NSO Topic – Republic Act 9048 (PART 3)

Bonjour. Mabuhay.

Here’s the final part of the content on RA 9048.

Hope the information here helps you.



As in the case of correction of clerical error, no petition for change of first name shall be accepted unless the petitioner submits the required supporting papers, as follows:

  1. All the documents required of the petitioner for the correction of clerical error shall also be required of the petitioner for change of first name.
  2. Clearance from authorities such as clearance from employer, if employed; the National Bureau of Investigation; the Philippine National Police; and other clearances as may be required by the concerned C/MCR.
  3. Proof of Publication. An affidavit of publication from the publisher and copy of the newspaper clippings should be attached.



The C/MCR and the District/Circuit Registrar (D/CR) are authorized to collect from every petitioner the following rates of filing fees:

  • One thousand pesos (P1,000.00) for the correction of clerical error
  • Three thousand pesos (P3,000.00) for the change of first name

In the case of a petition filed with the Consul General (CG), the fees are the same for all Philippine Consulates. The fees are the following:

  • Fifty U.S. dollars ($50.00) for the correction of clerical or typographical error
  • One hundred fifty U.S. dollars ($150.00) for the change of first name

A migrant petitioner shall pay an additional service fee to the Petition Receiving Civil Registrar (PRCR).

This service fee shall accrue to the local treasury of the PRCR.

  • Five hundred pesos (P500.00) for correction of clerical or typographical error
  • One thousand pesos (P1,000.00) for change of first name



The general rule is that petition shall be filed with the Local Civil Registry Office (LCRO) where the record containing the clerical error to be corrected or first name to be changed is kept. Included in this general rule is the case of the Office of the Clerk of Shari’a Court where records of divorces, revocations of divorces, conversions to Islam are kept and where some Muslim marriages are registered.

However, in case the petitioner is a migrant within or outside the Philippines, meaning his present residence or domicile is different from where his civil registry record or records are registered, he may file the petition in the nearest LCRO in his area. His petition will be treated as a migrant petition.



Feel free to request for more info regarding any citizen services you might want.

Published by MasterCitizen

I collect citizen facts and the usual stuff that might be important for a Pinoy's everyday life....Subscribe to get updates, opinions, and news.

4 thoughts on “NSO Topic – Republic Act 9048 (PART 3)

  1. My Mother uses “Marianita” as first name since she started studying and all of her Id’s and her name on all the files. But we found out that her first name on “LCR” is “Nenita”. do you have any advice how to start fixing the issue? I’ll truly appreciate it. Thanks and more power.

    1. Miguel, normally, you have two choices. The first is to follow the name on the birth certificate and change all the other documents of your mother.
      The second is to undergo a court order, and change the name on the birth certificate to the one being used by your mother in all her documents. The second one will be costly, but you choose which is a better fit for your need.

      1. Wala na ba ibang requirements na pwede sila daw tanggapin? You can inform the local civil registrar what other documents you can present kapalit ng COMELEC

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: