How To Have Your School Credentials Authenticated by DFA

Red Ribbon.jpg

If you have plans of working abroad or will be working abroad soon, it is likely that your employers or the embassy of the country you will be working at will require for DFA-certified copies of your school credentials.  This is more commonly referred to as “Red Ribbon” because authenticated documents bear a red ribbon and the dry seal of the DFA.  The most common documents that need authentication are your Transcript of Records, Diploma, Certificate of Graduation, Form 137, and even your PSA Birth Certificate and Marriage Certificate (when applicable).

How does one get his or her school credentials authenticated by the DFA?

The entire process begins with the Authentication and Verification of your school, CHED, TESDA, and or the DepEd (whichever is applicable to the student).  Any of these agencies (depending on the school you graduated from – public or private) must issue you a CAV or a Certificate of Authentication and Verification.  This shall mean that the documents you are submitting for authentication by the DFA are certified authentic and verified by the above agencies and by your school.  The CAV shall then form part of the documents to be submitted to DFA for authentication.

Read on for the step-by-step process in authenticating school credentials from a private school.  Please note that public school and state university graduates may inquire at their Registrar’s office regarding document authentication.

How to Red Ribbon College Diplomas and Transcript of Records (TOR)

  1. Prepare three (3) copies of your TOR and diploma.
  2. Submit the copies to your college or university’s Registrar’s Office; they will mark these as certified true copies.
  3. Request for an Authentication Registration Form from your Registrar; fill out the form and other documents the Registrar will give you. Make sure all your entries are written legibly.
  4. Pay the necessary fees; this will depend on your school. After paying, claim the certified true copies of your TOR and diploma.
  5. Proceed to the CHED office in your area and advise that you need your school documents authenticated by the DFA. Submit the copies certified by your Registrar, fill out the application forms, and pay the necessary fees.
  6. You will be given a stub containing the date when may collect your Red Ribboned papers at the DFA.

How to Red Ribbon High School Diploma and Form 137

  1. Prepare two (2) photocopies of your high school diploma; proceed to your school’s Registrar’s Office and advise that you need your diploma to be certified as true copies.
  2. Request for an Authentication Registration Form from your Registrar; fill out the form and other documents the Registrar will give you. Make sure all your entries are written legibly.
  3. Have the following ready as supporting documents for the authentication of your high school diploma and Form 137:
    • Form 137 (student’s permanent records)
    • Certificate of Graduation
    • Diploma
    • Special Order Number (if student graduated from a private school)
    • 2 pcs Passport size photos
  4. When you are sure that you have completed all documentary requirements, proceed to the DepEd office and file the documents you need authenticated by DFA.  You will be given a stub so you would know when you may claim your Red Ribboned documents at the DFA.

Authentication Fees:

  1. Php 100 / document (4 days processing)
  2. Php 200 / document (1 day processing)

Important Reminders:

  1. Unclaimed authenticated documents will be disposed of by the DFA after three (3) months from date of release.
  2. DFA San Fernando Pampanga (Office of Consular Affairs – Authentication Division) now accepts authentication for the following documents:
    • NBI Clearance
    • PSA-issued documents in security paper including CENOMAR
    • Barangay Certification w/ Mayor Certification (issued within Regions 1, 2, 3, and CAR only).
    • Police Clearance (issued within Regions 1, 2, 3, and CAR only).
    • Affidavits of Employment, Trainings/Seminars,  and Baptism/Confirmation w/ Regional Trial Court (RTC) Certification (issued within Regions 1, 2, 3, and CAR only).
    • Other Notarized Documents (SPA, Affidavit of Support and Guarantee, Consent, etc.) with RTC Certification (issued within Regions 1, 2, 3, and CAR only).
    • Medical Certifications authenticated by DOH.
    • PRC Documents (issued within the NCR, Regions I, II, III and CAR only).
    • LTO License Certification (issued by LTO main office only).
    • Foreign Documents authenticated by the Philippine /Consulate or documents authenticated by Foreign Embassies/Consulates based in the Philippines.
    • School Records (TOR, Diploma, Form 137, etc) w/ CHED, TESDA, or DEP-Ed Certificate of Authentication and Verification (CAV) (issued within the NCR, Regions I, II, III and CAR only).
  3. An applicant may request for authentication through a duly authorized representative.  Make sure that the representative is prepared with the following upon application:
    • Valid ID
    • Signed authorization or SPA from the applicant
    • Photocopy of applicant’s ID bearing the applicant’s signature
    • Photocopy of authorized representative’s ID
  4. In case the document needs further verification, the applicant is advised to file at Authentication Division, Aseana Building, corner Bradco Ave., Macapagal Blvd., Parañaque City.
  5. Liaison Officers of Recruitment Agencies are not allowed to transact authentication services at any Regional Consular Office (RCO).


How to Red Ribbon Diploma, TOR, Form 137 in DFA


Published by MasterCitizen

I collect citizen facts and the usual stuff that might be important for a Pinoy's everyday life....Subscribe to get updates, opinions, and news.

31 thoughts on “How To Have Your School Credentials Authenticated by DFA

  1. hello po.. ask ko lang if kaylangan ba talagang sa DFA main office kunin yung red ribboned documents? or pwede ng dito sa local DFA office? from butuan city pa kasi ako.. thanks..

  2. Hello po,ung documents ko po napa dfa at red ribbon noong 2011 nung magabroad ako need ko ba ulitin lahat mula school,ched,dfa o pede i renew xa direct to dfa ?thanks!

  3. Hi, isang copy lang ba ng CAV lang at REd ribbon iniissue nila? , im a bit confused kasi ng requirement sa government nkalagay 2 authenticated copies. thank you very much

  4. Hi po, ask q lng kac ung friend q graduated from a public school from (surigao state college), panu un after magpa cav sa school registrar, dba certified true copy na un after nun ipapapdla na ba sa dfa manila or dadaan pa po sa CHED toos dfa manila?

  5. nung nagpunta ako sa school ko po (private university) for CAV pagkatapos nang lahat nang forms,bayad etc…pagbalik ko sa school for claiming ang ibinigay ay yung original TOR & Diploma at claiming stub for Dfa Authentication,,ibig sabihin ba ay yung school ko na ang nag.forward ng Certified true copies ko sa dfa dito sa cebu..may babayaran pa po ba ako sa dfa upon claimin my documents?thank you po..

    1. Hi Precious,

      Yes sila na ang nag forward sa DFA nung mga papers mo for authentication. Yes may babayaran ka pa din sa DFA. Huwag mong kalimutang dalhin yung claim stub na binigay sa iyo ng school.


  6. Hi po, ask ko lang ex-abroad po kasi ako. Now, rehired ng same company at needed ng red ribbon-ed TOR. Meron na po ako before pero kasi sa State Univ po ako nag-aral kaya from registrar,naiforward ko agad sa DFA po dati.Tinatanong ng agency ko now kung bakit wala daw CAV from Ched. Need ko pa po bang i-reauthenticate ito? Yun na po ba yung new process? May tatak na po kasi ng embassy ng bansang pupuntahan ko po ito, since galing na nga po ako dun. Sabi ng agency, baka expired na daw po?! Thanks in advance po sa reponse.

  7. hello po. balak ko po mag take ng dha exam saka ppunta ng dubai. ask ko lng po if kailangan ba na mag pa red ribbon ako ng docs po? thank u.

  8. Hi! Ilang months po pwedeng mag pa authenticate ng mag Documents sa DepEd at DFA? Kaka authenticate lang po ng documents ko last august. May kaunting problema po, kaya kailangan po ulet ipa-authenticate yung mga documents. Thanks!

  9. I have already CAV my documents from CHED last April 2016. I will be sending a representative to DFA to have them red ribbon this Sept 2016. Are my documents still valid for DFA red ribbon?

      1. Hi Po.

        Sa Private univeristy po ako. Kami talaga yung nag process sa CHED. Kaya na CAV pa lang. Wala na ako sa PI kaya representative ko nlg ang pupunta nlg manila for dfa.


        Yun kasi po yung concern ko, baka ma reject kasi nung april pa na cav. di ko kasi na asikaso nung pumunta na ako nang dubai.

      1. Hi! Ilang months bago ako pwedeng mkapag pa-authenticate ulet ng docs? Kaka unthenticate lang last august nung mga documents ko, pro may konting problema. Kelangan ko pa authenticate yung mga documents ko. Thanks!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: