POEA: Vacationing OFWs: Get your exit clearance early

Bonjour. Mabuhay.


News flash for OFWs vacationing for the holidays:


“Avoid the rush. Avoid the long lines”.

Administrator Hans Leo J. Cacdac advised balik manggagawa or overseas Filipino workers spending the holiday season in the Philippines to get their overseas employment certificate or exit clearance early and not get caught with the last-minute dash to return to their jobs abroad.

Cacdac said that the POEA, for several weeks now, have been gearing up for the anticipated arrival of thousands of OFWs this December and their subsequent departure after Christmas and New Year’s Day.

“The POEA has been improving its systems and expanding its facilities for the workers’ convenience, but still, we warn our OFWs not to wait for the last day of their vacation to get the exit clearance,” Cacdac said.

Cacdac advised OFWs to avoid the week after December 25 and January 1 when thousands of them troop to the POEA main office to have their travel documents processed.

He said the satellite processing units Trinoma, Quezon City; SM Manila near the Manila City Hall; and the Duty Free store in Parañaque City are now operational and are ready to accept applications for exit clearance during shopping hours.

OFWs going to their provinces may also acquire their exit clearance from the POEA’s offices in Baguio City; San Fernando City, La Union; Diosdado Macapagal International Airport in Clark Field, Pampanga; Calamba City; Legaspi City; Tacloban City; Iloilo City; Bacolod City; Cebu City, Cagayan de Oro City; Butuan City; Davao City; and Zamboanga City.

However, Cacdac said the most convenient way especially for those with tight schedule or little time to spare for the exit document, is to use the POEA’s balikmanggagawa appointment system which is free and available at bmappointment.poea.gov.ph. With the appointment service, the worker may choose the time, date, and processing unit most suitable to him or her.

Cacdac said OFWs may also get their exit clearance or OEC at the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO) nearest their jobsite before their departure to the Philippines.

The POEA also issues to OFWs a multiple travel exit clearance (MTEC), co-terminus with the validity of their employment contracts, but which shall not exceed two (2) years. The worker has the option to secure a maximum of 2 travel exit clearance during the validity of her or his existing contract depending on the provisions of the contract allowing frequent vacations.

According to Cacdac, the following are considered balik-maggagawa:

1). a worker who is on vacation or on leave from employment under a valid and existing employment contract and who is returning to the same employer regardless of any change in jobsite, to finish the remaining unexpired portion of the contract;

2). a worker who was rehired by the same employer after finishing his/her contract and who is returning to the same employer, regardless of a change in jobsite;

3). a returning worker whose employment contract was not processed with the POEA but was subsequently verified and registered with the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO) in the jobsite and who is returning to the same employer either as a worker-on-leave or rehire, regardless of any change in jobsite.

Returning workers would have to pay Php100 for POEA processing fee; US$25 or its peso equivalent for OWWA contribution on a per contract coverage; Php1,200 for one year Philhealth coverage; and a minimum of Php100 contribution to Pagibig Fund, Cacdac added.

The required documents are:

1) Php passport valid for 6 months from time of

2) Valid working visa/work permit: 3) Proof of employment such as
certificate of employment, company ID, pay slip, and other equivalent document.


POEA to vacationing OFWs: Get your exit clearance early


Published by MasterCitizen

I collect citizen facts and the usual stuff that might be important for a Pinoy's everyday life....Subscribe to get updates, opinions, and news.

13 thoughts on “POEA: Vacationing OFWs: Get your exit clearance early

  1. I’ve already done all my papers including owwa and poea papers all things are set,the problem is that i renew my passport here in the philippines,for certain reason,that upon returning to my jobsite is late for me to renew there,so i made it here in the PHIL.all my document papers,such as oec,poea owwa,contain my old passport number,is it still valid all my documents to travel,im afraid that upon going to the clearance area for OFW that they wont allow me to travel?

  2. the paper that written in arabic.proof that he is working in that company at the moment,the first employer is cancelled already.and now is working visa i.d is under the name of the company.

  3. hi i have cousin working in saudi jedda.and he need o.e.c but hes employer before is not the same at the moment.he change his employer.now he is in vacation.nd he need o..e.c he just holding passport,ticket,and working permit.and one paper that is written in arabic,it is possible that they can issue o.e.c.
    thxt …

    1. a contract with the employer is needed. if the vacationing OFW is returning to the same employer after vacation, then he can apply for OEC. go to the POEA to apply

        Tel No/s : 7088515/516718
        Email Address : samarec manila @ yahoo.com
        Website : None
        Official Representative : MAXIMO G MARICANI JR
        Status : Valid License
        License Validity : 9/17/2012 to 9/17/2016 –> This agency is not reliable. They dont give receipt of your payment. Their staff Evelyn Geroche Senato was no longer connected to them. but before she left the company she took my payment 14650 pesos. And they’re not taking the responsibility of their staff.

  4. Hi, I am going home to the Philippines on December 21 and back to SG on the 29th. I have 2 questions:

    – I was able to register as an OWWA member in 2009 and renewed it in 2011. However, I lost my passport and changed to a new employer effective October 2012 hence I believe I need to renew my OWWA membership. Can I renew my OWWA membership at the Satellite unit in Trinoma?

    – Can I also get an OEC from there? I am afraid that I may not be able to do any or both in the Philippines and I cannot afford to have delays in my flight. I plan to do this as early as possible when I reach the Philippines.

    Thanks in advance for your help.


      1. Thanks! I found old OEC and OWWA membership receipts so these should be fine to renew my OWWA membership in Trinoma and get the OEC as well. I plan to do this in Terminal 1, so as not to queue up in Trinoma.

  5. i appreciated your detailed ideas. i comment on the part of collecting pag ibig fund. what is the basis for instance the OFW is already overage above sixty years. are you still collecting for him. for what reason. he can not avail any laons anymore due to overages. thnx.

      1. ask lang po halimbawa nawala un oec ko by the time na paalis na ako,,,magiging dahilan po ba ito para hindi ako makapunta sa destination ko?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: