A child who is born to unmarried parents is considered illegitimate. When his parents decide to get married later on, his birthright may be changed to Legitimate after they satisfy the requirements for his legitimation.
Here are the requirements, steps, and fees when filing for legitimation and acknowledgment at the Manila City Hall:
What you need to bring:
Bring the ORIGINAL copies of the following documents to the Manila City Hall at Room 117-A:
- Latest Local Certified True Copy of the birth certificate of the child.
- Latest Copy of PSA Marriage Certificate of Parents.
- If issued in Manila – certified true copy will suffice
- If issued outside Manila – PSA (NSO)/SECPA copy only
- Latest Copy of Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR) of both parents from PSA (NSO).
- Original Baptismal Certificate of the child.
- If the name of the father does not appear on the birth certificate of the child, submit at least two (2) supporting documents from the following:
- SSS-E1 or E4 of the father where the child is declared as beneficiary.
- GSIS of the father where the child is declared as beneficiary.
- Income Tax Return of the father where the child is declared as beneficiary.
- Philhealth of the father where the child is declared as beneficiary.
- Insurance of parents where the child is declared as beneficiary.
- Original Copy of Report Card (F-138) and Certified True Copy of School Record (f-137) of the child wherein the name of the father is declared and the signature of the father is affixed on the card.
- Statement of Assets and Liabilities
- If mother is deceased, submit the latest Certified True Copy of PSA Death Certificate.
- If father is deceased, an Authentic Writing will be needed. In this case, submit the following documents listed under number 5 or any other records that will prove the filiation of the child or documents to show that the father has acknowledged the child.
- Submit a photocopy of the valid ID and Community Tax Certificate of parents.
Process of Filing:
- Parent/s must appear at the Manila City Hall for interview.
- Bring valid IDs and Community Tax Certificate for verification.
- If the child is of legal age, he must appear for interview as well. Bring valid IDs and Community Tax Certificate for verification.
All applications for Legitimation and Acknowledgment are subject for evaluation. Interviews are done every Tuesday and Wednesday only.
- Legitimation with Paternity P540.00
- Legitimation without Paternity P590.00
- Legitimation with Paternity P620.00
- Legitimation without Paternity P670.00