One of the most common questions we receive from our readers is regarding the benefits that an OFW may expect from the Overseas Workers’ Welfare Administration (OWWA) after they have lost their physical capacity to work abroad. Similar with local private and government employees based in the country, an OFW must be protected by an insurance that will cover his and his family’s needs in the event that he could no longer perform his tasks as an OFW. The OWWA handles this for Pinoys working on contract abroad.
Here are the lists of social benefits that OWWA members can look forward to as well as the documentary requirements needed when claiming these benefits. These were lifted from the OWWA website as well as other online materials related to the subject:
What is OWWA?
The OWWA is an attached agency of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) and a membership institution. OFWs are encouraged to apply for membership at the OWWA. They can either enroll through the POEA upon processing of their contract or as voluntary members while waiting for an opportunity to work abroad. Each OWWA applicant pays a membership contribution of USD 25.00 to make their membership effective.
What are OWWA’s Benefits for Overseas Filipino Workers?
OWWA members are covered with life insurance for the duration of their employment contracts.
Disability and Dismemberment Benefit
A member shall be entitled to disability/dismemberment benefits ranging from Php 2,000.00 to Php 50,000.00 for partial disability. In case of total permanent disability, a member is entitled to Php 100,000.00.
Death and Burial Benefits
Death benefits include Php 100,000 for deaths due to natural causes and Php 200,000.00 for death due to accident. On top of the death benefit, the legal heirs shall also be entitled to Php 20,000 as funeral expense assistance.
What are the Requirements when Claiming these Benefits?
For Life Insurance, Disability, Dismemberment, and Burial Benefits:
- Passport (for land-based OFW), and Seaman’s Service Record Book (for Sea-based OFW).
- Certificate of Membership issued by the OWWA Membership Processing Center (MPC).
- OFW/Seaman’s undertaking executed by claimant (for Death Claim).
Documentary Requirements for Life Insurance Benefits:
- Original Death Certificate issued by LCR or Authenticated by Philippine Statistics Authority or Foreign Death Certificate for OFW who died abroad and accident report for death due to accident.
- Burial Permit
- Official receipt of funeral expenses.
- ID picture of claimant
- Any of the following applicable documents certified by LCR or PSA:
- In the absence of birth/marriage certificate, the following must be submitted:
- Certificate from LCR that fact of marriage/birth is not recorded in the civil registry.
- Baptismal/marriage certificate certified by the Parish priest/office.
- Affidavit of two (2) disinterested persons re: facts of birth/marriage and claimant’s relationship to the deceased.
Documentary Requirements for Disability Benefit
- Foreign medical certificate
- Medical certificate issued by the local attending physician with medical examination procedure, (e.g. x-ray, MRI, CT scan)
- Accident report
Any 2 (original and valid copy) of the following:
- Office ID
- Postal ID
- Driver’s License
- Original NBI clearance
- Senior Citizen’s ID