First or Last Name is Blurry or Misspelled

If your first or last names in your NSO Birth Certificate (now PSA Birth Certificate) are blurry or misspelled, its authenticity might be questioned by the office or agency to whom you are submitting it.  This may cause delays and even denials of transactions you are working on and you know how inconvenient that can get.

Here is what you can do to get a clearer copy of your birth certificate or have the misspelled entries corrected.

a. You can request the civil registrar to endorse a copy of the birth certificate that has clearer prints of the first, middle, or last name.  Endorsement shall be made to the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA).

b. In cases when copies from both the PSA and the civil registry bear blurry prints of the name, a petition to have the entries corrected must be filed.  The petition is considered as correction of clerical error and will be made under the provisions of R.A. 9048.

c. Any of the following personalities may file the above petition:

  • The owner of the document or any authorized representative.
  • PSA
  • Owner of the Record
  • Owner’s spouse
  • Children
  • Parents
  • Brothers or sisters
  • Grandparents
  • Guardian
  • Other person duly authorized by law or by the owner of the document sought to be corrected;
  • In case the owner is a minor, physically or mentally incapacitated, the following may file the petition on his behalf:
    • Spouse
    • Any of his children
    • Siblings
    • Grandparents
    • Guardians
    • Persons duly authorized by law

d. The petition may be filed at the Civil Registry office where the owner’s birth was registered; however, if born abroad, the petition must be filed at the Philippine Consulate Office where the birth was reported.

e. Take note of the following supporting documents that need to be attached to the petition:

  • Certified machine copy of the birth record containing the entry to be corrected;
  • Not less than two (2) private or public documents where correction shall be based such as:
    • Baptismal certificate
    • Voter’s affidavit
    • Employment record
    • GSIS/SSS records
    • Medical records or Business records
    • Driver’s License
    • Insurance and or Bank Passbook
    • Land Titles and or Certificate of Land Transfer
    • NBI, Police Clearance
    • Civil registry records of ascendants
  • Notice / Certificate of Posting
  • Filing fee of P1,000.00 if the petition was filed in the Philippines.  USD 50 or equivalent value in local currency if the petition was filed abroad.