No First or Last Name in NSO Birth Certificate

What could be more disappointing than finding out that you do not have a first name or last name written on your NSO Birth Certificate (now PSA Birth Certificate)?

It could be that your parents were overwhelmed with joy when they first saw you that they failed to tell the nurses your name.  Or maybe they haven’t decided on a name yet and thought that they’d just have yours registered later on.  The clerk may have missed it.  Or the nurse.

There are a whole bunch of reasons why a PSA Birth Certificate would show a blank space where a first or last name should be.  But take heart; this can be corrected so that your name would clearly reflect on your Birth Certificate.

Here’s how:

a. You need to file a supplemental report to supply the missing entry.

b. Any of the following may file the said report:

  • Owner of the record
  • Owner’s spouse
  • Children
  • Parents
  • Brothers and Sisters
  • Grandparents
  • Guardian
  • Other person duly authorized by law or by the owner of the document sought to be corrected;
  • If the owner is a minor, physically or mentally incapacitated, the petition may be filed by his spouse, or any of his children, parents, brothers, sisters, grandparents, guardians, or persons duly authorized by law.

c. If the owner of the birth certificate was born in the Philippines, the reports must be filed with the Local Civil Registry (LCR) Office of the city or municipality where the birth is registered.  Otherwise, the report must be filed with the Philippine Consulate of the country where the birth was reported.  In case the owner (who was born abroad) is already in the Philippines, supporting documents for supplemental reports shall be coursed through the Department of Foreign Affairs, Office of Consular Affairs.

d. In support of your claim, you need to execute a notarized affidavit to explain why the name (first or last) was not supplied when the birth was registered.  Be prepared to submit other documents that may be required by the Local Civil Registry.

After your petition has been filed and accepted, you will be informed of the possible timeline when the changes may already be visible on your PSA Birth Certificate.