Wrong Gender

How do you correct a person’s gender in his NSO Birth Certificate (now PSA Birth Certificate)?  If he is male but his birth certificate shows him as “female”, can he have his birth certificate updated to show his correct gender?

If your birth certificate shows an incorrect gender, it is considered a clerical error and therefore, can be rectified by filing a petition for clerical or typographical error.  This can be done at the Local Civil Registry (LCR) office of the city or municipality where the birth was registered.

Here is what you need to do:

  1. The petition shall be in the form of an affidavit, subscribed and sworn to before an authorized notary public (someone authorized by law to administer oaths, particular erroneous entries that need to be corrected).
  2. The petition must be supported by the following:
    • A certified true machine copy of the certificate of the page of the registry book containing the entry sought to be corrected;
    • At least two public or private documents showing the correct entry upon which the correction or change shall be based;
    • Other documents that may be required by the LCR.
  3. Other documents that the petitioner needs to attach are:
    • Earliest school records
    • Medical records
    • Baptismal certificate
    • Medical certificate issued by an accredited government physician to prove that you have not undergone a sex change or sex transplant.
  4. Expect additional document requirements as may be found necessary.

In the event that the petition is granted, the decision shall be forwarded to the PSA and the proper annotation on your birth certificate shall be applied.

We have a summary of solutions to the most common PSA birth certificate problems!  Read our blog, Common PSA Birth Certificate Problems (and their solutions!).

Source: http://www.manilatimes.net/gender-error-in-birth-certificate/86168/