Problems on NSO Marriage Certificate : Misspelled Names of Bride or Groom

Misspelled Name of Bride or Groom

A marriage certificate is a vital civil registry document that attests to the union of a man and a woman. That is why it is important that the information written on the certificate are all accurate.

So what happens when you miss an entry or misspell a name in a marriage certificate?  Can these be corrected like how you correct an erroneous entry in a birth certificate?

Larps (short for Pilar) is a military nurse at a government hospital.  She plans to migrate to the U.S. as soon as she is granted a working visa.  When she met Steve, a U.S. Navy officer, they fell in love and decided to get married through civil rites in Quezon City.  After honeymooning in Boracay, Steve left for the U.S. and promised Larps that he will work on her petition papers as soon as he lands.

She began working on her documents, foremost of which is getting her passport renewed.  Steve reminded her to make sure she uses her married name on her passport from Maria Pilar T. Sorosa  to her married name of Maria Pilar S. Winters.

Larps requested for a copy of her PSA birth certificate and PSA marriage certificate as these were part of the documentary requirements for her passport renewal.  When she received the documents, she realized that the name appearing on her marriage certificate is slightly different from the name written on her birth certificate.

On her birth certificate, her name is written as Maria Pilar while on her marriage certificate, it is written as Ma. Pilar.  Right away, she knew this was going to be a concern especially since she will be presenting these documents at the U.S. Embassy.

How does a person have the information on her PSA marriage certificate corrected for errors?

These types of errors are covered by R.A. 9048 or the Clerical Error Law.  This law authorizes the LCR offices to apply corrections on birth and marriage certificate errors that are obviously due to typographical oversights.

Larps need only to file a petition for the correction of her name’s spelling on her marriage certificate, through R.A. 9048.  She needs to have it “corrected” so that her full name, Maria Pilar, as it is written on her birth certificate, appears on her marriage certificate.  Since they got married in Quezon City, she has to file the petition at the city hall of Quezon City.

Based on the Philippine Statistics Authority’s (PSA) website, the filing fee for such corrections is P1,000, while the wait time to get the corrected copy shall be determined by the LCR.

It is better to address these corrections at the onset than wait until you are almost done with the filing process before you act on it.  Simple clerical errors can now be handled by the LCR and the sooner you file for correction, the sooner you can get on with your transactions.





Published by MasterCitizen

I collect citizen facts and the usual stuff that might be important for a Pinoy's everyday life....Subscribe to get updates, opinions, and news.

21 thoughts on “Problems on NSO Marriage Certificate : Misspelled Names of Bride or Groom

    1. Ang rates po for delayed registration of birth ay nagva-vary per municipality. Pinaka mabuti po ay mag inquire kayo sa munisipyo kung saan niyo balak magpa late register.

      1. Ok na po. Tiningnan sa LCR yung original na nakalist, yun nalang daw ang susundin na name so same na sa marriage certificate. Pero meron pa po akong question regarding naman sa NSO Birth Certificate ko. Mali Kasi Ang middle name niya dun sa birth certificate ko. Ano pong requirements Ang need ko isubmit, lalo na wala ako sa pinas? Salamat.

  1. Anu anu po requirements needed sa pag file ng correction. confusing po kasi nakalagay sa site nila. Planning to correct my dad’s first name.

    1. Hi Maurice,

      Pwede kayong mag file ng petition for correction of clerical error sa LCR kung saan naka register ang birth certificate ng father ninyo. Upon filing, sasabihin sa inyo kung ano ang mga documents na kailangan ninyong i-submit.


  2. Matagal n po kming nagpetition s marriage contract nmin kc iba ang ne ng mrs k years n po nka ilang padala n kmi s nso puro bar code ang cnsabi pano po ito.

  3. tanong ko lang po kung panu po pag mali yung nailagay na maiden name ng parents sa marriage certificatecanu po ang gagawin?

  4. tanong ko lang po kung panu po pag mali yung nailagay na maiden name ng parents sa marriage certificatecanu po ang gagawin?

  5. please ask lng po ako kung magfile ng correction of entry pwede ba yun sa wabesite lng? kung hinde makapunta ng manila?kasi malayo na ako nakatira.paano po ba ang dapat gawin pag ganitong sitwation pra maayus ang meragecontruct ko? pwede ba rin ipadala nalang ang bayad?at gaano rin po katagal after magfile ng corretion?pls help me.thank you

      1. okey thanks po master.mag hanap po ako ng tao pra i authorize after ko mag inquire.pwedi ko po bang malaman sa inyo kung anung phone nomber ang tatawagan ko pra mag inquire?maraming salamat po ulit.

  6. Please help me, how to correct my marriage certificate. My husband is US citizen but his citizenship on our marriage certificate encoded as Filipino. Can you help me how to correct this. Thank you.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: