Problems with NSO Birth Certificate: Date of Parents’ Marriage on Child’s Birth Certificate is not the same as Date on Their Marriage Certificate

Incorrect Date of Marriage

What are the consequences of wrong information on official documents such a child’s certificate of live birth?  How can these be corrected?

Dindo and Karen were childhood sweethearts who got separated while they were attending college in different provinces.  When they began working in Manila, their paths crossed again and this time, Dindo did not waste time and asked for Karen’s hand in marriage.  They got married in civil rites and in about five months, announced that they were expecting their first child.

One year into their marriage, Karen gave birth to a healthy baby girl.  Dindo accomplished the certificate of live birth at the hospital, wrote down all the details needed including the date of their marriage the year before that.

In 2014, their daughter turned six years old, ready to begin pre-school.  Both parents were excited to enroll her at the neighborhood Montessori.  Karen was given a list of required documents for submission and foremost were copies of the child’s PSA birth certificate and the couple’s PSA marriage certificate.  Karen ordered for copies of the said documents and was oddly surprised to find out that the PSA does not have a record of their civil wedding.

They did not bother to check with the solemnizing officer who married them six years ago.  Instead, they got married again and this time, made sure that their papers were duly submitted to the PSA for proper certification.  Before the year ended, they got hold of a copy of their PSA-certified marriage certificate.  At last, they can enroll their daughter to school!

Or so they thought.  The headmistress of the school pointed out that the date of their marriage on their child’s birth certificate does not agree with the date on their marriage certificate.  And although they are not refusing the child’s enrollment, the couple needs to submit the correct copies of their documents before the school year ends.

So what should Karen and Dindo do in order to get their family’s civil registry documents corrected and aligned?

As in any other case of Negative Certification (issued by the PSA if your requested civil registry document does not appear in their files), Karen and Dindo need to check with the solemnizing officer who married them six years ago and find out if he had submitted their documents to the LCR of that city / municipality.  If he did, they need to check with the LCR if they have the copy and request that the LCR endorse a copy to the PSA for the necessary certification.

But how about their subsequent marriage?  Will this have an effect on the integrity of their existing civil registry documents?

The details of the couple’s first marriage, after LCR has endorsed the documents to the PSA for proper certification, shall be followed in all of their other documents, including their child’s birth certificate.  Their second marriage is considered a “renewal of vows” but its details (date, place) shall not supersede the details of their first marriage.




Published by MasterCitizen

I collect citizen facts and the usual stuff that might be important for a Pinoy's everyday life....Subscribe to get updates, opinions, and news.

32 thoughts on “Problems with NSO Birth Certificate: Date of Parents’ Marriage on Child’s Birth Certificate is not the same as Date on Their Marriage Certificate

  1. Kasal po kami ng asawa ko twice, 1 civil at 1 sa simbahan. Paano po kung iba-iba ang date na nakalagay sa BC ng mga anak ko, mayroon date nun kinasal kami sa Civil at yun sa 2 ang date na kinasal kami sa simbahan? Need pa po bang baguhin yun?

    1. Kung hindi naman nakaka apekto sa legitimacy ng anak niyo yung dates of marriage, okay lang naman. Ang ibig nating sabihin: kunwari ipinanganak ang anak mo ng 1985 tapos ang nilagay na year of marriage ninyo ay 1989, may impact yun sa legitimacy ng anak ninyo as far as the birth certificate is concerned.

  2. Hello po,
    Ask ko lang magkaiba yun marriage date sa birth cert at sa marriage contract ng magulang ko.
    Panu kaya macocorrect yun. Salamat po.


  3. may problema po ako sa bc ng anak ko hindi nman po tlga kasi ako kasal sa dati ko asawa pero married ang nklagay sa bc ng anak ko..kapag ba nagpunta po ako kung saan ako nanganak at nagpunta sa civil registry at humingi ng letters para patunay na hindi tlaga kami kasal pde na po ba pruweba yun?

    1. Hi April,

      Pwede kang mag request ng kopya ng CENOMAR mo o Certificate of No Marriage. Kung hindi ka pa talaga nakasal, dapat ang lalabas sa CENOMAR mo ay single ka. Yan ang magpapatunay na hindi ka pa talaga kinasal.


  4. Mali po ang birthday ng tatay ko sa marriage contract nila ng nanay ko, 12/19/46 ang tama po ay 12/19/45. Panu po makokorek to. Mali din po ang date ng marriagge at place of marriage sa birth certificate ko. Panu po makokorek to?

    1. Yung sa M.C ng parents mo nag pa file sila ng correction of netry sa munisipyo kung saan naka register yung kasal nila. Yung sa iyo naman correction of entry din sa local kung saan ka naka register.

  5. Ung birth certficate ko meron maria corazon, sa married certificate ko walang maria corazon, kailangan ko malagyan ng maria corazon ang aking married certificate, kc po kailangan ko sa pag alis ko sa ibang bansa, pwede po ba ng correction un? Gaano po katagal if ever…

  6. Tanong ko lng po.3 po kme mgkaKapatid tpos ung nso birth cert. Namen nklagay na marriage date ng parents namen Dec. 27,1993. Ung date tlaga na un cla kinasal. Pero Hindi pla naka register .nparegister Feb. 2004. Un po nklagay sa marriage contract. Panu po Nkalagay sa nso

  7. Tanong q lang po magpapasport po kc yun anak ko na 5 yrs.old kaso po yun BC nya dipa kame married pero apelyido ng tatay nya gamet nya after 1 year kme bagu nagpakasal .paano po kaya yun.

  8. Ask ko lang po kung pano magpadelete ng name?? 2 po kc ung name na naka rihistro sa Nso sabi po nila need daw na ipadelete ang isa.At may bayad po ba?

  9. hello po ask ko sana kc ung 1st child was born b4 i got married he wasborn 1992 & nag married ako ng 1997 kaso ung birth cert. nya may date of marriage march 1991 wc is not true, anu po gagawin ko now his 24 yrs. old i want to correct it sana? pls help

      1. Dear Ma’am/Sir,
        Good day.I just wanna enquire about my case as my daughter BRINGS MY SURNAME now which is ARREZA the father executed the affidavit of acknowledgement from PHILIPPINE EMBASSY in UNITED KINGDOM. Now we done submitting it to local civil registrar and we waited 3 months to get the result. Yesterday I went to the PSA in our region but the result is complicated as the hand written of my boyfriend is not very clear instead of PATRICK FRANCIES they read it as PATNA FRANCIES . And the main office in Manila give a feedback of resolving it from the local civil registrar. However that affidavit of acknowledgement of is being made in the Philippine Embassy in the UK with her father. It’s being registered in UK all legal documents are there. And they simply didn’t want (PSA) change because he’s hand writing is not clear. I hope to know if you can help us with this matter. The Philippine Embassy registered this documents already in United Kingdom. What we should do and how we do it?

        Here are the names:

        We hope to hear what you can do or we can do about this matter to get resolve.
        Thank you so much,looking forward for your kind reply to us.

  10. Ask lang po kase kpag kumukuha ako ng nso birth certificate wala pong name ? Pinaayos ko na po sa munisipyo year 2000 pa po ata til now blanko prin po yung lumalabas sa nso? Ano po dpat kong gagawin?

    1. Nung na paayos mo ba binigyan ka nila ng kopya ng endorsment na na forward na sa PSA(NSO) ang pinagawa mong process? Dalhin mo sa PSA yung kopya na nakuha mo sa munisipyo.

  11. Pano po Yung birth certificate ko Wala pong nakalagay Kung anong gender ko? Please i need a reply. Thank you..

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: