. at yung bata po edad 8. hindi kasal ang mga magulang. 3 mos palang yung baby hiwalay na sila. bale yung tita nya po ang nag aalaga sa kanya ngayon

      1. hindi po sila kasal after 3 months ng panganganak umalis na po ung nanay wala na kaming balita sa kanya. Thank you for replying po.

  18. Hello, andito po ako sa dubai my isang anak na 7 months old at hindi kasal pero my son is using my surname as per his birth certificate. Sa passport application kailangan pa din po ba ng dfa ang affidavit of paternity? Thanks

    1. Hi Jerwin,

      Kung ang kasama ng bata na mag file ng passport ay ang nanay niya, hindi na required ang mga affidavit. Passport lang ng mother at birth certificate ng bata, pwede na.

      Pero kung ikaw ang kasama ng bata sa application at hindi kayo kasal ng nanay ng anak mo, kailangan mo ng legal guardianship documents mula sa DSWD (actually, hindi affidavit of paternity ang kailangan mo dahil naka pirma ka naman sa birth certificate ng anak mo).


  19. Magandang hapon po MasterCitizen. Single parent po ako, naka apelyido po sa akin ung anak ko mag 3 yrs old na po sia etong october. Ask ko lang po kung ano ang mga documents aside sa bc ng anak ko at passport ko ang kailangan para po sa pag process ng pasport nia. Para po sana bago kami pumunta sa dfa kumpleto na po ang daladala kong mga documents.
    Sna po ay matugunan nio po ang aking katanungan. Maraming salamat po


  20. Hi, ask ko lang po paano po kung wala na po communication ang illegitimate minor child sa kanyang mother at ang kanyang father lang na nasa abroad ang sumusuporta sa kanya, ano po ba ang mga documents need dalin sa DFA para po makakuha cia ng passport? maari po ba ang Lola lang nya po na tumatayong guardian ang isama nya sa pagpunta po sa DFA?

      1. Hi po, ang mga age po ng bata ay 9 at 15 y/o po. Hindi po kasal ang parents at wala na po communication sa Mother nila.
        Maari po ba ang Father lang nila ang kasamang kukuha ng passport sa DFA kelangan pa po ba magdala ng Affidavit of Illegitimacy or Affidavit of SUPPORT
        & CONSENT po?

  21. Hi!.gusto ko lang po sana itanong..
    pwede po bang yung father ng anak ko ang manguha ng passport ng baby namin,hindi po kami kasal nung pinganak yung baby ko at sknya po nakaapelyido yung bata,pero 6 months na po kaming kasal ngayon at nandito po ako sa abroad,kailangan pa po ng consent ko kahit kasal na kami ng father nya.thank you

  22. Hello Master, itatanong ko lang po kung paano gagawin kung wrong spelling ang first name ko sa birth certificate ng daughter ko since illegitimate sya pero acknowledged by father naman. Since ang sabi nyo po:

    ‘Otherwise, only the child’s mother may transact with the DFA in order to obtain a passport for the illegitimate child.”

    Iba po yung first name ko sa mga valid id’s ko at sa birth certificate nya

    Ano po ba ang requirements sa pagprocess for correction of my first name on my ‘daughters birth certificate? Maraming Salamat Po.

    1. Hi Hachi,

      You may file for petition for correction of clerical error sa munisipyo kung saan naka rehistro ang birth certificate ng anak mo. Magdala ng copy ng birth certificate mo as her mother, and other IDs to show the correct spelling of your name.


  23. Good Pm Master Citizen, ask ko lang kung paano ko maayos yung birth certificate ko. pinanganak ako sa bahrain then kukuha dapat ako ng new passport ko tapos mali naman yung buong name ko sa birth certificate ko at yung gender ko FEMAlE nakalagay at fathers information mali din. super dame ng error, posible pa po ba maayos yun? ilang yrs ko na din inaayos pero kung saan saan lang ako pinapasa ng DFA at NSO. hope na matulungan nyo ko thank you.

    On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 11:57 AM, MasterCitizen’s Blog wrote:

    > MasterCitizen posted: ” Applying for your child’s first passport is one of > the most important things you need to accomplish after securing the > certification of his birth certificate and before he begins with school. > The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) prioritizes passport ” >

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: