Manila City Hall_8

A marriage license is required of couples who intend to get married in a church or through civil rites.  It can be secured at the city or municipal hall where the marrying parties reside.  The marriage license may be used anywhere in the country and is valid for 120 days.

Here are the list of requirements and steps to follow when applying for a marriage license at the Manila City Hall.

What you need to bring:

 For applicants between 18 to 21 years old

  1.  Birth certificate
    • Latest certified local copy – if born in Manila
    • PSA birth certificate – if born outside Manila
    • Latest original copy of baptismal certificate if the applicant does not have a record of birth.
  2. Latest PSA Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR)
  3. Valid ID with address in Manila – bring the original copy and one photocopy
  4. Parental Consent (provided for under Article 14 of the Family Code of the Philippines)
    • Parent to appear at the Manila City Hall; bring a valid ID (original and photocopy)
    • Father, Mother, or Guardian – follow this order when one of the parents is not able to personally appear at the city hall.
    • Marriage Counseling – Manila Health Department and MSWD

For applicants between 21 to 25 years old

  1. The same requirements as for applicants between 18 to 21 years old:
  2. Parental Advice – Marriage license shall not be issued until after three months if parental advice is not obtained of if parents are not in favor of the marriage.  During the 3-month waiting period, the publication of the application shall be completed.  A sworn statement of the contracting parties must likewise be submitted indicating therein that the parents refuse to give advice.

For applicants above 25 years old

  1.  The same requirements as above:
  2. If the applicants are foreigners or former Filipino citizens but are now naturalized citizens of another country:
    • Passport – original and photocopy
    • Legal capacity to marry to be issued by their respective embassy in the Philippines.

If one of the applicants is a former Filipino citizen and a divorcee or foreign national formerly married to a Filipino, submit a Judicial Recognition of the absolute decree of divorce obtained abroad of his/her previous marriage.

Steps to follow:

  1. Request for an Order of Payment.
  2. Attend the seminar
    • For applicants 18 to 24 years old, proceed to Room 128-MHD and Room 108-MSWD
    • For applicants 25 years old and above, proceed to Room 128-MHD
    • A fee of Php 150.00 must be paid for the seminar.
  3. After the seminar, submit all documents to Ms Myrna Lopez at the counter for the application for Marriage Licenses.
  4. Marriage License will be released after 10 days.

Other reminders:

  1. If the applicants underwent a change in nationality, present naturalization papers/election of citizenship.
  2. If father is a foreigner and the mother is a Filipina, born from 1973 and earlier, please present an Affidavit of Citizenship.
  3. Please observe proper attire during oath-taking.  Avoid wearing shorts, sando, and slippers.