I Know My Name Is Pedro

What if the first name you have been using all your life is not the name written on your NSO Birth Certificate (now PSA Birth Certificate)?  )?  Is it possible to have such errors corrected?  Let’s find out from “Pedro”.

His family and friends have always called him Pedro, “Pete” for short.  In a sea of long, convoluted combinations and spellings of kids’ names that seem to have become a norm in the ‘90s, his was straightforward, easy to recall, and even patriotic.  He was really proud of his name and at a very young age, he has decided to make his first son a Pedro Junior.  He was that proud.

One very unexpected day, Pedro’s teacher called him aside and showed him a piece of paper.  The teacher said that the paper is Pedro’s PSA Birth Certificate except that Pedro could not find his first name on it!  All the other details were correct: his birth date, birth place, the names of his parents, except for that one tiny detail which happens to be his first name.

On the Birth Certificate, his name is Peter.  English for Pedro.  It was like a really bad joke.

If you were in Pedro / Peter’s place, what would you do?  Pedro / Peter found the need to do this because all his school records bear the name Pedro, instead of Peter.  Even his school I.D. shows his name as Pedro.

So how exactly do you get to correct your first name on your birth certificate?

First, you need to file a petition to change your first name in accordance with the provisions in R.A. 9048.  This includes corrections for errors like Ma. to Maria.

a). The following may file for the said petition:

  • Owner of the record
  • Owner’s spouse
  • Children
  • Parents
  • Siblings
  • Grandparents
  • Guardian
  • Other person duly authorized by law or by the owner of the document sought to be corrected;
  • If the owner of the record is a minor or physically or mentally incapacitated, petition may be filed by his spouse, or any of his children, parents, siblings, grandparents, guardians, or persons duly authorized by law.

b). If the owner was born in the Philippines, the petition shall be filed with the Local Civil Registry (LCR) Office of the city or municipality where the birth is registered.  In case he has transferred to a different province far from where his birth was registered, he can have it processed at the LCR where he is currently residing.  Those registered abroad need to have the petition filed with the Philippine Consulate of the country where his birth was reported.

c). Petitioner must present the following documents:

  • Certified machine copy of the birth record containing the entry to be corrected;
  • Not less than two (2) private or public documents upon which the correction shall be based like baptismal certificate, voter’s affidavit, employment record, GSIS/SSS record, medical record, business record, driver’s license, insurance, land titles, certificate of land transfer, bank passbook;
  • Notice / Certificate of posting;
  • Payment of Three Thousand Pesos (P3,000) as filing fee.  For petitions filed abroad, a fee of $150 or equivalent value in local currency shall be collected;
  • Other documents which may be required by the concerned civil registrar;
  • NBO / Police Clearance, civil registry records or ascendants and other clearances as may be required by the concerned civil registry office;
  • Proof of publication.

Source: https://psa.gov.ph/civilregistration/problems-and-solutions/first-name-used-different-first-name-entered-birth