First Passport

You’ve been waiting for the perfect time to take your toddler with you on your next out-of-the-country trip and be able to finally take a selfie with him by the Disneyland arch in Hong Kong. His first four years, when he is beginning to become curious with his surroundings but is also already familiar with cartoon characters he sees on TV, is probably the best time to take him on such trips. He hasn’t started school yet so it would be easier to plan trips without worrying about school schedules. Also, his very own passport will serve as his very first I.D., valid and accepted in government and business establishments.

Applying for your child’s first passport is easy. At the DFA in Aseana (Pasay City), you do not even need to get an appointment if your child is seven years old and below. Just make sure that you have all the IDs and supporting documents required by the DFA. Below is an updated list lifted from the

General Requirements:

  1. Confirmed appointment (except for 7 years old and below in DFA Aseana; 1 year old and below in other DFA branches).
  2. Personal appearance of minor applicant.
  3. Personal appearance of either parent and valid passport of parents (if minor is a legitimate child).
  4. Personal appearance of mother and proper ID or valid passport of mother (if minor is an illegitimate child).
  5. Original Birth Certificate of minor in Security Paper issued by the PSA or Certified True Copy of Birth Certificate issued by the Local Civil Registrar and duly authenticated by PSA. Transcribed Birth Certificate from the LCR is required when entries in PSA Birth Certificate are blurred or unreadable. Report of Birth duly authenticated by PSA is required if minor was born abroad.
  6. Document of identity with photo, if minor is 8-17 years old (for first time and renewal applicant) such as School ID or Form 137 with readable dry seal.
    • For minor applicants who never attended school, a Notarized Affidavit of Explanation executed by either parent (if minor is a legitimate child) / by mother (if minor is an illegitimate child) detailing the reasons why the child is not in school, is required.
  7. Marriage Certificate of minor’s parents duly authenticated by PSA (for legitimate child).
  8. Original and photocopy of valid passport of the person traveling with the minor.

For the rest of the requirements on different cases of taking a minor on an overseas travel, visit and click on Documentary Requirements.

Enjoy your trip!