The Manila City Hall Series: How to File for Correction of Clerical Error on the First Name Under RA 9048 (Not Married Individuals)

Manila City Hall_11

A misspelled first name on your birth certificate can be detrimental to important transactions like applying for a passport or claiming an inheritance.  If you have a couple of letters missing or added to your first name, have it corrected as soon as you can.

Here are the list of requirements and steps to follow when filing a petition for correction of a misspelled first name for single individuals (not married):


  1. 2 copies of PSA birth certificate (formerly NSO) to be corrected.
  2. 2 copies of baptismal certificate.
  3. 2 copies of school records (Elementary and High School either F-137/138 or Certification or College (Transcript of Records).
  4. 2 certified copies of voter’s registration record/voter’s affidavit (COMELEC).
  5. 2 latest original NBI Clearance (purpose: For Change of Name)
  6. 2 latest original PNP Clearance (purpose: For Change of Name)
  7. 2 copies of valid IDs of the petitioner and the document owner and 1 copy of latest community tax certificate from the place of work or residence.
  8. Other documents which the Office may consider relevant and necessary for the approval of the Petition (GSIS/SSS Records, school diploma, medical records, business records, school records, service records, insurance, certificate of land title, passbook, etc.)
  9. SPA (Special Power of Attorney), if the petitioner is not the document owner (ex. auntie, uncle, godparents, client, friend, colleague, etc.)

Reminders and Fees:

  1. All civil documents (birth, marriage, and death) to be submitted should be the latest certified local copy when issued in Manila.  If issued outside Manila, present the PSA birth certificate (on PSA Security Paper).
  2. Submit all requirements to R.A. 9048 receiving table for assessment and initial interview.  Please bring all original documents and IDs and proceed to Table 1.
  3. Proceed to the Computer Table for the preparation of Petition Paper.
  4. Line up for the final interview.  The city hall follows a first-come, first-served policy for interviews.
  5. Proceed to Room 214 (City Legal’s Office) to have the petition notarized.
  6. Pay the following fees at the Tax Payer’s Lounge:
    • Registration Fee – P1,000
    • True Copy Fee – P230
    • Transmittal Fee – P210
  7. Receiving and filing of petition paper and all documents.  You may also secure a schedule for follow-ups at Table 3.

The City Hall of Manila does not conduct interviews during Fridays.




Published by MasterCitizen

I collect citizen facts and the usual stuff that might be important for a Pinoy's everyday life....Subscribe to get updates, opinions, and news.

32 thoughts on “The Manila City Hall Series: How to File for Correction of Clerical Error on the First Name Under RA 9048 (Not Married Individuals)

  1. Good day po ask ko lang po kasi po yung papers po namin na pinaayos ko po sa bicol ay ok na po kaso pinasa po sa main…sabi daw po kami pa po ang pupunta ng main para po maverify kung pde na kuhanin sa NSO.Di ba po pde kami na lng ang mag verify sa lipa..taga batangas po kasi. Salamat po God bless..

  2. gudnn.. ask ko lng po. about s marriage contract kase po ang birth certificate araceli sa marriage po ay arceli so kulang po ng letter pano ko po aayuain salamat

  3. Panu po kaya ang gagawin pag ang middle name ang may problema ang nsa ID’s ko po ay LURILLA pro nang mkita po ang PSA record q ay LURILLIA pati po yung nasa birth certificate q n galing sa City Hall….hindi po tuloy aq nakapagrenew ng passport.. please po tulungan nyo aq kng anu pede gawin..asap thanks po

  4. Hi. Ask ko lang po kasi yung anak ko sa pagka dalaga..ang gamit na apelyido eh apelyido ko.. eh mag aasawa na po ako ulit..paano po ilipat sa ank ko yung apelyido ng mapapangasawa ko..kasi gusto nya dalhin ng bata ang apelyido nya

    1. Hi HOneyleen,

      Narito ang mga requirements at proseso sa pagpapa-correct ng maling birthdate sa birth certificate. Ito ay applicable kung sa Manila City Hall ka magpapa correct. May mga requirements na maaaring madagdag o mabawas depende sa munisipyo kung saan ka mag file ng correction:

      (a). One (1) latest certified machine copy and one (1) photocopy of the birth certificate to be corrected issued by the Manila Civil Registrar.
      (b). One (1) latest NSO copy and one (1) photocopy of the birth certificate to be corrected.
      (c). One (1) original and one (1) photocopy of the following documents:

      1. Elementary school records (Form 137/school certification). In case the petitioner/document owner never entered school, an affidavit attesting to this fact shall be submitted.

      2. Medical records issued by the hospital or clinic where the certificate owner was born. In case the hospital or clinic is no longer operating, the petitioner must submit an affidavit attesting to this fact.

      3. Baptismal certificate and other documents issued by religious authorities. In case where the petitioner/document owner has no baptismal certificate or similar documents, an affidavit attesting to this fact shall be submitted.

      4. If the petitioner/document owner is employed, submit a certificate of employment, indicating that the same does not have pending administrative cases with the company.

      5. Affidavit of non-employment indicating that the document owner has no pending civil or criminal case or criminal records, if not employed at the time the petition was filed.

      6. Affidavit of self-employment indicating that the document owner has no pending civil criminal case or no criminal record, if self-employed at the time the petition was filed.

      7. Certification issued by the Office of the Dean of Student Affairs, if the document owner is a college student.

      8. Certification issued by the Guidance Counselor, if the document owner is in Elementary or High School.

      9. NBI and POLICE CLEARANCE – purpose indicated must be for the correction of the day and month on the date of birth in the birth certificate. If document owner is 0 to 7 years old, this requirement is waived.

      10. For married petitioners – Latest PSA (formerly NSO) copy of marriage certificate issued by the local civil registrar.

      11. Documents that will show proof of the correction being sought such as Service Records, GSIS or SSS Records, Insurance Certificates and Income Tax Returns.

      12. Two (2) photocopies of valid ID of the petitioner and the document owner and one (1) copy of latest community tax certificate from the place of work or residence.

      13. Special Power of Attorney (SPA), if the document owner is abroad or physically or mentally incapacitated. He or she can be represented by a lawyer or his or her nearest relative up to the third degree of consanguinity.


  5. I’m 68 yrs old and just found out that my first name on birth certificate registered by the hilot or comadrona was different.from the firstname i’ved been using since then. All my documents my baptismal, my educational papers, my medical papers, my sss, my marriage cert. , are all the same name that i used. This was not corrected by my.parents cause they can’t afford to do so. Can you help me please. Thank you.

    1. Hi Ma’am Aurora,

      Is the name simply misspelled or is it an entirely different name from the one you are using?

      You can have it “changed” through a court order (which takes time and may entail costs). Some establishments simply require an Affidavit that will confirm that you and the person whose name appears in your birth certificate are one and the same.

      You may consult a lawyer friend for the details of the court proceeding for name change.

      We hope this helped po.


  6. Sir, what if hindi sila makabigay? Pag pumupunta po kasi ako sa kanila, lagi lang nilang sinasabi nasa NSO manila na daw, then yun din daw yung naka note sa system nila. yun lang yung status. Ni hindi nila ako mabigyan ng specific date kung ilang araw bago mabalik yung papers ko.

      1. Thank you so much sir. At least naliwanagan ako, I thought, I will be waiting for nothing. Last question po, if ever meron na akong proof of endorsement, to whom will I follow up sa PSA? any contact na pwede kong matawagan or ma email? Thanks and God bless!

  7. Hi Sir, Good day! I filed last November 2016 for correction of my name. Ask ko lang sir, how long does it take to process? the in-charge told me na 3months lang, but April 2017 na po, wala pa rin akong narereceive na feedback from them. By the way, I’m from Davao City. According sa in-charge ipapadala daw ho ang documents sa NSO Manila. Once mapadala na, wala na daw ho silang control to when the documents will be back. 5 months is taking too long. Pending ho ang passport application ko because of this. I hope you help resolve my problem. Thanks and God bless!

      1. Wala po. I only have claim stub. They keep on telling me na nasa NSO Manila na raw po ang documents ko. Yun lang. Nakakadismaya lang kasi wala po silang magawang follow up if ever na nandoon na nga ang documents. Paulit2 lang nilang sinasabi na wala silang control sa sistema ni NSO Manila.

  8. Hello po. Ang problem po sa First name ko po ay instead na CHERRY ang nakalagay po sa birth certificate ko po ay ganito “CHEERY” dalawang E po. 23 y/o na po ako at yan po ang sinunod ko sa lahat po ng mga papers at i.d ko sa pag graduate s college hanggang sa trabaho po, gusto ko po ipacorrect ito nakakabothered po kasi ang pronounciation, ano ano pong mga hakbang ang gagawin ko po at anu ano pong mga dokumento ang kailangan ko pong icomply sa manila city hall… Thank you po sa pagsagot,, salamat po.. wait ko po rely nyo…

  9. good day sir, ask ko lang po, ipapacorrect ko po sana typo error nung first name ko, “Anne” po dapat instead po “Ann” saka po yung middle name ko po “Belvis” instead po “Belviz” isa na lang po ba processing fee na babayaran ko for correction of first name and middle name? thank you!

      1. sa manila po LCR ko. isa na lang po ba yun processing fee since isang birth cert naman po. thank you

  10. paano po sa Quezon City po kami nakatira .kc ang mr ko po ay may mali po sa first name po nya dapat ang pangalan po nya ay EDILBERTO pero angna type ALBERTO kaya kailangan po nyang maayos kc ,junior po sya. from cebu .pwede poba dito nalang ayusin po babtismal po nya tama .Birth Cert. lang po ang mali

  11. Hellow po ano po b ang gagawin k po kng mag pacorrect ako ng name po kc ang dami pong mali sa birthcerteficate ng anak k mag kano po b ang babayaran po kung mag pacorrect

    1. Hi Joana,

      Ano ba yung mga “mali” sa birth certificate ng anak mo? Typo errors ba or iba talaga yung pangalan o apelido na nakalagay?

      Ang correction kasi ay depende sa error. Kung typo error lang, pwedeng mag file ka lang ng affidavit of correction. May mga error din na kailangan ng court order.


  12. Hi sir ako po middle initial po maling letter sakin.. Same requirments rin po ba..jan ko din po sa manila city hall dapt paayos po kasi .. Thanks po..

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: