The Manila City Hall Series: How To Correct Clerical Error on Middle Name or Mother’s Name of an Unmarried Petitioner Part 4 of 16

Manila City Hall_4

As Filipinos, we consider it very important to use our mother’s maiden last name as our middle name.  Although we are widely known to practice patriarchal system in families (and sometimes, businesses), we are also known to give utmost reverence to our mothers and her lineage.

That is why it is important to make sure that the middle name written on our birth certificates are accurate and can be read clearly.  Any discrepancy on the middle name and mother’s maiden name declared on our civil registry documents may cause problems in our transactions in the future.

The following is a detailed article on how Manila residents can file for the correction of clerical errors on their Middle Names and their Mother’s Name on their birth certificates.  Please note that although majority of the entries are consistent with how other city halls process this type of petition, there may just be some distinct processes and requirements that are applicable only at the Manila City Hall.  These were lifted from the website of the Manila City Hall.

What Do I Need To Bring?

(a). 2 copies of latest PSA birth certificate of your mother.

(b). If your mother is deceased, bring 2 copies of PSA death certificate.

If you were issued a Certification of No Record”, please submit a copy of Birth Certificate or Marriage Contract of your mother’s brother or sister.

(c). 2 copies of PSA Marriage Certificate of your parents.

If you were issued a Certificate of No Record, please submit birth certificate of at least 2 brother or sister.

(d). 2 copies of baptismal certificate

(e). 2 copies of school records (Elementary, High School, or College).  Form 137 or Transcript of Records will do.

(f). 2 certified copies of Voter’s Registration record/voter’s affidavit (COMELEC).

(g). 2 copies of valid IDs of the petitioner and the document owner and 1 copy of latest community tax certificate from the place of work or residence.

(h). Other documents which the Office may consider relevant and necessary for the approval of the Petition.

Reminder: All Marriage Contracts, Birth and Death Certificates to be submitted should be latest certified Xerox copies if issued in Manila.  If issued outside Manila, all documents must be in Security Paper of PSA (formerly NSO).

Step-by-step Process

(a). Submit all documentary requirements to R.A. 9048 receiving table for assessment and initial interview.

(b). Bring all original documents and I.D.s to Tables 1 & 2.

(c). Have your petition paper prepared at the Computer Table.

(d). Line up for your interview.  Please come early as this follows a “first come, first served” queuing system.

(e). After your interview, proceed to Room 214 (City Legal’s Office) for notarization.

(f). Pay the necessary fees at the Tax Payer’s Lounge.

  • Registration Fee – P1,000
  • Certified True Copy Fee – P230
  • Transmittal Fee – P210

(g). Proceed to Table 3 and have your petition papers and all other documents “Received”.  You will be give a schedule for follow ups on the status of your petition.

Please be reminded that the Manila City Hall does not conduct interviews during Fridays.



Published by MasterCitizen

I collect citizen facts and the usual stuff that might be important for a Pinoy's everyday life....Subscribe to get updates, opinions, and news.

25 thoughts on “The Manila City Hall Series: How To Correct Clerical Error on Middle Name or Mother’s Name of an Unmarried Petitioner Part 4 of 16

  1. hello, good day po.Panu po ba gagawin pag yung middle initial ng nanay ang naging apelyido ng bata imbes na yung apelyido ng nanay.Nag kabaliktad po kasi sa birth certificate yung middle initial at apelyido ng nanay sa birth certificate kaya po ang naging middle initial e yung middle initial din ng nanay. And 3-6 months din po ba process kung sakali man?salamat po

  2. Hello po, Good day! Ask lang po sana ako dun sa requirements po. . . if what do you mean by copies ? Original or xerox copies lang po ng Original?

    Thank you in advance po sa sasagot! 🙂

  3. Hi, about po sa requirements, sa 2 copies of documents po dapat ho ba original ang dalawang documents? or 1 original copy and 1 xerox copy lang? pls answer po? salamat po…

    second question po:
    – if 3-6 months ang process para mag reflect corrected name sa NSO, paano po ba yan if needed talaga ang NSO corrected para i submit sa DFA. mabibigay ho ba ang PSA ng atleast 1 new corrected copy para maka kuha na ako ng passport? or mag wait pa ako ng 3-6months para matapos na ako sa DFA? pls help needed ko talaga maka kuha ng passport fail kac appointment ko dahil sa birth of place ko na walang city at tsaka hindi spelled out yung nationality ko F lang ang nakalagay at no date recieve at may dash ang surname ng mama ko, hand written kac. maraming salamat po…

    1. 3-6 months talaga yan inaabot. tanong mo sa DFA kung ok lang na certified true copy with PSA autheentication yung isa submit mo kasi mas muuna yung kopya na yun eh. Requirements ano ba sabi sa list mo original ba or photocopy lang?

  4. Tanong ko lang young sa pangalan po nang sister ko ay middle enitial lang at sa nanay ko at kumpleto middle name,panu po eto eprocess mtgal ba maayos how many months??

  5. Hi ako po si Hazel, tanong ko lang po kasi ang dala ko na apilyido ay sa nanay ko at dahil illigitimate child ako wala daw ako dapat middle name ngayon ho ang problema sa bc ko ay mali po ang ispeling ng apilyido ko ang nakalagay sa bc ko DIO(G)UINO ang tama po na ispeling ng apilyido ko ang DIO(Q)UINO dapat Letter Q ang nakalagay ang nakalagay ay letter G ngayon po tanong ko lang kung saan pwedeng ipaayos ang ispeling ng apilyido ko at ano po ang mga requiarments na dapat dalhin Salamat po

  6. Good afternoon po!

    Last name po ng nanay ko ang gamit ko. Ang problem ay nalagay din yung middle name nya sa birth cert. ko which according sa isang atty. ay dapat ipa-correct. Ngayon sa requirements po tulad ng school records, sinabihan po ako dati sa city hall na dapat ang name na nakalagay doon ay corrected na. Meaning, dapat wala na pong middle name yung isusubmit kong school records (pati na rin yung ibang requirements) sa city hall. Tama po ba yun?

    Sa records naman po ng mother, kailangan din po ba na spelled out yung middle name nya or allowed na yung initial lang? Paano rin po kung walang voter’s ID/registration record ang nanay?

    Maraming salamat!

    1. Hi Mimi,

      ANg tanong mo ba ay kung papano tatanggalin yung middle name mo? Pwede naman pero kailangan dumaan sa court order. Gagastos ka ng malaki diyan dahil magha-hire ka ng services ng isang lawyer.

      Sa civil registry documents tulad ng birth certificate, hindi pwedeng initials lang ang nakalagay. Kailangan spelled out lahat ng mga apelido.


  7. Ang nanay ko po ay dalawang pangalan ang ginagamit.marina po xa sa ibang dokumento pro ang totoong pangalan nia ay anita.wla nmang problema sa apelyido nia nung dalaga xa at my asawa nia pngalan lng.Ngaun po ano po ba ang Dpat gwin pra maayos kc mas gusto niang marina ang gamitin niang pangaln dhil karamihan sa dokumento nia marina po xa. Slmat po sa mgpapayo..

  8. Ano po dapat gawin kung illegitimate ang bata pero ang nkalagay sa birth certificate nya ay legitimate cya, ang father po kc ng bigay ng info sa hospital pra madala surname nya nglagay cya ng date and place of marriage. Pano po gagawin pra mabago un mali info sa birth certificate ng bata?

  9. Pa2long naman po sa inyo..Panu po pag illigitimate at need nya magkaron middle name pra sa pag apply nya passport kc dpo pwede bigyan ng work visa sa saudi pag wla middle name. Pwede po ba nya ulitin ung apelyedo nya to be his middle name? Anu po pwede gawin? Tnx po

  10. Hello, Good day po. Ask ko lang if applicable po yung issue ng Birth Certificate errors ko po for RA 9048. Both my and my mother’s middle names on my BC are wrong. Pwede ko po ba ifile sa Civil Registry ng Manila?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: